• Shrink the system's number of rides

8 7.02%
  • Remove the system completely

47 41.23%
  • Unnetwork the rides in the system

7 6.14%
  • Charge for a special pass that can obtain fastpasses

6 5.26%
  • Change to an hourly system as explained in my post.

4 3.51%
  • Change it entirely to another system (please explain your idea)

4 3.51%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Post What would you do to improve Fastpass at The Disneyland Resort

If you were to change the Fastpass system at Disneyland, how would you do it. Many people have pointed out valid methods to change it, while others say scrap it.

Personally, I would change it so it only gave out a limited amount every hour and then after that, you would have to wait until the next hour to receive one. So like at 10am, 100 fastpass tickets become available and if they are all gone by 10:30, your ticket says to try back at 11am when more tickets will be available. Once you get a ticket, it would give you a window in the next hour to come back in like the current system currently does. This keeps it more exclusive and special, while not making the stand by lineup go slower.

Your thoughts?

• no flash photography...

Re: What would you do to improve Fastpass at The Disneyland Resort

I would like an central area for fast pass distribution...or maybe several, but I'm sure the lines would be crazy....

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post
    If you were to change the Fastpass system at Disneyland, how would you do it. Many people have pointed out valid methods to change it, while others say scrap it.

Personally, I would change it so it only gave out a limited amount every hour and then after that, you would have to wait until the next hour to receive one. So like at 10am, 100 fastpass tickets become available and if they are all gone by 10:30, your ticket says to try back at 11am when more tickets will be available. Once you get a ticket, it would give you a window in the next hour to come back in like the current system currently does. This keeps it more exclusive and special, while not making the stand by lineup go slower.

Your thoughts?
    I think the system already does that to some extent. The computer system figures out how many fast passes can be made available at any given time, using mathematical algorithms based on current park attendance and other factors, and will only allow a certain number to be "spit out" for the attraction during a specific time frame, in order to keep only a certain number in use at any given time so as to not overload the fastpass lines all at once.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    I think the system already does that to some extent. The computer system figures out how many fast passes can be made available at any given time, using mathematical algorithms based on current park attendance and other factors, and will only allow a certain number to be "spit out" for the attraction during a specific time frame, in order to keep only a certain number in use at any given time so as to not overload the fastpass lines all at once.
    Your right, and then it begins to offer them for later and later in the day. My change would allow people showing up at the ride later in the day to still have a chance at get a fastpass. Furthermore, they would get a fastpass that isn't stamped for 6 hours from the time it was aquired.

• My boss is a Mouse.

I don't really care for the fast pass system. I think it makes the standby people wait longer. I do use it once in awhile, but I wouldn't care if they took it out completely.
    When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do.
    ~Walt Disney~

• radiantly eccentric

Bring back the old ticket system in the form of a FP( somehow) What do you think?
    For instance, if you have kids use A,B,C, tickets to reduce wait times for a fantasyland only experience. If you are older, for the "D"E" ticket rides only.
    without Love in a dream, it will never come true...

• "I Break Things"

I am really anti-fastpass. It technically allows people to be in two places at once. It also requires the respective attractions to maintain a 10 to 15 minute queue after the fastpass merge. So attractions have "extra" people and can't use queue space previously designed to hold additional guests. However for the sake of argument I will bite.

If the fastpasses are handed out on an hourly basis as the OP suggested this would cause a "surge" of people at those times. It would be the equivalent of people crowding around for raffle tickets to a drawing or contest. I personally don't think the "top of the hour" distribution system will work.

Additionally having a centralized Fastpass system would only work if they were able to post current wait times alongside current return times for each attraction serviced by the central distribution location. I would imagine something similar to an information booth which can be approached on multiple sides, potentially using touch screen technology. Considering the "menu test" at Taste Pilot and the average comprehension of most Guests this type of deployment would have a 50/50 chance at best. I can already hear the complaints of those who requested a Fastpass for the wrong attraction by mistake. Having the Fastpass next to the attraction ensures that you know which attraction you are getting your fastpass for.

Another issue is that current wait times are highly inaccurate. I would recommend that they find a way to improve wait times before tackling Fastpass. Fastpass is in part based on wait times, so improving one would improve both.

My honest assessment, for what it's worth, is that Fastpass doesn't work. It uses a formula of current car count and wait time to project how many tickets to distribute per hour. There are ways to manipulate this final number but the point is it Fastpass is trying to predict the future. It is incapable of predicting downtimes or reduced capacity. As cruel as it sounds, a great improvement from an operational standpoint would be to deny Fastpasses that have expired, regardless of downtime. However I know this would make the general public angry, and Disney is not in the business of saying "sorry No". Disney is in the business of making good memories, denying expired Fastpasses would go against that business model.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Sock Puppet

It sounds to me like most of the suggestions so far are ways to make getting the FP's more convenient for the guests versus improving the FP system itself.

As it is now, on busy days the FP system pretty much "sells out" for the most popular rides by noon. If more people were to use it, it would probably be sold out by 10am!

I'm for just doing away with it altogether. First come, first served.

But hey, that's just me...

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    If the fastpasses are handed out on an hourly basis as the OP suggested this would cause a "surge" of people at those times. It would be the equivalent of people crowding around for raffle tickets to a drawing or contest. I personally don't think the "top of the hour" distribution system will work.

My honest assessment, for what it's worth, is that Fastpass doesn't work. It uses a formula of current car count and wait time to project how many tickets to distribute per hour. There are ways to manipulate this final number but the point is it Fastpass is trying to predict the future. It is incapable of predicting downtimes or reduced capacity. As cruel as it sounds, a great improvement from an operational standpoint would be to deny Fastpasses that have expired, regardless of downtime. However I know this would make the general public angry, and Disney is not in the business of saying "sorry No". Disney is in the business of making good memories, denying expired Fastpasses would go against that business model.
    I wonder if there may be ways around the rush such as making it every half an hour, or not having it right on the hour. Sure people like those who read this forum would know, but the rest would be up for grabs for the general public. Furthermore, this gives the formula less time to have to worry about when predicting the future, which you listed as a big problem.

I guess another idea would be to give out something like twenty fastpasses then have a sign say that more fastpasses will not be available for ten minutes. That way, people won't rush to the rides at certain times, but the window for returning won't be hours from the time you recieve the ticket, and the fastpass line would not double the standby waiting time.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMickey View Post
    It sounds to me like most of the suggestions so far are ways to make getting the FP's more convenient for the guests versus improving the FP system itself.

As it is now, on busy days the FP system pretty much "sells out" for the most popular rides by noon. If more people were to use it, it would probably be sold out by 10am!

I'm for just doing away with it altogether. First come, first served.

But hey, that's just me...
    I wouldn't say that my idea would do this. While it would be good for the guests arriving later in the day, morning guests wouldn't benifit from the change. I tried to concive my idea as a balance.

• U. B. Bold

I voted "change it entirely". The old A-E ticket book system worked far better for controlling crowds/wait times on attractions. It was fair, easy to understand and did not require that you plan your day like a military campaign, rushing from land to land to get a Fast Pass for this or that attraction. It was also a pay to play system that accurately distributed funds to the attractions that were most popular. Will they bring it back? Probably never.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

The old system wouldn't work in my opinion. People would ride less rides and stay for less time. Also, Disney would have to deal with additional costs such as having to print the thousands of tickets, pay ticket sellers and collecters, create new sinage for every ride, and establish booths to distrubute the cupons. They would have to lower the entrance fee which is seen as better because it is assured money to the company, and a shorter stay means less giftshop/restaurant visits.

• Addicted to MC since '08

I love the fastpass system. I get the most out of it and it makes my visit much more convenient. This is how my morning would work: I would get fastpasses for Space Mountain, ride it using the stand-by queue, go over to the Matterhorn and then re-ride Space Mountain via fastpass. By the middle of the day I will have about 2-3 rides worth of fastpasses and will keep getting more as I "spend" them. The best thing to remember is that you can use them all day after your time rolls around.

I don't think it makes that much of an impact on the stand-by queue lines. Practically every time I go through a fastpass line, the merging point has practically nobody in the fastpass line. Space Mountain, BTM, Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain are all good examples of this.

I think the system is quite useful if you can use it to its maximum potential.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I am really anti-fastpass.<snip>
    I couldn't agree more with this post. Fastpass has changed the fundamental nature of the Disneyland experience -- vastly for the worse -- by taking huge numbers of guests out of queues and dumping them into walkways. Bad net tradeoff for the guest.

Good net tradeoff for Disney's bottom line, though, as mall-retailer extraordinare Paul Pressler foresaw. The park makes no money when guests are jammed in ride queues. Fastpass puts them where Disney wants them: jammed in walkways, within eyeshot of money-making merch and food outlets.

To me Fastpass is a scam. A moneymaker for Disney masquerading as a timesaver for the guests. The Fast Food Drive-thru philosophy of a retailer injected like growth steroids into the Magic Kingdom.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 05-16-2009 at 03:03 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Preferably, I'd be done with it altogether.

If it has to be kept, I would end making them unlimited. Set a certain number of FastPasses to each level of admission. In the past I have used the example of "1 for every $10". A day visitor would get 6 or 7 FastPasses and Premium Passholders would get something around 60-70 for the year. Of course, more could be added for a fee.

• "I Break Things"

Sorry to quote everyone under the sun...
    Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder View Post
    I voted "change it entirely". The old A-E ticket book system worked far better...

...It was also a pay to play system that accurately distributed funds to the attractions that were most popular. Will they bring it back? Probably never.
    Sorry to cut the quote, but this is specifically what I needed. The old A-E did it's job for many years, but likely would not work now for a variety of reasons (some cited in another thread). The main issue is actually the distribution of funds. This could be seen as either "good" or "bad" but the reality is that many older attractions would likely shut their doors with new "popular" attractions taking their place. If I were a betting man I would say "popular" would be interchangeable with character/franchise driven. While it seems to be a current trend now, the A-E Ticket system IMHO would speed up this process.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPro View Post
    I love the fastpass system. I get the most out of it and it makes my visit much more convenient. This is how my morning would work: I would get fastpasses for Space Mountain, ride it using the stand-by queue, go over to the Matterhorn and then re-ride Space Mountain via fastpass. By the middle of the day I will have about 2-3 rides worth of fastpasses and will keep getting more as I "spend" them. The best thing to remember is that you can use them all day after your time rolls around.
    Not to single you out specifically (many individuals do this... not just you) but this is the exact behavior I was describing when I said the system doesn't work. This is the "two places at once" example... because you have a Fastpass and are also standing in a queue, thereby standing in two lines at once.

I don't think it makes that much of an impact on the stand-by queue lines. Practically every time I go through a fastpass line, the merging point has practically nobody in the fastpass line. Space Mountain, BTM, Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain are all good examples of this.
    This really depends on a number of factors including the time of day, which day in the week, and on/off season. Please remember that anyone can hold multiple fastpasses and many people do. Those people standing in front or behind you are taking a place in one line and could be holding a place in another line as well. Because the lines after merge are required to be 10-15 minutes fastpass could theoretically be considered a permenant place holder in line (as in always holding a place for someone at any given point).

I think the system is quite useful if you can use it to its maximum potential.
    I am not faulting you for using it to it's maximum potential, but that type of use is exactly why I do not believe the overall system works. Again I am not attempting to single you out specifically, many many many people do this... and there are websites dedicated to encouraging this behavior to get the most out of a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    I couldn't agree more with this post. Fastpass has changed the fundamental nature of the Disneyland experience -- vastly for the worse -- by taking huge numbers of guests out of queues and dumping them into walkways.
    The initial stated purpose of Fastpass was to allow Guests to shop and dine instead of spending time standing in a queue. This was on an actual internal Disney memo.

The reality is that most individuals run to a Fastpass, and then continue to stand in other queues until said Fastpass has reached it's avaiable time slot. At which point they usually get a Fastpass for another location, use the Fastpass for the previous location, and then repeat the process of waiting in standby lines.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast