• Shrink the system's number of rides

8 7.02%
  • Remove the system completely

47 41.23%
  • Unnetwork the rides in the system

7 6.14%
  • Charge for a special pass that can obtain fastpasses

6 5.26%
  • Change to an hourly system as explained in my post.

4 3.51%
  • Change it entirely to another system (please explain your idea)

4 3.51%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

Re: What would you do to improve Fastpass at The Disneyland Resort

I think it's fine the way it is, but of course to some people there's always a reason to wine about Disneyland.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Preferably, I'd be done with it altogether.

If it has to be kept, I would end making them unlimited. Set a certain number of FastPasses to each level of admission. In the past I have used the example of "1 for every $10". A day visitor would get 6 or 7 FastPasses and Premium Passholders would get something around 60-70 for the year. Of course, more could be added for a fee.
    This is something else I thought about. Universal I know charges for their equivalent of a Fastpass. I believe Magic Mountain has one as well but I am not sure. Pay for Play would likely reduce the amount of individuals using the system (I've found over the years that a crowd thins and demand wanes when they realize they have to pay for something). However it would bring two specific issues with it, both of which are being encountered by Universal now.

The first is a sense of entitlement sometimes seen in Fastpass holders now. A feeling that would only be encouraged if a dollar amount was required for the fastpass. That sense of entitlement would also carry over into those not having fastpass who in turn would feel left out due to their financial standing. In short it would be seen as "haves" and "have nots", placing the CM between them at merge would only add to the friction. The fact that Fastpass is free is used as a "disarming" tactic by current merge CM's. Universal doesn't have that option, and I have heard horror stories from some that work there in regards to this issue.

The second issue is that a service that is paid for is required to be honored. If they are late, or the attraction is down, then those who were unable to ride would complain. You could easily provide all sorts of legal language to get out of it but those who paid would expect that the service be a requirement or their money back. The complaint line would not be pretty if an attraction was down, came back up, and their fastpass was not honored. Disney is famous for it's guest service, they would likely fold and then you are back to square one; people showing up at all hours because any time after the allotted time is accepted as a courtesy.

My point in stating all of this goes back to my initial post. I don't think Fastpass works in principal, let alone in actual application. Fastpass has caused a great deal of problems and has already been removed from high capacity attractions. It is something Disney offered and IMHO would have exceptional difficulty trying to take away. It could be removed overnight, but many in the public would be upset. It has been forced upon attractions that were never designed for it, and it's very design allows people to be in two places at once.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

My only gripe with fastpass is simply the way it affects the standby line. Indy especially sticks out in my head as a prime example of how bad the queues are because of FP. Last time I was there (Spring Break) the standby line for Indy was slowly weaving around the outdoor part of the queue up until right before the entrance to the temple where a CM was metering standby and FP people in. When I finally made it in the temple, there was no line at all until the film room. I was standing in a slow line through the worst themed part of the queue and then blaze past the best part of it just because of FP. Single rider on the other hand went in through the exit and then joined the queue right before the film room. Why can't FP go that way instead and give the standby people a better queue experience?
    Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
    1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
    1990, 1992, 1993
    2006, 2007, 2009
    2010, 2011, 2014

Walt Disney World
    2000, 2001

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I think they just need to adjust the timing they use for letting in people with Fast Passes vs. people in the standby queue. If there's no one coming in the FP queue, then just keep cycling through the "standby guests". Once there are FP holders, only let a certain, limited number through, so that the overall wait is still shorter using FP, but the guests in the standby queue aren't screwed as bad as they can be now.

• "I Break Things"

Figured I would try to explain these two first...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
    My only gripe with fastpass is simply the way it affects the standby line. Indy especially sticks out in my head as a prime example of how bad the queues are because of FP. Last time I was there (Spring Break) the standby line for Indy was slowly weaving around the outdoor part of the queue up until right before the entrance to the temple where a CM was metering standby and FP people in. When I finally made it in the temple, there was no line at all until the film room. I was standing in a slow line through the worst themed part of the queue and then blaze past the best part of it just because of FP.
    Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    I think they just need to adjust the timing they use for letting in people with Fast Passes vs. people in the standby queue. If there's no one coming in the FP queue, then just keep cycling through the "standby guests". Once there are FP holders, only let a certain, limited number through, so that the overall wait is still shorter using FP, but the guests in the standby queue aren't screwed as bad as they can be now.
    Per Disney the line after merge should be between 10 and 15 minutes. If there are no individuals in the FP queue then Merge pulses the Standby to maintain that 10-15 minute internal queue. In the case of Indy the cutoff is the entrance to the Bat Cave. However a camera that displayed that area wasn't installed until a couple years ago. Prior to that the closest camera was Rotunda. A CM had to guess how many were in line between Rotunda and Temple Entrance, and then pulse accordingly.

Another issue is that everyone on the crew operates at a different speed. You have CM's who move the Station and pack the Film Room almost to bursting. You also have CM's who move at a moderate pace, and those who blatantly take their time (yes I am serious... as a Lead nothing is more annoying then a CM who consistently sandbags on purpose without reason). Depending on who is in what position the Station and Film Room could be either "backed up" or "starving". Combine the guesswork with a constantly rotating crew speed and you have the potential for lots of LA "stop and go" traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
    Single rider on the other hand went in through the exit and then joined the queue right before the film room. Why can't FP go that way instead and give the standby people a better queue experience?
    I remember when they did this. This was actually the way Indy's FP operated when they first offered FP. The Merge was at the Rotunda position (where Single Rider and GAC go now). The reason FP was moved outside was because of the fire code. The sheer number of people who would parade down the exit and then line up was blocking the exit (specifically the tunnel portion). During peak season there are times now when GAC has to be cut because the GAC line without FP blocks the exit. Imagine what it was like when it was everyone merging at that point.

This goes back to the "Fastpass was forced upon attractions not designed for it" comment. Management insisted it would work. Indy's crew spent a lot of "adjustment time" figuring out how to make it work. DOSH then threw us a curve ball and mandated viewing of the Safety Film prior to boarding. So we had to verify people watched the Film (or at least pulse the room to give them an opportunity to view it). Those GAC who would ordinarily just board at the station now had to be routed through Rotunda to watch the film AND we had to merge Fastpass into this mess. When we "thought" we had it working... the Fire Marshall dropped his shoe because the exit tunnel was constantly being clogged.

What you walk through now; Jungle Crossover, expanded Entrance Queue, Expanded Digs, half a Bridge, modified Rotunda, modified Film Room... all of this is the result of years of trial and error. It isn't even close to being perfect, but it is the best they could manage given the design of Indy's queue. Indy's original internal queue was able to hold between 40 to 45 minutes of people. It now is mandated to hold 15 minutes worth. That means we need to find room somewhere else in the external queue for an additional 25 to 30 minutes worth of people at ALL TIMES.

Given my background some may begin to understand why I am not a huge fan of Fastpass.
    Last edited by techskip; 05-17-2009 at 07:06 AM.

• Off to Neverland

I picked expansion... simply because I want one for Peter Pan. haha!

• Diva Extrodinaire

Maybe at the ticket booths you buy a Dream Fastpass kinda thing and use that? Or have central distribution area, but where? At the castle? In some ocrner of the park that no one can easily reach, like Toontown?
    ONE TWO THREE NOT ONLY YOU AND ME

• Still Dizzy

I am definitely a fan of fastpasses. I too vividly remember the horrific days standing at the top weaving part of space mountain's queue getting blasted by the sun in 90-100 degree weather coming close to passing out.

I remember not being able to really enjoy the last half of my day because by that point my feet would be KILLING me do the the shuffle/stop/shuffle of waiting in endless lines.

Now I can actually enjoy my days at the park. Go on WAY more rides than I used too since I'm not spending 5 hours of my day waiting in lines for 2-3 rides.

If Disney ever got rid of the fastpass system, I couldn't even say how long it would be before I went again, I sure as heck wouldn't be an AP holder. With no real off-season anymore, any day would have the possibility of being an exercise in frustration and tiredness.

• It's all about Theme!

I really do like the system. It works perfectly for me when I use it, even on crowded days.

I don't understand the negativity about it.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• "I Break Things"

I often hear people complain that the park seems too crowded and the lines seem too long. It's amusing to me when these same individuals, some of which are my friends, get a Fastpass for the location, then go stand in line at another attraction. It never seems to occur to them that the very reason appear longer now is because MANY people are getting a Fastpass for one attraction and then standing in line at another. It lets you stand in line for two places at once. IMHO it's the fatal flaw in the system. If one individual exploited it the lines wouldn't appear so bad. But since everyone is exploiting it (again not coming down on anyone, it's available so by all means use it) the standby lines are full of people holding Fastpasses for somewhere else. Personally I find it hysterical when my friends complain about a long line, while holding a Fastpass to somewhere else in their hands... good luck convincing them they are part of the problem!

There have been days when the Fastpass system was down the entire day... amazingly the lines were minimal compared to when Fastpass was operating... in one case this was a Summer day!

In regards to the "sold out" or "it's 1pm and Indy's Fastpass is saying come back between 11 and midnight" problem... it happens. I equate it to concert tickets. Technically the tickets can be on sale until the actual time of the performance (hypothetical here I realize some ticket offices are not open at that hour). But most popular concerts sell out within minutes of being on sale. On a busy summer day I've seen Fastpasses for Indy, Splash and Space "sell out" by noon. I really can't see an easy solution to this other then charging for them (which would drop demand but have likely have the issues I stated earlier).

My advice on busy days has always been to get a Fastpass for those 1 or 2 attractions that are a "must do" on your trip. Then enjoy your day.
    Last edited by techskip; 05-17-2009 at 01:27 PM.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    ... good luck convincing them they are part of the problem!

Denial sounds like such a nice thing! I must try it sometime!

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post
    Your thoughts?
    I think the fatal flaw in your idea is knowing when additional tickets would be available. I can imagine that if you start doling out more Fastpasses every hour on the hour, I'd imagine big crowds would start to develop around the Fastpass areas, block traffic and cause congestion and eventually they would be forced to rope off and create longer queues ... just to get a Fastpass!

• when you wish...

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    There have been days when the Fastpass system was down the entire day... amazingly the lines were minimal compared to when Fastpass was operating... in one case this was a Summer day!
    Although I do take advantage of Fastpass, I think it should be done away with, case in point, by what techskip stated. I was at the park in August of 2005, during the absolute peak of the 50th, and Fastpass broke down throughout the whole park. Of course, it was blazing hot. Typically, there would have been a 90 minute stand-by line for Splash Mountain on a hot summer day, and we waited 35 minutes!!! The same applied to all of the other lines.

Fastpass has been around for so long now, so seeing it gone like that one day made me see how much better life at Disneyland is without it.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here." --Art Linkletter, July 17, 2005

• Keepin' it calsteady

I love Fastpass as it is. It makes my trips to Disneyland much, much more enjoyable. I would go less often if it weren't there.

Just to get the controversy really going, I'll say this: You can take away Fastpasses when you get rid of cheap Annual Passes.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by disneymademoiselle View Post
    Although I do take advantage of Fastpass, I think it should be done away with, case in point, by what techskip stated. I was at the park in August of 2005, during the absolute peak of the 50th, and Fastpass broke down throughout the whole park. Of course, it was blazing hot. Typically, there would have been a 90 minute stand-by line for Splash Mountain on a hot summer day, and we waited 35 minutes!!! The same applied to all of the other lines.

Fastpass has been around for so long now, so seeing it gone like that one day made me see how much better life at Disneyland is without it.
    To further prove an interesting point... I was working that day. City Hall was swamped throughout the day with complaints that Fastpass wasn't working. Ironic when you consider the lines were actually longer when Fastpass was up (Fastpass was working until around 1030 ish when the server crashed). Those mandatory "bubbles" I was talking about that maintain the 10 to 15 minute internal queue actually make a major difference both in appearance and in actual wait time. Just something to think about.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast