Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Cool Ever "Look The Other Way" on the rides?

Many rides have something that's meant to catch your attention on just one side of the ride vehicle - one example that comes to mind is the "Zip-A-Dee-Lady" on Splash Mountain. I'm sure there are many more.

So - instead of looking at the attention-getter, do you ever look to the *other* side just to see if there's anything there you've missed? Anybody ever see any hidden treasures, surprises, Easter-egg-type things?

Is it always just a blank wall?
    okerry

• I'm not really here

Re: Ever "Look The Other Way" on the rides?

Man, "the other way" is usually the direction that I'm looking But that's me. Magicians hate me because I don't follow the misdirection, I keep looking away from where they want me to.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

All the time. It's especially fun but hard in HM. I want to see EVERYTHING.

• Not-So-New Member

Well I always look back at the drops on POTC. They look so tiny!
    -Chris

• Storyteller

I usually do look where I'm supposed to look half the time, but the other half is spent looking in the opposite direction. You can often find some neat things when you look behind you.

• in the Golden Afternoon

one of my favorite things to do. every few minutes I am probably turning around, lol.

• =)

All the time, yep. I sometimes have to force myself to stop and just enjoy the experience as it's supposed to be, but I do get major kicks out of not taking the bait, since the bait is usually there to distract you from behind-the-scenes stuff. Some of my favorites:

* On the second lift hill for BTMRR, you're supposed to look off to the left at the wonderful main spire of the mountain, or perhaps at the turtles and snakes and whatnot. If you look to the right instead, you can see the unthemed backsides of Pinocchio and Snow White through the trees.

* The Haunted Mansion is filled with this sort of thing. Look up and behind the right side of the doom buggy as you pass the grandfather clock - you can see the light and gobo for casting the hand shadow.

* Also on HM, look to your left as you enter the attic scene. You'll see a nondescript rolling steel door that leads to a maintenance area. (There's a reverse angle looking through that door at the track partway down this page.)

* Again on HM, look to your right and behind the doom buggy as you go down the hill into the graveyard and pass the caretaker and his dog. There's a large double door that leads to the outside of the show building, as well as some stairs that lead to a smaller door to the outside.

* This one is horrifying...even I don't like to do it. Turn around after you go beneath the boulder on Indiana Jones. You can see the boulder just...sitting there, rolling in place.

* On Pinocchio, you can see the real Blue Fairy AA behind and to the right near the end of the ride - the transparent one you're supposed to be looking at is a Pepper's Ghost reflection.

* Looking backwards after just about any drop or hill in just about any attraction is interesting.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

When I am scared, I look down. I am sure that's not the other way you are talking about.

It depends on the ride. On some rides, there is a lot to see, on both sidesof the vehicle. For instance Small World, and Storybook Land. If you are talking about the dark rides, I guess for the most part, the action is just on one side.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    * On the second lift hill for BTMRR, you're supposed to look off to the left at the wonderful main spire of the mountain, or perhaps at the turtles and snakes and whatnot. If you look to the right instead, you can see the unthemed backsides of Pinocchio and Snow White through the trees.

* On Pinocchio, you can see the real Blue Fairy AA behind and to the right near the end of the ride - the transparent one you're supposed to be looking at is a Pepper's Ghost reflection.
    *Looking backwards on BTMRR reveals MANY cameras set into the rockwork.

*The Winnie the Pooh that floats up into the dream sequence can also be scene if you are looking for it from the right spot and the right hand side of the vehicle. (It is also just a peppers ghost effect). Randall in MI is the same thing.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Not my brothers keeper...

I got talked to about over the loudspeaker once...while on dumbo

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

That's why my favorite seat on Casey Jr's train is the caboose. Totally different ride!

• Jeanne, like the lamp!

when you go often, i thought that became the thing to do

and they lived happily ever after

• Senior Minion

I do sometimes, but actually less than I would think. I usually enjoy experiencing the rides exactly as the Imagineers wanted us to. However, when I'm just walking around the park I can be like a space cadet to the people I'm with because I'm studying details in the buildings or lighting fixtures or signage or landscaping and thinking about how they did some strange detail that pretty much nobody else would look at. Of course I'm an architect and I really like figuring out how things were built, so I kind of do this all the time, not just at DL.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Banned User

On Splash Mountain when your going up the "big" drop and you see the vultures taunting you, look to your right and you will see a spot where a CM sits and monitors the riders on the final hill.

Looking up on the Matterhorn on the right side when you hear the yeti's first roar you can see the hollow, innards of the mountain.

From the monorail if you look down by the backstage by Autopia you can see some old starfish figures from the old sub voyage.

and i will confirm this tomorrow, but im pretty sure you can see some figures from Peter Pan, notably Wendy (the on the plank figure) on the side of the hill to the graveyard in the haunted mansion. they are probably being stored their for the refurb. rides are used for storage of other ride figures during their refurbs.
    Last edited by DasDisney; 05-21-2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: typo yo.

Small World is another favourite place to look elsewhere. I can't NOT look down into the unthemed areas.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast