Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• "I Break Things"

Re: Vintage photography in Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    I see people wearing mo-cap tracker dots over their street clothes, not a costume. You'd be placed in the pose (rods would help you hold it) in a booth-size version of a mo-cap space and scanned against green screen. The costume and lighting would be digital.

Personally, my instinct is that putting on costumes and standing in front of backgrounds wouldn't have much of a draw with the public. I'm seeing more of a virtual reality time machine -- something that not only looks like you were there, but feels like you were there.

I think the success and longevity of the thing would depend heavily on the story sensibility of the people who select the historical location photographs -- the combined spirit of fun, history and reality -- the sense of "plausible impossibility." It would have to appear not only as if it looks like you were really there, but that it makes sense you could have been there.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Actually with todays advancements in digital technology, I can see something like this working better than the standard dress "up in costume" photo op, as much fun as that is to do and as nice as the output is. You wouldn't have to worry about room to keep multiple costumes, or worry about sizes because everything is simply pixels.

You would have so many more options and opportunities doing something purely digital. You wouldn't be limited to one time frame, one theme or backdrop.

And it would be so much faster than having say a family of 4 or 5 get dressed in actual costumes and pose... all you need do is pick out what you want each member to wear, where you want it to take place... pose and *click*... picture taken next family please....

There could be one or two CM's doing the picture taking, and a small highly trained crew doing the digital work. Take the pic in the morning, come by on your way out and pick up the finished product on your way out.

Some bugs would certainly have to be worked out, and it would be a pricey souvenir, (intensive labor for the digital CM's to put out the finished product) but I could see it being a very popular option.
    As much fun as the new technology would be, it would be a complete break in theme from the time periods of Main Street or Frontierland (others as well). It would however fit in perfect with Tomorrowland! I realize the costumes and studio back drops would take up space, but they would provide theme rather then remove it. In the case of Tomorrowland the new technology would be a major addition to the theme.

Quote Originally Posted by GoofyWife View Post
    It was on Main St., across from the arcade. On my last day of work in 1984, all of my Main St Foods friends (and Rod, the piano player) went over and had our picture taken on the back of the train. We didn't dress up, just stayed in our costumes. If I ever stumble across it, I'll post it. It was an 8x10 color picture.

There also used to be a western dress up photo studio across from Big Thunder Ranch on the walkway between FL and BTRR. My hubby used to work it in the early 80's.
    Thank you very much for helping to clear up one mystery. Now for the second part of the qustion... was it popular?

As much as I embrace things from our past I am hesitant to suggest to bring them back unless there is a viable reason and market for them. In the case of vintage photography, it seems popular enough to justify it's continued operation at Knotts. It is a unique souvenir, and as I have said before families tend to make that picture a tradition. In some respects it is akin to the tradition of the whole family in one log on Splash (which may or may not be possible with the new seat configuration).
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    As much fun as the new technology would be, it would be a complete break in theme from the time periods of Main Street or Frontierland (others as well). It would however fit in perfect with Tomorrowland! I realize the costumes and studio back drops would take up space, but they would provide theme rather then remove it. In the case of Tomorrowland the new technology would be a major addition to the theme.
    Good point.

I'd suggest putting it in Innoventions, but then I'd have to go hit myself in the head with a 2x4.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymom View Post
    I know they used to have something in the 80's. My boss and his family had a photo done wearing vintage clothes and it looked like they were standing at the back end of a railroad car. I don't know where in Disneyland it was taken, but it said something like Disneyland RR on the back. It looked pretty cool.

• Senior Minion

^ Bingo!

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

We did a vintage photo with our grandson, and some friends of his, when we were vacationing in Wisconsin Dells. The entire process took a while. However, the finished product was a fun souvenir that now hangs above my husband's desk at home.

May 11 - 16, 2015

• "I Break Things"

And Steve comes through with the winner. I probably should have just eailed you when someone said "back of a train"... . Thank You.

So back to the other question... was it popular? Logic would dictate that at some point people weren't showing up so they put something else in it's place. BUT I know Disney and sometimes they make an excuse to close something...

Another question on that. Was the "Back of the Lilly Belle" the only set or were there other options? Same question applies to the one in Frontierland. As an example, Knott's has a saloon, a period entry way, and a bucking bronco to chose from. I am curious what the options were if alternate sets were avilable if anyone remembers.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    We did a vintage photo with our grandson, and some friends of his, when we were vacationing in Wisconsin Dells. The entire process took a while. However, the finished product was a fun souvenir that now hangs above my husband's desk at home.
    There is one my wife and I did at Knott's when we were dating. Another one when we had my son and daughter. We keep wanting to make it back to do one with the 4 of them. It is a tradition that stretches back at least to when I was little... my Mom has one of me as a baby in one of those photos!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12