Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

Were there no Audio Animatronics on the Jungle Cruise?

My Grandpa had bought me a Disneyland souvenier book from 1980 (that was back from when Disney was celebrating its 25th Anniversary). I was currently reading the book, and one of the things that was interesting was that the Jungle Cruise didn't see audio-animatronics until 1962 when the elephants were put in.

So I guess my question is: were Audio-Animatronics absent on the Jungle Cruise prior to 1962?

• =)

Re: Were there no Audio Animatronics on the Jungle Cruise?

Techskip and others can be a lot more helpful in terms of specifics, but my understanding is that the attraction has always featured moving animals to some extent, but the early figures do not strictly qualify as audio-animatronics because they used comparatively simple cam-based mechanisms. This sort of setup allows simple, repetitive motions that aren't synched to audio.

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Tiki room opened in 1963
    It was the first to use Audio Animatronics.
    Since Tiki Room show cased the first AA,
    then I would have to say that no JC didn't have AA's.
    It's been awhile since I"ve been on it.
    I want to say there are no AA's on it still.
    But those who ride it often can correct me.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Techskip and others can be a lot more helpful in terms of specifics, but my understanding is that the attraction has always featured moving animals to some extent, but the early figures do not strictly qualify as audio-animatronics because they used comparatively simple cam-based mechanisms. This sort of setup allows simple, repetitive motions that aren't synched to audio.
    What data said
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Banned User

Did you all know that Harolds past life was a Gorilla AA from the Jungle cruise?

I think that all the sight gags were added in '62 (And if I remember right, it was expanded as well). It was originally meant to be taken seriously as a 'True Life Adventure' through the jungle. I think the animals were there but they may have been static or just had simple movements. I've never seen pics or a read up on what exactly the JC was like originally though. Would be interesting to see.
    Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
    1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
    1990, 1992, 1993
    2006, 2007, 2009
    2010, 2011, 2014

Walt Disney World
    2000, 2001

• DL Obsessed

On my disneyland video, that did an introduction of Disneyland in 1955, it showed moving animals at least. I dont beleive there were any audio animatronics, but they had machines set up to make them move.

• "I Break Things"

Others pretty much said it. I have pictures on my home laptop that show some of the early mechanisms... Basically the original animals were very crude simple cam/lever style and the entire Jungle was on a reel to reel animal sounds loop. A 56 Skipper told me that the machine was built in Pasadena for the Space Program but Walt "pulled some strings" to get 2 of them for Disneyland. I don't know if the history is true but it was reel to reel machines.

There were earlier refurbs (56 and 59 I think trying to remember my documentation) but major modifications started in 1962 with the removal of the crocs from what was to become the Elephant pool. Starting in 1963 Marc Davis and company added comical scenes and animals were then synced to scene specific sounds. Technically the syncing of specific movements of robotics to the playing of specific sounds is the backbone of AA technology. I'll let others debate if it was Jungle or Tiki that did it first. They wrapped up the major enhancements by 1972.

I don't have the time right now but if someone can do a comprehensive search there should be a good timeline on here about the refurbs of Jungle and what was added. I remember writing it up a while back in response to a similar question.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
    I think that all the sight gags were added in '62 (And if I remember right, it was expanded as well). It was originally meant to be taken seriously as a 'True Life Adventure' through the jungle. I think the animals were there but they may have been static or just had simple movements. I've never seen pics or a read up on what exactly the JC was like originally though. Would be interesting to see.
    Your right it was originally a lot more serious. Check out this link which has the original narration by Thurl.
    http://besotted.250free.com/ShellGro...e%20Cruise.mp3

This wikipedia link has dates of refurbs and lists the changes
    Jungle Cruise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    If you liked the above posting then my name is Joel. If you didnt my name is Julie and I work on the monorail.

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

Yes - originally the animals of the jungle were crude mechanical ones that moved on tracks and had cam & lever systems moving their heads, etc. The AA's weren't added until the early 60's, which is also when the scenes became more humorous and the narration from the skips changed from travelogue-style (a-la True Life Adventures) to the comedic spiels we hear today. Marc Davis was responsible for the more humorous scenes like the lost expedition and the elephant pool. (Ever notice how all those elephants seem to be smiling?
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• Rock Star Minion

I also read somewwhere that there was a lot of plastic foilage (sic) in the attraction until, say, 1980 (?) or so, when it became fully organic.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• =)

I wouldn't blame Disney if that were true. Takes a while to grow an honest-to-goodness jungle! I'm sure glad they grew one nevertheless.

• DLR Cast Member

I think this may be a matter of symantics.

The Jungle Cruise has had, since its first day of operation, had mechanically moving animals. The types of mechanisms that moved those animals were different from what was later to be known as audio-animatronics.

The term Audio-Animatronics was not used by Disney until 1961. Patent records show that the trademark for audio animatronics was filed in 1964, and registered in 1967. The first attraction using THAT technology was the Echanted Tiki Room. However, the Jungle Cruise has had mechanically moving animals since its opening day.
    Last edited by RiversOfAmerica; 05-22-2009 at 12:46 PM.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I also read somewwhere that there was a lot of plastic foilage (sic) in the attraction until, say, 1980 (?) or so, when it became fully organic.
    I've heard that rumor but I have never found any documentation behind it. If anyone has it I'd be happy to see it. There's the obvious... rainforest, trapped safari, native huts... but aside from that to my knowledge all the plants were real. I've seen pictures from the opening years... it looks like a lot of dirt berms. I've also heard stories from Skippers back then. They claimed that since the Skipper was standing up he could literally see the boat on the other side of the berm. Because the Guests were seated the berm blocked their view and preserved the magic. Over time all the plants grew in.

There's also a couple stories about the plants from Walk in Walts... good memories.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Animatronic

I suspect the elephant used cams to trip an elephant roar at some point. While that technique has both audio and movement, there isn't a full audio track synced with the full movement. Like most things, I suspect audio animatronics had a slow evolution and Disneyland likely had(has) everything from a plywood cutout to a manikin to a prerecorded show figure to a fully compliant reactive robot.

I know the tiki room used techniques quite different for it's long show than the cam stacks used in the first generation pirates and haunted mansion figures. Lincoln, it's rumored, orginally used paper tape, much like a player piano, but that technique led to lincoln attacking people when the paper ripped.

I'm sure there are what one could call audio animatronics on the Jungle Cruise now. The monkeys shoot and trip synchronized water bursts, birds chirp with synchronized mouths, etc. Still, mixed among the real and plastic plants, I suspect some of the animals still have simple movments against a background audio track.
    it's a sale of candy and a sale of plush, it's a sale of toys and disney stuff
    there's so much that we sell, that it's time we tell, it's a plush plush sale!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast