View Poll Results: Most Intrigueing-Exciting Aspects Associated With StarTours Reboot

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Updates To the Attraction Facade-Queue

14 22.58%
  • Digitalized Upgrade w/ Plasma and HD Screen Projection

27 43.55%
  • Film Footage Shot In 3-D

10 16.13%
  • Lucas Film-Industrial Light & Magic CGI Graphics-Special Effects

15 24.19%
  • Randomly Changing Plotlines - Meaning Every Ride Will Be Different

44 70.97%
  • Facial Recognition Technology - Allowing For AA Characters To Refer To You, Personally

12 19.35%
  • Jeremy Bulloch Appearing As Bounty Hunter Boba Fett and Chasing Your Starspeeder All Over the Galaxy

8 12.90%
  • Large Piece of "Space Debris" Breaking Thru Your Cabin Roof

17 27.42%
  • Frank Oz Voicing Yoda

8 12.90%
  • Other

1 1.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Most Intriguing-Exciting Aspects Associated With StarTours Reboot

MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...

A brief history of the future of Star Tours 2.0 at Disneyland - Travel - LATimes.com

Secret Star Wars Production Shooting in Hollywood | /Film

'Indiana Jones' graphics meant to go unnoticed | News Blog - CNET News

The upcoming new StarTours ride has been discussed at length over the course of the past several years. Based on all of the changes that are said to take place, we seem to be looking at a complete overhaul of the current simulator ride. Although it's technology has aged, it is important to remember and take pride in the fact that StarTours is the very first theme park simulated ride experience. Without it, Spiderman would not exist at Universal ..and there would be no talk of Harry Potter or Transformers motion based simuted experiences.

In this thread, I would like to know which aspect(s) that have been projected for StarTours 2.0 intrigue you the most. Is it the digital technology (plasma and HD projection) upgrade, the film footage shot in 3-D, or perhaps Industrial Light and Magic's CGI graphics/special effects? Is it the notion of randomly changing plotlines that excites you most? If not that, the facial recognition technology (allowing audioanimatronic characters to refer to you, personally) may turn you on. Then again, there might be something else that catches or captivates your interest.

Whatever floats your boat or (in this case) propels your ship, I would like to hear about it. A poll will be up soon.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• =)

Re: Most Intrigueing-Exciting Aspects Associated With StarTours Reboot

I'm most interested in a solid, fun story - something in the spirit of the OT, even if it incorporates literal elements from the PT.

The technology used to create that isn't as important to me, but it certainly matters. The new development I'm looking forward to the most is 3D, I suppose. If handled in a non-gimmicky and realistic way, it could be very cool.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I'm most interested in a solid, fun story - something in the spirit of the OT, even if it incorporates literal elements from the PT.

The technology used to create that isn't as important to me, but it certainly matters. The new development I'm looking forward to the most is 3D, I suppose. If handled in a non-gimmicky and realistic way, it could be very cool.
    Your thoughts are right on the money with mine, Data.

3-D that complements the dramatic storyline would add to the thrill. Hopefully, Lucas/Disney will resist throwing in 3-D, CGI, and other effects in an unnecessary gimicky or overstated fashion. this ride has a very real potential to rock.

I voted for the random plot lines. It was really hard for me to decide though. I wonder if we will still have captain rex.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyguy3 View Post
    I voted for the random plot lines. It was really hard for me to decide though. I wonder if we will still have captain rex.
    Not sure if captain rex will return. Characters said to be in the reboot so far include C3PO, R2D2, Boba Fett, Admiral Ackbar, Jawas and Tuskin Raiders.

• Banned User

Random plotlines I hope = multiple destinations. This is the biggie fro me. I could care less about 3D and interaction with guests (in fact the less of these the better as they come off as gimicky).

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

I can really care less about the 3-D. Everything else I am excited for!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    Random plotlines I hope = multiple destinations. This is the biggie fro me. I could care less about 3D and interaction with guests (in fact the less of these the better as they come off as gimicky).
    According to what I've read, multiple destinations will be a component of the overall upgrade. The original StarTours and 2.0 will be as different as night and day.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    I can really care less about the 3-D. Everything else I am excited for!
    To tell you the truth, I'm pretty much infatuated with every aspect of ST 2.0. Glad you're looking forward to it as much as I am, Kritter.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

To be honest, I'm so afraid of what comes out of WDI these days that I really can't be excited about anything until I see it for my own eyes. And I adore the current Star Tours. They have an incredibly tough act to follow and based on all the rumors and leaked information.... this is just full of cameos. I'm worried that the actual journey itself won't be very good.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• we jumped out a window

Jeremy Bulloch is the nicest celebrity I've ever met and I've liked Boba Fett ever since I was a kid (though his being in Attack of the Clones severely challenged that) so that's the option I went with.

However, all of the aforementioned aspects are highly anticipated by me.

• "I Break Things"

I am curious about a variety of aspects...

I would hope for multiple plot lines, if that term is in reference to multiple movies. However I am aware that to pull this off would require an amazing attention to detail. I would love to see clean splices that transition away from the exact same intro and somehow transition back into the exact same ending. But I am a realist, doing that has the potential to be an editing nightmare. If they pull it off then congrats, but I know many AP's who will be looking for that "glitch" that tells them their destination in advance. I have almost no doubt someone will shout it out... pissing off the entire cabin!

The other issue is more of a numbers game. In order to create a long lasting re-ride effect I would venture to say something on the level of 6 to 9 movies are needed. 9 movies is a lot, but it would severely limit the chances of seeing the same movie in the same cabin. 6 movies would be my "minimum" allowing 2 in reserve at any given time. The reality is that we will likely get 2 movies, possibly 4, but I highly doubt Disney would be willing to pay for much more then that. Remember when I say "movies" the only difference would be what is in the middle, the beginning and ending of all of them would be the same sequence.

The 3D effect is intriguing because it means something needs to be floating in an air-tight cabin that presumably has gravity control. Anything less and we are either floating, or sucked out gasping for air. That is of course if WDI still remembers what the word "theme" means... If I were to hazard a guess I would say some sort of falling debris as we crash into something (similar to the current comet lighting effects). The other issue with 3D are the glasses. Current DOSH requirements require the removal of all glasses, including prescription glasses, as these can present a flying hazard inside the cabin. I remember this specifically because of a park-wide Attractions DOSH OG review because StarTours failed an inspection due to this. For the sake of argument I will also present my bias and say that I HATE 3-D glasses. Any attempt to make everyone wear them (not to mention keep them on during the ride) would be nearly impossible and utterly pointless.

From a technological standpoint, LCD, LED and PLASMA would all have some serious issues with that amount of play time as well as heat. I would suspect an HD projector as the best option. Otherwise you will see serious burn in, and burn out... At least with the projector it is merely a matter of filters and lamps.

Characters are another topic entirely. Most recent Disney ventures have been inundated with characters so we will likely be pummeled with any number of characters. My hope is that the focus is on the show, not on who's presenting it or who makes a cameo. Star Wars has a great deal of highly recognizable characters, any one of which could quickly present a distraction. I, personally, would prefer they keep Rex or at least rotate him out with other previously "unknown" droids of a similar fashion. That is one thing that is currently unique... Rex, as far as I know, doesn't have a starring role in any of the movies.

Overall I am looking for an experience. I am looking for something that honestly blows me away, not a high end version of something I can currently pop in my DVD player and watch on my own. I am asking a lot and hoping for the best...
    Last edited by techskip; 05-13-2009 at 11:39 PM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Disneyland History Lover

I'm just happy they're refreshening the attraction. I liked Star Tours when I first rode it, but nowadays it's something I can pass on without much thought. It doesn't help that I always hit my knee on the armrests when walking to my chair.

I'm not one of those that grew up with it or anything. I'm relatively new to Disneyland. My first trip was just a couple weeks shy of two years ago. I am a big Star Wars fan, so as far as I'm concerned Disneyland plus Star Wars is the equivalent to eating a delicious chocolate chip cookie in heaven. Or something like that. And after all this time, I have to imagine whatever it is Lucasfilm and Disney have up their sleeves has got to be good. I don't want to overthink it, but I'll just say I'm really looking forward to the refresh. Heck, even Frank Oz seems to be in on the new Star Tours so it seems like whatever it is that's in store it's bound to be big.

This talk has gotten me a bit excited. I'll try and board the Endor Express on my park visit tomorrow.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I am curious about a variety of aspects...

I would hope for multiple plot lines, if that term is in reference to multiple movies. However I am aware that to pull this off would require an amazing attention to detail. I would love to see clean splices that transition away from the exact same intro and somehow transition back into the exact same ending. But I am a realist, doing that has the potential to be an editing nightmare. If they pull it off then congrats, but I know many AP's who will be looking for that "glitch" that tells them their destination in advance. I have almost no doubt someone will shout it out... pissing off the entire cabin!
    Multiple plot lines mean multiple movies. I agree with you techskip that the varience would be in the middle of each movie, with the begining and closing sequences of events being the same.

A loudmouth AP would be wise not to sit next to me.

The other issue is more of a numbers game. In order to create a long lasting re-ride effect I would venture to say something on the level of 6 to 9 movies are needed. 9 movies is a lot, but it would severely limit the chances of seeing the same movie in the same cabin. 6 movies would be my "minimum" allowing 2 in reserve at any given time. The reality is that we will likely get 2 movies, possibly 4, but I highly doubt Disney would be willing to pay for much more then that. Remember when I say "movies" the only difference would be what is in the middle, the beginning and ending of all of them would be the same sequence.
    Even if each individual cabin operated with 2 to 4 films, the total varience of 9 or more films would still take place due to the fact that different cabins would house different films.

The 3D effect is intriguing because it means something needs to be floating in an air-tight cabin that presumably has gravity control. Anything less and we are either floating, or sucked out gasping for air. That is of course if WDI still remembers what the word "theme" means... If I were to hazard a guess I would say some sort of falling debris as we crash into something (similar to the current comet lighting effects). The other issue with 3D are the glasses. Current DOSH requirements require the removal of all glasses, including prescription glasses, as these can present a flying hazard inside the cabin. I remember this specifically because of a park-wide Attractions DOSH OG review because StarTours failed an inspection due to this. For the sake of argument I will also present my bias and say that I HATE 3-D glasses. Any attempt to make everyone wear them (not to mention keep them on during the ride) would be nearly impossible and utterly pointless.
    It will be interesting to see how the 3-D is worked in conjunction with a simulator ride system. There's always the possibility that each pair of glasses would be made of soft material (such as soft rubber) and mounted to an adjustable devise. Just a guess. I'm certain WDI will come up with some kind of doable innovative idea.

From a technological standpoint, LCD, LED and PLASMA would all have some serious issues with that amount of play time as well as heat. I would suspect an HD projector as the best option. Otherwise you will see serious burn in, and burn out... At least with the projector it is merely a matter of filters and lamps.
    Both plasma and HD are rumored to be put to use.

Characters are another topic entirely. Most recent Disney ventures have been inundated with characters so we will likely be pummeled with any number of characters. My hope is that the focus is on the show, not on who's presenting it or who makes a cameo. Star Wars has a great deal of highly recognizable characters, any one of which could quickly present a distraction. I, personally, would prefer they keep Rex or at least rotate him out with other previously "unknown" droids of a similar fashion. That is one thing that is currently unique... Rex, as far as I know, doesn't have a starring role in any of the movies.
    Doubt that there will be so many characters with individual lines that they would serve as a distraction. Think we can rely on the Lucas/Disney track record for that.

Overall I am looking for an experience. I am looking for something that honestly blows me away, not a high end version of something I can currently pop in my DVD player and watch on my own. I am asking a lot and hoping for the best...
    I'm extremely optomistic to this end, techskip. Very nice post. You have certainly addressed several significant issues worthy of further consideration.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-14-2009 at 08:34 AM.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    I'm just happy they're refreshening the attraction. I liked Star Tours when I first rode it, but nowadays it's something I can pass on without much thought. It doesn't help that I always hit my knee on the armrests when walking to my chair.

I'm not one of those that grew up with it or anything. I'm relatively new to Disneyland. My first trip was just a couple weeks shy of two years ago. I am a big Star Wars fan, so as far as I'm concerned Disneyland plus Star Wars is the equivalent to eating a delicious chocolate chip cookie in heaven. Or something like that. And after all this time, I have to imagine whatever it is Lucasfilm and Disney have up their sleeves has got to be good. I don't want to overthink it, but I'll just say I'm really looking forward to the refresh. Heck, even Frank Oz seems to be in on the new Star Tours so it seems like whatever it is that's in store it's bound to be big.

This talk has gotten me a bit excited. I'll try and board the Endor Express on my park visit tomorrow.
    That's the spirit! Big stars do usually mean quality production. Your well expressed optomism is contagious, Victoria.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast