Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• "I Break Things"

Re: Were there no Audio Animatronics on the Jungle Cruise?

Quote Originally Posted by JChapinCP View Post
    This wikipedia link has dates of refurbs and lists the changes
    Jungle Cruise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This is basically the same info...

• Elephant Pool and African Veldt (no animals)

• Elephants placed in Elephant Pool
    • Animals placed in African Veldt
    • Trapped Safari and Rhino added, Rhino was actually recycled... it had previously been the charging Rhino.

• Hornbill and Crocs added
    • Cobras and Bengal tiger added
    • Safari Camp added
    • Gorilla and Croc added
    • Baboons and Lion cave added
    • Python and Water Buffalos added

That was per the 1980's training manual, I can also provide pictures if you'd like. In 1994-95 the river was re-routed and the Jungle lost a few curves because of Indy. In 2004-05 the explosions were added, the baboons were moved and the piranha debuted along with Ellie. Sam lost his mask but he actually did not have one originally!
    This was posted on a now locked thread. I could swear I posted more extensively then this. I know I have the documentation somewhere. I'll try to look for it this weekend. I also have some old photos and a Popular Mechanics article on the Hippos.
    Last edited by techskip; 05-22-2009 at 01:29 PM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• =)

Let us not forget, if I understand correctly, that true AAs not only are synced to the show audio, but also were originally controlled by audio signals that wouldn't make much sense to your ear if you could hear them.

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Let us not forget, if I understand correctly, that true AAs not only are synced to the show audio, but also were originally controlled by audio signals that wouldn't make much sense to your ear if you could hear them.
    Aren't they controlled by an artist rather?

• =)

Touché.

• "I Break Things"

If this is in reference to Tiki then I'd like to see proof. Tiki had an "on switch"... everything else was a matter of timing.

I am not sure when Jungle installed sensor technology. That's how it is run currently but obviously at one time everything was on a continuous loop. I believe the original AA's (Marc Davis additions and upgrades) were on individuals loops but were also run continuously.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    If this is in reference to Tiki then I'd like to see proof. Tiki had an "on switch"... everything else was a matter of timing.
    Unfortunately, I can't remember where I heard this. I think it might have been from an Imagineer in person. But if I understood correctly and if the information was correct in the first place, AAs were originally controlled by seemingly meaningless audio signals.

Goodness, I hope I'm not spreading misinformation.

• Senior Minion

The Vintage Disneyland Tickets blog posted an article from Radio & Television News magazine of August, 1956, entitled "Sound Effects add Realism to Disneyland." It has descriptions and photos of the early Jungle Cruise audio system -- including a shot of the two big reel-to-reel decks mentioned in techskip's post above.

It's at vintagedisneylandtickets.blogspot.com. Under "blog archives" on the sidebar, click on the "May" twirly, then in the dropdown list on "Radio & Television News - August 1956."

(And for anyone who hasn't visited VDT, be sure to browse the archives -- it's full of fascinating stuff about the history of Disneyland!)

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    I think this may be a matter of symantics.

The Jungle Cruise has had, since its first day of operation, had mechanically moving animals. The types of mechanisms that moved those animals were different from what was later to be known as audio-animatronics.

The term Audio-Animatronics was not used by Disney until 1961. Patent records show that the trademark for audio animatronics was filed in 1964, and registered in 1967. The first attraction using THAT technology was the Echanted Tiki Room. However, the Jungle Cruise has had mechanically moving animals since its opening day.
    That's how I understand it.
    The birds of Tiki Room were the first to have the movement (talking) to go with the Audio (henceforth an AA).
    I'm sure once that was going the Imagineers were just waiting to use it on other rides such as the JC (but that part is just my opinion)
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Unfortunately, I can't remember where I heard this. I think it might have been from an Imagineer in person. But if I understood correctly and if the information was correct in the first place, AAs were originally controlled by seemingly meaningless audio signals.

Goodness, I hope I'm not spreading misinformation.
    If you watch the 10th Anniversary reel, Walt shows off his tiki birds and talks about signals (I think, been while since I watched it).
    I even want to say air pressure had a lot to do with it.
    (again, been awhile since I've watched it)
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• =)

Yeah, I believe the Tiki Room birds have to be pneumatic, not hydraulic, so as to avoid the birds peeing hydraulic fluid on the guests down below.

• "I Break Things"

Yeah, I believe the Tiki Room birds have to be pneumatic, not hydraulic, so as to avoid the birds peeing hydraulic fluid on the guests down below.
    They are air pressure... and the "tubes" are pretty well disguised. It runs from the perch up to the body through the feet! No one even notices. The reason for air is because of the birds' placement. They are all above Guests' heads and the concern was that if one sprung a leak it would leak on a Guest. I believe the same is true of the hanging Indy AA (although I think it was fluid at first and later changed out when WDI relearned this experience!)

The "featherd chests" are actually a sort of cashmiere. The story goes that they were looking for a material that would stretch but resemble feathered plume. Walt was wearing a sweater and when he reached up the designer noticed how it stretched and conformed to his elbow. This is one of those "thinking outside the box" moments. Rum can fill in all the details, she knows the WIWF tour.

• HauntedOne999

They are air pressure... and the "tubes" are pretty well disguised. It runs from the perch up to the body through the feet! No one even notices. The reason for air is because of the birds' placement. They are all above Guests' heads and the concern was that if one sprung a leak it would leak on a Guest. I believe the same is true of the hanging Indy AA (although I think it was fluid at first and later changed out when WDI relearned this experience!)

The "featherd chests" are actually a sort of cashmiere. The story goes that they were looking for a material that would stretch but resemble feathered plume. Walt was wearing a sweater and when he reached up the designer noticed how it stretched and conformed to his elbow. This is one of those "thinking outside the box" moments. Rum can fill in all the details, she knows the WIWF tour.
    I can vouche for this... all animation in the Tiki Room is run off of two things: pnumatics and electro-magnets.

however... the birds mechanics are heavily greased and sometimes the grease leaks and stains the coverings.

The birds are covered with an uncommon knit of cashmere. The mass production of which was stopped in the 70's. Disney now produces its own in order to keep the show running. Due to the long process of the manufacturing of the cashmere and the cost...only the MCs and the birdmobile gets maintained on a regular basis.

The cashmere covering is like a hooded sweatshirt (for macaws)... it is first attached to the head, then when the head is attached to the body it is then affixed to the abdomin. The smaller birds coverings are like a dickie...only a small strap sits around the neck.

in order to make the birds "breath" there is a small panel in the chest cavity that moves. In order to cut down on the wear of the cashmere a panel of heavy silky fabric is stitched on the backside.
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Alpoe001 View Post
    I can vouch for this... all animation in the Tiki Room is run off of two things: pneumatics and electro-magnets.

however... the birds mechanics are heavily greased and sometimes the grease leaks and stains the coverings.

The birds are covered with an uncommon knit of cashmere. The mass production of which was stopped in the 70's. Disney now produces its own in order to keep the show running. Due to the long process of the manufacturing of the cashmere and the cost...only the MCs and the birdmobile gets maintained on a regular basis.

The cashmere covering is like a hooded sweatshirt (for macaws)... it is first attached to the head, then when the head is attached to the body it is then affixed to the abdomen. The smaller birds coverings are like a dickie...only a small strap sits around the neck.

in order to make the birds "breath" there is a small panel in the chest cavity that moves. In order to cut down on the wear of the cashmere a panel of heavy silky fabric is stitched on the backside.
    One of the highlights of the Tiki refurb was the decision to move the AA shop.

• "I Break Things"

I've posted in a variety of places on the net... and I thought I had the actual article but only a reference to it...

Walt wanted the attraction to be a boat ride by live animals, but complications (the largest being the fact that most animals nap during the day) prevented this from happening. Instead Disney turned to the Disney studio's special effects artists, most notably Robert Mattey. A 1957 Popular Mechanics article read, "Each hippo has a water motor to wiggle its ears. Seven jets in this motor shoot streams of water against a small turbine. The shaft from the turbine connects to rods running to the moveable's cars much the same as an auto crankshaft connects to rods running to pistons." from Disneyland of Yesteryear: Rides

If anyone is a Popular Mechanics history buff I would appreciate a scan of the article.

If anyone is doing research on Jungle or for that matter Disneyland I would highly recommend the following 4 blogs.
    http://gorillasdontblog.blogspot.com/
    http://matterhorn1959.blogspot.com/
    http://davelandblog.blogspot.com/
    http://junglecruise55.blogspot.com/

I've learned a lot from them about the history of the Jungle and the park as a whole.

Last edited by techskip; 05-23-2009 at 11:43 AM.

• HauntedOne999

One of the highlights of the Tiki refurb was the decision to move the AA shop.
    it also was cool that the sound guy let me and Kat help him disect a couple of the birds while 101... I sooo miss working there, especially when something went wrong.
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast