Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,336

    Handy iPhone/iPod Touch App Containing DL Park Info Now Available

    Disneyland

    An iPhone/iPod Touch compatable App is now available in the marketplace ..TimeStream Software's Disneyland Park Guide. It's features include 120 pages of detailed information on Disneyland rides, indoor and outdoor shows, parades, fireworks, restaurants, tickets, park hours, park tips, hotels, etc.

    It would be my guess that the same type of helpful DCA information should become included in the new tool's software once Phase One of the makeover is complete.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  2. #2

    • "I Break Things"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,329

    Re: Handy iPhone/iPod Touch App Containing DL Park Info Now Available

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Disneyland

    An iPhone/iPod Touch compatable App is now available in the marketplace ..TimeStream Software's Disneyland Park Guide. It's features include 120 pages of detailed information on Disneyland rides, indoor and outdoor shows, parades, fireworks, restaurants, tickets, park hours, park tips, hotels, etc.

    It would be my guess that the same type of helpful DCA information should become included in the new tool's software once Phase One of the makeover is complete.
    Here is my thought in regards to this, some of it likely already included...

    Wait Times- Disney needs to implement a much more accurate way to gauge wait times. If it wasn't so expensive I would say radio id. Point is, get it accurate, then get it on the iphones. That right there will be a tremendous time saver

    Downtimes- Ride goes down, let the iphone know. Again this is a major time saver. Ride officially comes back up, tell me. This saves a constant walk back and forth hoping that my ride is finally up.

    Fastpass- Easy enough to do now, stream the current windows at the respective locations. DO NOT allow for any way to get one over the iphone (which is possible since it goes off your ticket barcode... please no). This will save people a walk over to x location just to see what the Fastpass times are. Once again, not a supporter of Fastpass but if it's there might as well use it.

    Dining- Allow for descriptions, reservations, and a green to red indicator to gauge how many tables are currently being utilized. This would avoid the "it's too crowded let's do it later" after someone walked over there already.

    Shows- Again easy enough to do, post show times. Also allow for additional postings (ie extra Fantasmic added at the last minute) and notifications if a show is canceled.

    Tickets- Somewhat pointless if you are already inside, but allow for purchase. Also allow for tour information and ticket purchase/reservation

    Again some of it will likely be in there, others not so much... but that is what I would hope for in an app.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"


    "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"


  3. #3

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,336

    Re: Handy iPhone/iPod Touch App Containing DL Park Info Now Available

    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Here is my thought in regards to this, some of it likely already included...

    Wait Times- Disney needs to implement a much more accurate way to gauge wait times. If it wasn't so expensive I would say radio id. Point is, get it accurate, then get it on the iphones. That right there will be a tremendous time saver.
    As to wait times, Disneyland would need to keep the app updated on a daily if not hourly basis ..perhaps some sort of triggering mechanism that would automatically notify the app whenever new wait times are posted. Wide ranging non-current, inaccurate information would cause guests to ignore the wait time info on the device.

    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Downtimes- Ride goes down, let the iphone know. Again this is a major time saver. Ride officially comes back up, tell me. This saves a constant walk back and forth hoping that my ride is finally up.
    Great idea! Reported downtime and "back in operation" notification would allow for one to plan their day in a far more productive manner.

    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Fastpass- Easy enough to do now, stream the current windows at the respective locations. DO NOT allow for any way to get one over the iphone (which is possible since it goes off your ticket barcode... please no). This will save people a walk over to x location just to see what the Fastpass times are. Once again, not a supporter of Fastpass but if it's there might as well use it.
    I agree. Post the Fastpass times on the iPhones/iPods ..but definitely do not allow people to use their devices to access FastPasses. Too much potential for abuse.

    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Dining- Allow for descriptions, reservations, and a green to red indicator to gauge how many tables are currently being utilized. This would avoid the "it's too crowded let's do it later" after someone walked over there already.
    Dining is yet another area that would lend itself to more time-saving convenience. The itemized menues and prices could also be posted.

    As for reservations, I would prefer not to make mechanized reservations in the absence of consulting a real on-sight person at the full service dining establishment of interest. Therefore, I would prefer to have each restaurant's phone number so that I could consult a manager when making a reservation - which can envolve a good number of variables.

    Computerized reservations would lead to a jammed system due to people that make reservations and do not show up. Plus, an impersonal system would prevent guests from working out seating arrangements, and from finding out other info that can only be handled live.

    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Shows- Again easy enough to do, post show times. Also allow for additional postings (ie extra Fantasmic added at the last minute) and notifications if a show is canceled.
    The posting of show times is one of the best advertised features. Info on cancelled shows would be extremely helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Tickets- Somewhat pointless if you are already inside, but allow for purchase. Also allow for tour information and ticket purchase/reservation

    Again some of it will likely be in there, others not so much... but that is what I would hope for in an app.
    The ability to utilize the app to purchase tickets in advance would be flatout awesome!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  4. #4

    • "I Break Things"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,329

    Re: Handy iPhone/iPod Touch App Containing DL Park Info Now Available

    In regards to updating. There are aps now that are able to provide updated information if the individual selects it. It also depends on the interface the app chooses to utilize. In short... it can be done... depends on if Disney would like to do it.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"


    "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"


  5. #5

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,336

    Re: Handy iPhone/iPod Touch App Containing DL Park Info Now Available

    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    In regards to updating. There are aps now that are able to provide updated information if the individual selects it. It also depends on the interface the app chooses to utilize. In short... it can be done... depends on if Disney would like to do it.
    Let's hope Disney is motivated ..cause I would definitely like to have continual access to updated information on DCA once the new rides and shows open. Look foward to World of Color opens, whatever show might take place in the Carthay Circle Theater, Little Mermaid and Carsland.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  6. #6

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    131

    Re: Handy iPhone/iPod Touch App Containing DL Park Info Now Available

    I keep waiting for a Disneyland related App to come out for the iPhone that is actually worth downloading. I think the single most important feature I would use/want is accurate wait times. How many times have you walked across the park to find out that the ride is 60+ minutes?

    And definitely adding what rides are down would be fabulous!! One day we went over to DCA, just to ride Screamin', to find out that it was broken.

  7. #7

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,336

    Re: Handy iPhone/iPod Touch App Containing DL Park Info Now Available

    Quote Originally Posted by krpink View Post
    I keep waiting for a Disneyland related App to come out for the iPhone that is actually worth downloading. I think the single most important feature I would use/want is accurate wait times. How many times have you walked across the park to find out that the ride is 60+ minutes?
    It's frustrating.

    Quote Originally Posted by krpink View Post
    And definitely adding what rides are down would be fabulous!! One day we went over to DCA, just to ride Screamin', to find out that it was broken.
    Wow! Your talking about a good 45min to an hour's waste of time.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-19-2009 at 08:37 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  8. #8

    • Mortals pay a token fee.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Disneyland, CA
    Posts
    697

    Re: Handy iPhone/iPod Touch App Containing DL Park Info Now Available

    Don't know about you guys, but I would MUCH rather have an iPhone app for MiceChat. I already spend nearly enough time on it (this site) while sitting at home with my computer, and I can just imagine how much more I would be on this site if there was an app for it. It could be very basic I'm sure with blog/forum views and the ability to make posts. I mean, I already do this on my iPhone while I'm at the park sometimes, but the load time for this site on the phone is ridiculously long, and it would be fun/easy to have an app for it.

  9. #9

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,336

    Re: Handy iPhone/iPod Touch App Containing DL Park Info Now Available

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimGrinner View Post
    Don't know about you guys, but I would MUCH rather have an iPhone app for MiceChat. I already spend nearly enough time on it (this site) while sitting at home with my computer, and I can just imagine how much more I would be on this site if there was an app for it. It could be very basic I'm sure with blog/forum views and the ability to make posts. I mean, I already do this on my iPhone while I'm at the park sometimes, but the load time for this site on the phone is ridiculously long, and it would be fun/easy to have an app for it.
    Well there's a novel new kiccker of an idea. MiceChat would then bear the destinction of being the first major entertainment focused blog site to use app. Pretty darned good notion, GrimGrinner.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  10. #10

    • Junior Member
    • Online

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,734

    Re: Handy iPhone/iPod Touch App Containing DL Park Info Now Available

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimGrinner View Post
    Don't know about you guys, but I would MUCH rather have an iPhone app for MiceChat. I already spend nearly enough time on it (this site) while sitting at home with my computer, and I can just imagine how much more I would be on this site if there was an app for it. It could be very basic I'm sure with blog/forum views and the ability to make posts. I mean, I already do this on my iPhone while I'm at the park sometimes, but the load time for this site on the phone is ridiculously long, and it would be fun/easy to have an app for it.
    Would you be willing to pay for the app? Because, while it might drive more users to the site, it would also cut down on ad revenue if you don't have to visit the site.

  11. #11

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,336

    Re: Handy iPhone/iPod Touch App Containing DL Park Info Now Available

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Would you be willing to pay for the app? Because, while it might drive more users to the site, it would also cut down on ad revenue if you don't have to visit the site.
    Good point, Mojave. Suppose there's always the possibility of integrating audio commercials (like the ones on radio) for app users to listen to prior to tapping each section of park information.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  12. #12

    • Find me?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    25

    Re: Handy iPhone/iPod Touch App Containing DL Park Info Now Available

    I kind of doubt Disney would provide real-time updates on attraction downtimes and wait-times... more specifically the wait times.

    Due to the ease of accessible technical information, these real-time wait time updates could likely be accessed by anyone... and people would start checking them out before even GOING to the park (referring to AP holders mostly), gauge the wait times, relate it to general park attendance for that day, and then decide if it is worth going to the park.

    In other words, I think that providing this information would harm Disney's attendance (and consequent revenue production) much more than it would help it. Any concept that has the potential to turn people away is something Disney would likely stay away from.

  13. #13

    • Junior Member
    • Online

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,734

    Re: Handy iPhone/iPod Touch App Containing DL Park Info Now Available

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Good point, Mojave. Suppose there's always the possibility of integrating audio commercials (like the ones on radio) for app users to listen to prior to tapping each section of park information.
    This was really in reply to the idea of a MiceChat iPhone app.

    For a Disney created/supported app, I think it would be free.

  14. #14

    • "I Break Things"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,329

    Re: Handy iPhone/iPod Touch App Containing DL Park Info Now Available

    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo! View Post
    I kind of doubt Disney would provide real-time updates on attraction downtimes and wait-times... more specifically the wait times.

    Due to the ease of accessible technical information, these real-time wait time updates could likely be accessed by anyone... and people would start checking them out before even GOING to the park (referring to AP holders mostly), gauge the wait times, relate it to general park attendance for that day, and then decide if it is worth going to the park.

    In other words, I think that providing this information would harm Disney's attendance (and consequent revenue production) much more than it would help it. Any concept that has the potential to turn people away is something Disney would likely stay away from.
    First and foremost Disney needs to develop a much more accurate way of gauging their wait time. The current system relies on CM updates which may, or may not, be reliable. As I said I would have suggested a radio ID type system or a sensor based system to determine current capacity. Either option would be expensive. I just don't see Disney shelling out for something like that. It would be a heavy investment in a system that really wouldn't have a return. They could easily stream the current system wait times but again it may or may not be accurate. It depends on when the CM's updated it last.

    One thing that would be tremendously helpful is displaying what window Fastpass is currently issuing for, combined with the system clock so you can accurately gauge on Disney's system.

    I think it would be extremely helpful for Guests in the park, as well as for AP's trying to decide if they want to show up. This could deter people from busy days, but also encourage people on slow days. Slow days are when they need AP's the most... so I see it as a Win Win.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"


    "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"


  15. #15

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,016

    Re: Handy iPhone/iPod Touch App Containing DL Park Info Now Available

    My son's iTouch can connect to wifi (limited use, not sure what it can see). It could connect to Disney wifi, which can provide wait times, priority eating, downed attractions opening, etc., if something like that were available.
    Having it all available to 30000+ guests might render the info quickly useless.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Would you be interested in an iPhone/iPod Touch app?
    By Monorail Man in forum The Forums
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-29-2009, 03:20 PM
  2. [Fun] Cool New WDW Disney Dining App for iphone & ipod touch
    By BellePeach in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-22-2009, 09:44 AM
  3. [Other] Disneyland Park Planner for Iphone/Ipod Touch
    By aurorob in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-17-2009, 09:49 AM
  4. 16 gig iPhone and 32 gig iPod Touch RELEASED!
    By pveticket in forum The Tech Lounge
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 03-19-2008, 04:34 PM
  5. iPhone - iPod touch - iPod Origami video
    By CUatDL in forum Fun and Games
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-11-2007, 09:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •