Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tip for Riding California Screaming

Hi,
    This is my first post and I have a question for anyone out to help with a newbie.
    Going with friends this Monday to Disneyland and DSC and there I am ready to fast my deepest fear,riding california screaming for the first time,first time ever on coaster,so I asking,for some one who has been 'afraird' of coaster what is the best way to conquer the fear and enjoy the ride?.
    I will be very grateful for any and all insights.
    Thanks
    bannercaptain

• Minion

Re: Tip for Riding California Screaming

Hate to ruin this for anyone who hasn't been on CA Screamin' .....

Just be aware it takes off really fast at the begining. (You'll see as you walk by to get on....) It has one loop, I personally do not think it's bad at all. I have had friends who were TERRIFIED of roller coasters and they love this one! If you're afraid, just hold on tight and close your eyes who cares what others think or say! I personally think you'd be more afraid of Space Mountain because it's pitch black and you have no idea where you're going. (But that's a kick a** one too!!!) So if you're going to do DCA's CA Screamin you might as well go all out and do Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, and the Matterhorn! Hey it's Disneyland they aren't that scary at all, but again I love ROLLER COASTERS!!!

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by bannercaptain View Post
    Hi,
    This is my first post and I have a question for anyone out to help with a newbie.
    Going with friends this Monday to Disneyland and DSC and there I am ready to fast my deepest fear,riding california screaming for the first time,first time ever on coaster,so I asking,for some one who has been 'afraird' of coaster what is the best way to conquer the fear and enjoy the ride?.
    I will be very grateful for any and all insights.
    Thanks
    bannercaptain

Not sure from your post, but what other rollercoasters, if any, have you ridden? What scares you about Screamin? One nice thing to know is how smooth screamin is compared to thunder mountain or bobsleds (not sure about Space, it's been waaay too long since I've ridden that). In some ways, I think it's less scary than the drop on Splash mountain because you've got the shoulder harnesses holding you in place and there's really nowhere for you to go or move around too much.

• Bring Your Own Redemption

Screamin' has a couple of drops that you'll definitely feel if you're not into coasters, but overall, it's not that bad. Maybe watch a first-person video of the ride on YouTube so you have an idea of what to expect.

Don't be afraid of the launch or the loop. They're not bad at all.
    Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

• "I Break Things"

Sit in the middle of the coaster... if you are in front then you see everything coming, if you sit in back then you feel everything as you go. The middle of most coaster designs offers the best environment for anyone who is unsure of being on there to begin with.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Infinitized!

what is the best way to conquer the fear and enjoy the ride?
    Get liquored-up first.

Actually, I haven't ridden Screamin' yet myself. I could probably get through the ride fine, my concern is the launch. I'm good with fast velocities, it's fast accelerations I'm not too good with. I do love Space, Thunder, and the Matterhorn. Those are so far the biggest rollercoasters I've been on. I'm a weird person, for instance, I can handle Tower of Terror and I had no problem with the old Parachute Drop at Knott's, but for some reason I can't get myself to go on the Maliboomer.

As Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Bo, mentioned about closing your eyes - I don't recommend it. You'll get more sick with your eyes closed. I did it on Space when I was 6 and I thought I was going to cause a Code V.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

I was horrified of roller coasters for many, many, years. Heck, I wouldn't even go on Big Thunder, the Matterhorn, or Space Mountain for a long while. I don't want to scare you, but California Screamin' was my first roller coaster ride and I got a back and neck injury from it. I was very hesitant for many years after that to go on it because I was afraid the same thing would happen to me, but eventually...I went. Now I love it. I was a huge scardy-cat when it came to heights, dropping, twisting, almost anything. After 1 trip to Magic Mountain and 1 ride of Viper, I'm pretty much cleared on those issues. Anyways, request a seat towards the center and sit with your head back...I cannot stress that enough. If you sit leaning forward you are most likely going to hurt yourself when you go through the loop and if your head isn't back, you might bang it on the sides of the harness. The begining of the ride goes VERY fast, it's a blur. One moment you are listening to the "head back, face forward" spiel and the next you are shooting up the first hill. The beginning, for me, is the highlight.
    It's a pretty smooth coaster, so you won't be jerked around too much. There is only 1 loop, which you don't really feel. The only part that still gets me a little "iffy" is the the last 3-in-a-row mini drops, those can make me a little queasy but they only last a few seconds. You'll be fine! Beware: the ride can be addicting.

If you haven't seen a video on it...check out this one:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YyKKloFcj8"]YouTube - California Screamin[/ame]

If you want the technical information, go here: http://www.rcdb.com/id731.htm

Last edited by MsSarah; 05-13-2009 at 06:22 PM.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Going with friends this Monday to Disneyland and DSC
    What is "DSC?"

I'd say, just go for it. I guarentee by the end of the ride, you want to go again. Or if you want, start on a smaller coaster and work your way up to the larger coasters. Good luck!1

• Infinitized!

I think you should start out with something easy. First, break yourself in on Heimlich's Chew Chew Train. After you've mastered that, try Gadget's Go-Coaster...

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    I think you should start out with something easy. First, break yourself in on Heimlich's Chew Chew Train. After you've mastered that, try Gadget's Go-Coaster...
    ...Gadget's Go-Coaster freaks me out...

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Vasooki-land Owner

Okay, I was also terrified of riding this my first time.

All I can say is that the ride is super smooth. The drops aren't as bad as they seem. As suggested above, watching the video will probably help you. I memorized the track layout before I rode it my first time. The worst part IS NOT the loop. I remember that was what I was most scared of, but if you look at the floor, you don't even feel it that much. And those Over-The-Shoulder restraints make, at least me, feel safer.
    We are currently imagineeing a new attraction for you!

Please enjoy all the other attractions in fabulicious Vasooki-land!

• =)

I was a little afraid at first, I admit. But I eventually just went for it, and I don't regret it at all. As long as you pretend you didn't pay Disney prices to ride an unthemed roller coaster, it's a really fun ride.

First of all, if you've never been on a roller coaster before, I strongly recommend trying Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at Disneyland next door first. It's a tamer attraction, but still extremely enjoyable. You could also try Space Mountain instead of or in addition to BTMRR. If you're handling those just fine, step it up a notch and try Screamin'.

The big things to be "concerned" about, as others have said, are the launch, the drops, and the loop.

* The launch is, as far as I'm concerned, just pure fun. It basically feels like you're in a car and whoever's driving stepped on the gas really hard. Lasts just a few seconds, and it makes me laugh giddily every time. If you don't like this part, the good news is that it only happens once in the whole ride.

* The drops are, by Disney standards, pretty big. But all you feel is this weird sensation of lightness. Your body kinda tries to tell you that something is very wrong, since you're falling in a way that doesn't feel controlled, but your mind is telling you that everything will be fine, and if you're a coaster person, the result is adrenaline-pulsing fun. There are...what, three major drops, I think? Someone who's been on the ride more can probably give you a better count.

* The loop is actually probably my least favorite part of the ride. It'd be totally fine, except that my stomach tends to hurt a bit at the very top. But that only lasts a few seconds, and then it's done. And more importantly, most people don't have that problem! All you should feel is your butt being pressed firmly into the seat, thanks to the wonders of physics. You don't feel like you're upside-down. And again, it goes by so quickly that if you don't like it, it'll be over soon.

Now, if you tend to get motion sickness, Screamin' probably won't be a fun experience. But otherwise, you've really got nothing to lose, aside from a few minutes of your life. If you don't like it, you never have to go on it again! =) And if you do like it, all the better!

As for controlling anxiety and nervousness beforehand...don't. Sounds weird, I know, but I wouldn't suggest this if it didn't work. The trick to dealing with any anxiety you feel is to just let it happen. Remind yourself that the anxiety may be unpleasant, but you can handle it, and it won't hurt you. Encourage it to get worse. Try to make your heart pound faster, to force your butterflies to have butterfly sex and give birth to lots of new butterflies, to feel even more worried about the experience. And you know what'll probably happen? You'll feel better! It sounds insane, I know. But it's so true. And if you don't feel better...you can handle it! I promise! It just feels at the time like you can't.

And then, once you get all buckled into the coaster, there's nothing you can do about it. You're gonna ride, whether or not you want to. You just have to relinquish control and prepare for what will probably be an awesome experience. And if not...it'll all be over soon, and you won't have to do it again!

Wow...I'm really making this a long post. Do whatever you want, but have fun, in any case!

• "I Break Things"

In my best Rob Schneider voice... "YOU CAN DO IT"
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• "Always On The Move..."

I love old "woodie" rollercoasters...and this is unbelievably smooth. However, here is a tip that helped me with the acceleration in the beginning. I always would get queasy during it until a friend told me to scream during that part. Apparently I was holding my breath and the screaming helps force you to exhale. The exhale is what keeps you from getting queasy. (You could also just exhale, but I needed a longer more forceful way LOL)

Since I started doing that, (on just the acceleration), no more queasiness at all! Go and enjoy yourself and have a great time. Also, congratulations on facing your fear...not an easy thing to do!
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    As long as you pretend you didn't pay Disney prices to ride an unthemed roller coaster, it's a really fun ride.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast