Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Vroom, vroom!

Wink Jungle Cruise Boat Model Project

O.K. I have read a really long tread on the jungle cruise and I got hit with insparation...
    I want to build a replica of one of the boats from the jungle cruise.
    No not full size im not rich but a small model that is radio controll or just really nice to look at.
    I need some one to send me pictures of any or all disneyland Jungle Cruise boats from all angles possible.
    and if possible blue prints or building plans for the real boats. If you can supply enough infromation I can take it down to my local hobby shop to find out what I need and what to do.
    If all else fails I will go redneck on it and make it out of cardboard and fiberglass but I really dont want to take that route. so help me out with all the info you guys can.
    P.S. If anyone out there has ever tackeled a project like this can you give me tips and tell me what to use and what would be best to buy Pleese!
    I am Scary Scott,
    Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
    I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
    Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
    Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
    Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
    Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

• Done with MC.

Re: Jungle Cruise Boat Model Project

Sounds to me like your gonna need to make a trip to DLR for research!!

• "I Break Things"

Ask Natulius he designed one a while back. Also there are blueprints in the Jungle queue, and radio controlled boats at the Disneyland Hotel. Good Luck

Disney also released a miniture replica of the Congo Queen some time back, pictures of that would also help.

I don't have anything on me but I will look into it. There should be some material on here if you do a search.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

I only have a couple pictures of the boats themselves...but if they'll help, have at 'em

(larger sizes are available on the linked Flickr pages)

• Collision speed....FULL!

I did make one a while back, as techskip mentioned. It's not the most accurate model I've done, being that I did it when I was 15 and off my own drawings. It would be neat to do one again, but better, though my massive 20K project and Nature's Wonderland are soaking up my time for small side projects.

• "I Break Things"

these are boat concepts that are currently framed and hang on the wall in the Jungle Queue
    images from Davelandweb.com

http://www.davelandweb.com/junglecru...0/DSC_8983.jpg

http://www.davelandweb.com/junglecru...0/DSC_8983.jpg

Here is the ad for the Congo model they sold a while back (not sure where it came from but it was on my pc).

Again this model was for sale by Disney, it was not something I built. The few models I ever attempted resemble Kindergarten arts & crafts!

This was in the old Survival Guide (also the new one), slightly modified so you can read the text.

Keep in mind there are differences between the old boats and the new ones. For one thing the new ones are about 8ft longer. Also there is no longer a seat for the Skip. For that matter there are no seat cushions anymore. The canopy and paint scheme is different. The boat rail frame is slightly different. Also the old signs were plain lettering, some of the new ones have unique artwork. Davelandweb is a good resource. He sells those pictures, but he also has a variety you can look at. His blog has additional links as well. Hope it helps... good luck
    Last edited by techskip; 05-17-2009 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeliriumTrigger View Post
    Admit it, you only got this shot because of the cute skipper!

• =)

Dang, she is cute.

• Vroom, vroom!

Thank you all.
    I have put good use to the photos and found a photo of the blueprints among other photos to show my local hobby shop owner. He found a modle ship about 2 ft long that has the same hull desighn as the jungle boats.
    The problem is its all wood and after the hull the rest is up to me. so any building material tips would be awesome.
    I am Scary Scott,
    Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
    I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
    Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
    Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
    Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Scary Scott View Post
    Thank you all.
    I have put good use to the photos and found a photo of the blueprints among other photos to show my local hobby shop owner. He found a modle ship about 2 ft long that has the same hull design as the jungle boats.
    The problem is its all wood and after the hull the rest is up to me. so any building material tips would be awesome.
    Natulis would be an excellent resource in regards to building models. He's one of the resident model builders here on Micechat. There are others as well, but he tends to post the most about it. As I said my attempts at building models would horrify even a kindergarten teacher so I'm afraid in that department I'm basically just a cheerleader! Good Luck though. If you need any specific details about the boats let me know. I can help in that area.

Oh... and please post some pictures of everything when you're done!

• Vroom, vroom!

well TechSkip...
    I got to tell you I loved reading your forum thread about WFJC and it is part of the insparation to my model and Is a tribute to the skippers more than any thing else I will tell you the long term plan...
    The boat style I want to do are the newer boats but I want to use a name of a boat thats very special. I dont want to do the congo I want to make the one that skippers remember the most. I am having a toss up between Using one thats gone or the Hondo Or the Zambizi or Irwardi unless there is one that someone else would like better. If I do good I will Offer to build more and sell them to Skippers or wana be skippers like me so they can have there favorite boat and a small crew inside all dressed in the Kacki JC uniforms and the skippper looks like the person who orderd the boat.
    But thats a long way from now so I will make do with getting one going first.
    So for TeckSkip What boat should I build as my first one?
    and does any parts of the boat look like wood? And who should go in the boat?
    The setup I will be purchesing has the same Hull and moter style as the real JC boats but the moters have to be moved seats made front end made up to have wheel and lamp and microphone. I want the lights to light up like the real thing and the PA to work on a little pre recorded soud bite of famous quotes and the pose of the skipper holding the fake holding the wheel and holding the gun I might be pushing my modeling skills a bit but thats the point I am good at plastic model kits but I am all new at realistic with wood kits.
    But for now you could tell me how the canvas is attached and what its made of.
    and what name you would like me to put on the boat.
    I am Scary Scott,

• "I Break Things"

You're going to need a lot more pictures. It also sounds pretty expensive and time consuming. You may wish to target Jungle enthusists and former Skips, as current ones are generally strapped for cash. As to a boat name... I would have to say Mekong Maiden... which is the only boat actually destroyed. Little known fact, Maggie is up in Glendale (or at least was up until I left company). Congo Queen would be another option. It was chosen as the 50th boat, and it is in reference to Jungle's inspiration (African Queen).

If you plan on making multiple models then it may be wise to make the signs interchangeable and design them separately. There are fairly detailed shots on Davelandweb of the various signs. Also remember that Disneyland's name scheme has less names then the other locations (HKDL, WDW, and Tokyo). I believe all the other locations also use the WDW version of names.

To answer your technical questions; the seat tops are made to look like wood. The canvas is sewn down the middle but not physically attached on the outside. The pictures on here (model and actual photo) provide an example of both an open and covered vairant of the boat. When the canvas is pulled out to cover the boat it is secured by the knobs on the poles. Not exactly high tech, canvas has a hole that goes over the knob and there you have it. I just had a quick memory of pulling out my knife to cut hold in a new canvas that didn't have them! One of my Managers walked up at the wrong time and it took some explaining to convince them I wasn't a vandal.

• Collision speed....FULL!

Just for kicks, here's a model Jungle Cruise boat, one manufactured by Atwood. It's 'Live Steam' which means it's actually boiler water, creating steam, driving pistons and turing the propeller. Model trains use this a lot in G scale, boats like these are pretty rare.

In case you're wondering, a couple tips on what I did on my boat:

•The hull--inside seats and all and the outside-- is carved out of one piece of Urethane foam (craft stores sell something called balsa foam, which is pretty similar).
    •The bottom of the hull was vacuum-formed in plastic so it could be water-proof (it's probably better to give a coat in resin, which will go on smoother; the plastic that was used in the vacuum-form process wrinkled, because it was one of those cheap sign that had vinyl on it.)
    • The pole were a combination of bamboo skewers (budgets were small in those days) and 1/8" armature wire.
    • The engine is made from pieces of wooden dowel and strip/sheet styrene.
    • The the canvas is just a piece of an old T-shirt painted brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Admit it, you only got this shot because of the cute skipper!
    Hey, I'm only human

• "I Break Things"

I would recommend asking some of the Micechatters if they can take snapshots of the radio controlled Jungle Cruise boats over at the Disneyland Hotel. You may also want to drop a letter to City Hall asking if they have any specs on the boats, informing them that you would like to try and build a model. They may or may not be able to help but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Nautilus thank you for another image that I will be adding to my collection... where did you find that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast