Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Disneyland History Lover

Tomorrowland 2014... My Take

There are so many ideas floating around that detail what could be done to improve specific attractions and locations in Tomorrowland. But what of the overall land? What improvements to Tomorrowland could be done in order to improve upon and create your ideal vision of Disneyland's lands? Practically everything in Tomorrowland could be made better. Let's suppose a major overhaul of the area opens in 2014.

Tomorrowland - The World of Tomorrow

In order for it to live up to its Tomorrowland title, this land needs some serious TLC. It is obvious that the land has become a mish-mash of different ideas and attractions without a single, unifying theme to tie it all together. Popular attractions inhabit Tomorrowland at every side of the land. Space Mountain, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, as well as old favorites such as Star Tours and Autopia, find their mark in the casual visitor to the park.

What I envision for Tomorrowland is a land with an organized layout that depicts an overall comprehensive direction to which mankind may likely be headed. Granted, predicting where the world will be in fifty years can prove to be a daunting task. We make predictions, but no one really knows. Therefore, only through our knowledge of where we've been, where we are, and an analyzation of where our technologies may lead us can a good assumption be made of the future. And that's all Tomorrowland can ever truly be about. It is clear that Science Fiction has its impact on Tomorrowland. It is also clear that Pixar has a strong influence in the land. And these occurences may understandably be to the liking or disliking of Disneyland fans. Has Pixar encroached too far into Tomorrowland? Perhaps. But there are some options that I will get into shortly.

First of all, before we attempt to organize Tomorrowland properly, we must declare an appropriate theme. And that's very simple... The World of Tomorrow. That was the original intention, and that's what it should be now and always. A glimpse at what the future might be like through various attractions. I'm not talking about strictly roller coasters and laser games, but a harmonic balance of all things within the land. Eductaion officials exclaim that Americans are lacking in the subjects of math and science. Well, without making a museum out of Tomorrowland, let's add some interaction into Disneyland that emphasizes those two subjects. In my ideal vision, Tomorrowland would be organized into two split halves roughly bordering each other by the PeopleMover tracks. On the right is are the space-leaning attractions, while on the left are the more Earth-bound science and technological attractions.

On the right side, Tomorrowland begins with Star Tours. Not the current Star Tours, but the reincarnation slated to be coming in the near future. The building features an all-new and fresh looking facade. The queue is updated with elements that relate back to all six Star Wars films and feels new and refreshed. The ride now features various destinations that play at random which project on the HD screens at random. The exit area features a new paint scheme with all-new destination posters utilizing 3D technology. All of these destinations are actual places you can visit on the new Star Tours.

Following that, the Star Trader. I don't feel that Star Trader needs to be heavily changed, but it should be made somewhat smaller with a slight retheme to coincide with this refreshed Tomorrowland. The former Starcade would be relieved of it's out of place and forgotten aracade status and replaced with "Tomorrow and You," a walkthrough of various displays highlighting the most recent breakthrough and forcasted technological advances that would improve the life of humankind on the Earth. New walls would go into the both the lower and upper floors to separate the various exhibits. Some exhibits would include short films that would be looped. Others would be hands-on. All would show how such technological advances would benefit human life.

Next up, the former Honey I Shrunk The Audience building would be gutted from the inside and re-christened as "Adventures Thru Inner Space." This would not be the old ATIS from long ago, but a total reimagining of the original attraction. Passengers in their Atommobiles would still shrink, but they would be taken through a new adventure. No snowflakes here. This time we'd go into a human cell and then through an actual atom. Twenty-seven years after the original attraction, we should finally be able to break that barrier, right?

After ATIS, we have tried and true Space Mountain. The ride would remain essentially unchanged, but the queue and boarding area would be newly themed and redecorated. As we walk through the queue, we are briefed on the situation that is causing us to board our ship and are given a backstory as we move through different areas of the queue. We learn that we are cadets who are about to undergo our first true mission... a race against time at the speed of light. The old spaceship inside the boarding area would be done away with and replaced with an all new spaceship. As we are about to board, a robot takes the place of a Cast Member and asks us how many are in our group, and tells us where we are to board. A Cast Member in a different location would operate this robot and be capable of calling on specific passengers by name. A Cast Member would still be there to guide passengers, but it would be a secondary role to the robot. As everyone is seated, the robot gives a final "Good luck on your mission." In between, the robot jokes around with various passengers waiting to board. His jokes are actually funny, unlike Mr. Potato Head over at the park next door. The ride would be essentially the same with the exception of some new technology that would be able to make the ride more immersive. We'd see other objects along the way such as comets and planets. Obviously we wouldn't be able to muse at them, as we'd be zipping by at the speed of light. A new musical rendition of the Space Mountain theme would play as we went on our journey across the stars.

Following Space Mountain, Redd Rockett's Pizza Port would remain, but it would receive a heavily updated retheme. The aqua green and red of the interior would be done away with and replaced with maroon, baby blue, and silver. The cafeteria style of the eatery could remain, but the entrees would lose their space references and take on names that paid homage to earlier Tomorrowland attractions (Captain Eo's Spagetti and Meatballs, Carousel of Pepperoni Pizza, Flying Saucer Sausage Pizza, Caesar Rocket Salad, etc.). The building would maintain its vintage posters of old attractions, but new ones would be added of past attractions that don't yet have their own poster in the facility. Overall, the eatery would be a modern looking restaurant that reflects on attrations in Tomorrowland's past.

With the new aim to both educate and entertain guests in Tomorrowland, Innoventions is packed up and moved out of Tomorrowland, never to be seen again. The building becomes a planetarium, similar to, but exceeding the planetarium at the Griffith Observatory in Hollywood. The building's exterior would be entirely repainted and decorated to give off the appearance of an observatory. The murals at the bottom portion of the building would be gone and be replaced with new murals that are themed to space (outlines of children gazing through telescopes, planets, various spaceships, etc.). The outside queue would remain as it is now. Every twenty minutes, visitors would be able to enter the lower area of the building and tour the various displays that depict the history of space exploration and where humankind is headed in the infinite quest of space exploration. There would be learning modules for younger guests to interact with. The atmosphere would be very intricate and have a very space-ish to it. Toward the inner portion of the room and up the stairway would be the queue to get into the planetarium. Every twenty minutes, a fifteen minute show would begin that brings to life the history of the universe and mankind's role in exploring it. The roof of the building would have to be removed to make way for a large dome to be constructed for the the planetarium show. The show would be an extremely immersive and state of the art planetarium like no other. The technology utilized would not only project images on the ceiling and walls, but new technology would allow for 3D images to appear. 3D glasses would not be needed. After an audience would move out of the planetarium from the second level to the outside as is done now, the next group in the lower level queue would move into the planetarium for their show. And right after that, guests in the outside queue would move into the lower level of the building to check out the displays and get in line for their showing.

Beyond the Disneyland Planetarium would lie Autopia. The ride would remain outdoors as it is now but receive a total retheme and new, modern looking electric vehicles that look nothing like today's cars. The theme would be driving through various locations around the world. We would go through places such Times Square in New York, downtown Los Angeles, London, Tokyo, etc. 3D displays that would give the illusion of being in these locations would line the track. Although we would recognize them, they would be very futuristic looking as the entire attraction would be set fifty years in the future.

After the new Autopia, we would find ourselves at the Disneyland Railroad Tomorrowland Station. The station is relatively the same except for some new paint. However, along the way to Main Street, the Grand Canyon and Dinosaur displays receive all-new animatronics and improved scenery. Tyrannosaurus is now standing accurately with his tail being horizontal with his head. His head no longer looks goofy and he has a more modern interpretation of what the dinosaur may have looked like. He's also no longer fighting Stegosaurus, but instead is fighting Triceratops since Triceratops actually lived during his time in the Cretaceous period. Stegosaurus replaces the Triceratops scene which is now the Jurassic period that he belongs in.

After the Railroad station is the Monorail Station. The three new monorails are in full swing and working properly. Each has windows that ventilate well and function as necessary.

Not far away is the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage. It has been ceded to Fantasyland. Perhaps one day, when the Nemo theme runs its course, a fresh theme would find its way into the attraction that would allow it to make a return to Tomorrowland.

We then stop at the old Tomorrowland Terrace. The Jedi Training Academy still occurs from time to time, but the storyline is now different. Depending on what time you go, you can either participate in adventure that takes place during the Clone Wars or during the original Star Wars trilogy, the latter of which is similar to the current show. Burgers and fries are still served, although now they're supplied through In-N-Out due to Disneyland's new partnership with the popular restaurant chain. Burgers at Tomorrowland Terrace (and Disneyland in general) never tasted better. Shows still occur from time to time on different evenings, although the bands are better. Some nights you get cover bands, others you get original local bands with their own material. The stage is given a new look that accomodates the improved entertainment.

We then take an elevator ride up to the Astro Orbitor. Only, it's not the Astro Orbitor that we know today, it's an all new structure that sits high atop the Tomorrowland Transit Tour. The attraction's look is a blend between the old Rocket Jets and the more recent Astro Orbitor. It's somewhat shorter than the original Astro Orbitor, yet it incorporates similar rotating planets on a smaller scale than the old AO did. The white and rockets contrast nicely from the blue center portion of the ride and the brightly colored planets.

The next stop is the Tomorrowland Transit Tour. To access the Tour, we must go to the entrance of the queue building of the former Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters. The building now sports a very modernized facade. The setup is very similar as it was before Rocket Rods closed. However, the queue would be made to be educational. As you walk through it, a voice speaks trivia about mathematics and chemistry. You are quizzed on various mathematical questions that are made to be more entertaining than the typical "What is ten plus ten times one hundred?" The queue is also adorned with various references and displays that relate to math and science. Then you ultimately board your Tour vehicle, which is a modern take on the PeopleMover vehicle. Each vehicle is a different color that fits the overall color scheme of the land, which I forgot to mention, is deep crimson, silver, and white. The vehicles come not only in those colors, but also a deep shade of blue, a light baby blue, and a deep shade of purple; all of which complement Tomorrowland's color scheme.

As we exit Tomorrowland, we admire the new murals of both Star Tours and the Tomorrowland Transit Tour buildings. The Star Tours mural incorporates elements from current attractions on the south side of Tomorrowland, including Star Tours, Space Mountain, and the Astro Orbitor along with original elements. The northern side's mural features mathematical and scientific elements that incorporate the Tomorrowland Transit Tour queue and Adventures Through Inner Space depictions. It blends into a well-rounded mixture of original artwork for the mural. Both murals complement each other nicely and are essentially inverted colors of each other.

We then exit Tomorrowland in a wide-open space free of giant rocks that allows us more room to move around a breath. Tomorrowland, finally unified under a single theme and with updated and new attractions, has never been better.
    Last edited by Princess Victoria; 05-19-2009 at 05:46 PM.

Re: Tomorrowland 2014... My Take

I love the planetarium idea! As much as I would love ATIS to come back, I doubt it would fit in the HISTA building unless they enlarge it. And would the tour be somewhat of a recreation of the TTA at WDW? Or would it be a themed attraction? Also, anything is better than that hideous mess of spheres we call the Astro Orbiter.

• Go DCA, Go! :D

I really like the idea.

• DL Obsessed

Very well thought out and very detailed, i like it. I like the plantitarium idea, and it could be made very cool.
    What i dont like is the Starcade change. I just dont think anyone would be interested in something like that. Like it may be cool the first time but it wouldnt be something most people would enjoy twice, like every other ride in Disneyland.
    It seems like Space Mountain is the only ride that TRULY still fits in TL. Isnt that amazing though, how long its been there and its still relevant to tomorrow.

• MC, this is LD

Good idea and A+ execution!

--KAN

• "I Break Things"

I like the Planetarium. My concern is that the emphasis on the history of space exploration would take away from the future of it. If you think about it we've been staring at the stars for thousands of years... in the future the hope is we are visiting them. I would be slightly more interested if the Planetarium show focused on which systems we have colonized and the alien life forms we have come across. I think of a presentation similar to Treasure Planet, where the host can "zoom in" on any location and show you what is going on "now". This would also be a tremendous opportunity to utilize the Space Mountain ships, and Star Tours transports featured in the mural. You could "zoom in" on a fleet about to start a colonization process (for that matter you could watch them colonize a planet). You could highlight some of the star systems currently visited by Star Tours, as well as systems that have yet to be fully explored. Think of it as a combination of Planetary Colonization, Space Exploration, and Planetary Tourism... would be quite a show.

Also not to keen on giving up the Subs because there is a huge amount of potential there. I always thought of it as an intergalactic aquarium where you study alien species from ocean worlds. Autopia was an interesting concept. If the decision were made to focus on colonizing then it would stand to reason that Autopia would be the testbed of the vehicles. This would allow for the theme of different planetary terrain and the Guest would be the one testing the new vehicle design (of which it could have several).

Just my 2 cents.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• All-American

Aw, just days before I posted my own Tomorrowland proposal. And some of our ideas are rather similar...

...but, great minds think alike!

Nice job!

• Senior Monorail Minion

I like parts. I really thiunk we need an updated mission to mars like attraction, and should move the Star Trader to the HISTA building, then add a new attraction in there. The PM or TTA queue should go back into the middle of the walkway or wrap around the tower. We don't need to waste more attraction space. Knock out Buzz and put a ATIS type attraction in there.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!
    by intoxication, i'm pretty sure the OP meant that disneyland just gave us a free acid trip.
    -PLAUGED reffering to the Winnie the Pooh ride...

• Berm Buster

Mmm.... I like the sounds of In-n-Out.....

Anyway, all of the ideas are very well thought out. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
    I love the planetarium idea! As much as I would love ATIS to come back, I doubt it would fit in the HISTA building unless they enlarge it. And would the tour be somewhat of a recreation of the TTA at WDW? Or would it be a themed attraction? Also, anything is better than that hideous mess of spheres we call the Astro Orbiter.
    Well, the HISTA building could be extended somewhat. It could probably gain a bit of space going back towards the stage/screen area and then a bit to the left side where the entrance/exit area is.

I envision the Tomorrowland Transit Tour as similar to the Tomorrowland Transit Authority, yes, but only in concept. The vehicles would still be very different, very modern, though the scenery would be more or less as it's always been. And then the queue as I detailed would be grounded in math and science. If a planetarium were in place, however, the track would have to be re-routed somehow.

I appreciate your comments, everyone. Thank you.

• "I Break Things"

There are a couple things I thought of this morning and figured I would post as well.
    I love the thought of an AA grouping except I am worried about the timing. I am not sure what the delay would be between CM control and AA speech/movement but I know on Space seconds matter. If they could make it work it would definately be a shocking effect especially for little ones.

As far as the Planetarium there is something I forgot to mention. It would be great if they programmed the "show" to correspond to a touch table. This would allow the host to randomly select individuals from the audience and allow them to select whichever galaxy they would like to see... Since the maps are laid out in a grid it would overlay easily to touch. The main thing is to offer way more touch areas (as in 30 or so) then anyone could press in the duration of the show. They could also add additional destinations as they go. So to recap... you attend a show in the planetarium hosted by a CM. The CM asks for a volunteer, you accept and you are directed to walk up to the host who is standing next to a touch table. The CM instructs you to pick a destination, you pick a star, and the entire Planetarium reacts to your choice. The dome shifts to focus on that Star and several transparent screens projected on the wall of the dome would relay all known information about that star. You would have a screen showing what is currently going on (colonizing etc.), another screen with vital stats, another with the known history of that star/planet (approx age, when discovered, who discovered etc.) Each Destination would have approximately 2 minutes of show "time" including a voiced narration. Once a destination is selected it would be "grayed out" so that it could not be selected again during that show. Each show would compromise about 15 minutes, allowing for a total of 7 or 8 destinations.

My last thought is the Intergalactic Planetary Reserve. I have a feeling that once the Space Exploration Age takes off it will parallel the amazing discoveries of the Victorian Age. It would stand to reason that any alien life found on other planets would be captured, cataloged, and sent back to Earth for further study. This is where both the Subs, and Autopia come in. The Subs are research vessels that have been specially designed to study alien life forms. In order to raise funds for research, the Reserve is offering tours of it's facilities including a tour of the lagoon itself. For many in the public it is their first chance to view underwater alien life forms. The Reserve is also in charge of developing vehicles for the colonies, specifically scouting vehicles. They currently have several designs they are testing in a variety of terrains. Land based alien life forms (both plant and animal) that have been deemed harmless have been allowed to roam freely in those environments that resemble their home planet. This has allowed the Reserve to study alien life forms, while testing various vehicle designs.

So that's my 2 cents... a bit of a backstory and a lot of alien AA's to bring Tomorrow into Today.

• Senior Minion

I'm actually really starting to like some aspects of your ideas Tech. I do like how you blend more sci fi elements with the more original emphasis on future technology improving our lives. My only suggestion would be that I would want to have it feel more urban and lived in and not feel too much like a research outpost or something. I think most of your ideas could work in this context easily though.

I also like some of the OP's suggestions. I'm not sure about a few though. I agree with Tech that if you're going to do something like a planetarium that would use so much space, then it should have some really cool stuff to fit the new theme and make it more Disney. An exploration of the know galaxy at that time could be really fun. I also don't like the idea of turning an attraction into a queue. Whatever the comlaints are about Buzz, of which I agree some are valid, it's popular and I don't think turning it into a queue would be smart. Also not too sure about the ATIS idea. That location would really limit the design tremendously and you'd really have a hard time keeping Space open while doing that. I also don't understand the point of some of the SM changes. Many of those things were recently changed, I'd probably put my dollars elsewhere. Though the robot and some of the story ideas are cool and could be added pretty easily during a minor project. Maybe the planetatium could fit there (HISTA), and the new ATIS could replace the old COP/Innovations building? Anyway, some fun ideas, I would love to see a few of these really happen in TL.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• "I Break Things"

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack. I absolutely love the Planetarium concept. Because it would be an interactive show it is questionable if it would be better on a large scale (Innoventions) or a smaller scale (HISTA). If means a redo of HISTA this would also be the opportunity to reinforce the roof so the SM queue above could be fully utilized.

I also see a lot of potential for Innoventions. I am the first one to laugh at the current displays. What about something more along the lines of an Intergalactic TradeShow... where you get to view and expereince the latest in alien technologies as well as our own "current" technologies (things we think we will have in say 200 or 300 years). View the latest in food replication, watch as broken bones are repaired on an atomic level in seconds rather then hours (which is ironic because these days a break takes months)... there is so much potential and to be honest I feel it is being squandered. There were a lot of comments about the old House of the Future. Most notably is the fact that is was "smoke and mirrors". It was a display of what we thought the future would be, not of what we could buy now at a local Wal-mart. I would be interested in seeing a home power cell comprised of elements from 3 different planets and utilizing the technology of a previously unknown alien species who thought it was a "common gadget" but it's better then anything we have.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Awesome version!

What I would like to see is a Mission to Mars update along the lines of Mission: Space using HISTA's building and Starcade while re-routing Space's Exit. HISTA is outdated and the upstairs of Starcade is only used for media events while the downstairs isn't very futuristic anyways.

Keep it up!
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Techskip... I like some of your ideas regarding converting the Submarine Voyage into the Intergalactic Planetary Reserve. That would be an amazing update for the Subs at some point. I know I'd love to see something of that caliber.

I'm not too big on creating a totally fictional planetarium that's pretty far-fetched. The point of a planetarium would be to educate. Feeding children information of planets way out in the galaxy that have been colonized by people isn't really a good way to teach them, in my opinion. It's an imaginative idea, I just don't think this would be quite the place for it. Not to mention you'd have plenty of upset children who wouldn't get a chance to participate in selecting a destination. Plus having them get up in the middle of the show and having to walk in front of guests who are trying to enjoy the view isn't the best way to put on a show. Plus it would be unsafe, as planetariums typically need to be dark in order to present a realistic show. I think an alternative could be to do something such as what is rumored to become of Star Tours. The shows could rotate on a regular basis. Say five shows that come up in sequential order. The show you see will be the one that comes next in the sequence. I think in this type of situation in which you really want to immerse your visitors, you have to eliminate guest participation. The shows would still be able to emphasis where we may be headed in the future by by giving various scenarios. Perhaps aliens find us first and introduce us to technology that enables us to travel farther. Maybe we develop a new form of space travel that allows us to reach other planets in a reasonable amount of time. And from there we begin seeking out exisiting civilizations elsewhere in the galaxy. Or maybe a cataclysmic event forces mankind to leave Earth, and from there we begin looking for a new home planet. There are so many different short films that could be created for such an attraction, yet they would all be secondary to the planetarium's primary focus, which of course, would be to educate on the universe... where it came from, what it is, and what it could be. And all with mankind caught in the middle.

And Uncle Bob... I see what you're saying about making a queue out of Buzz Lightyear AstroBlasters. I didn't think of making a queue that would wrap around and lead up to the PM station... that would actually be ideal. In that case, I'd be all for moving Adventures Thru Inner Space into the Buzz Lightyear building and making HISTA into an all-new show of some sort. Or perhaps making it into a new laser blasting game of some sort similar to Laser Quest. I think that would definitely be popular.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast