Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Where would you like to see Discovery Bay?

There has been some discussion on the DCA project tracker about this. Since this isn't a DCA project I think it needs its own thread, here it is:

Discovery Bay was Tony Baxter led project designed to go on the backside of the rivers of america up behind thunder mountain. It is basically a land placed during the steam era of the industrial revolution and can best be described as a sort of Jules Verne Frontierland.

<link removed>

And here is some concept art from Disney and More:

The concept was shelved for disneyland but some of the ideas in Baxter's concept art migrated to Tim Delaney's Discoveryland attractions at DLP.

So the question I am asking is this? If disney was to add DB would you care if it was in DCA? Would the chinatown setting tie into the California Adventure 'theme'? Would imagineering need to rename the project to something like "Eureka" to better suite the Golden State setting? Or could it only be done right if it was done in Disneyland?

Personally I think it could only work in Disneyland. Disneyland has the mature vegetation to give the land a sense of age and permanence. Disneyland has the space back behind BTMRR and the aesthetic transition between Frontierland and DB would not be as jarring as say DB to carsland.

Your Thoughts Please?
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 05-23-2009 at 07:48 AM. Reason: link removed

Re: Where would you like to see Discovery Bay?

The 3rd gate. There is no reason to try to shoehorn this fantastic land into either of the existing parks. There is not enough room in either one to really do it justice.

• Perhaps he knows too much

Right where it belonged.

• =)

There's enough room, but I personally would rather see more Frontierland stuff. The land only has one real, honest-to-goodness attraction, and I find it to be rather underrated anyway. Tony Baxter has done a lot of truly awesome work, but Discovery Bay isn't my favorite concept of his.

• Senior Minion

I still think it would be best in DCA, but with what they're planning, it would be a tight fit. Nonetheless I'd rather see it in DCA than the third gate, and I guess it would still be cool in DL, but my second choice. It's really a perfect land for a California themed park and DCA really needs something like this. I don't want the third gate to have a land that could fit in DL or DCA. Its theme needs to be more unique IMO.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Keepin' it calsteady

There's already enough to see and do in Disneyland, I don't think a new entire land would improve the experience.

In fact, having areas without attractions is important for theming to be effective. You need to have a sense that you are traveling to your next destination for it to feel right.

• Mrs. J. Depp

This concept has already been executed at Disney parks overseas. Not too likely that you'll see it here, much less in Disneyland.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Senior Minion

Many aspects of it have been done in different ways at overseas parks. The aspects of it that really haven't been yet fully explored though, the China Town, the Gold Rush era gambling halls, and the Barbary Coast, all would work perfectly in DCA. It could still have a little of the steam punk feel, but a new version could be created that would work perfectly in DCA and also make it significantly different from TDS and Discoveryland.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Banned User

I would like to see this honestly, in Shanghai Disneyland. Honestly, there isn't enough room to do it in DCA, and it would be weird to have a California based land that isn't in California. Put it in Shanghai Disneyland to add a uniqueness factor.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I think Disney needs a big draw at the north end of the Park to pull people out of conjested Adventureland and ease lines. A new ride or two, and all that added walkway/store space would both increase capacity and remove lines. Let DCA get something else that will better suit the themes around the area it was preposed for there. (Not that I entirely like the plan there either)

• Minion

It should go where it was designed to go - - in Disneyland. Discovery Bay is a perfect transition between Frontierland and Fantasyland - - and I would dearly love to see the Nautilus take its rightful place in Anaheim along with Vulcania at least.

And Disneyland hasn't had a major addition since 1995. It's overdue. and with Annual Passholders and locals, they need more attendance capacity in attractions.

Of course, this should happen only AFTER Tomorrowland is finally and fully restored.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by bee1000 View Post
    There's already enough to see and do in Disneyland, I don't think a new entire land would improve the experience.

In fact, having areas without attractions is important for theming to be effective. You need to have a sense that you are traveling to your next destination for it to feel right.
    That is the right answer. I seriously doubt that Disneyland will ever see any major expansion again.

As for Discovery Bay itself? It's time has come and gone.

I have been fortunate enough to go to Disneyland Paris and it was great to see many of the ideas from DB end up in Discoveryland particularly the blimp emerging from the building.

I did the Nautilus walk through and while I enjoyed it, I can tell you that many on this board would complain load that it was just some lame walk through and why didn't they spend the money on some big E ticket.
    The Mur

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Where would I like to see Discovery Bay? I'd like to see it where it could be achieved properly. Not shoe-horned in just to do it, nor inserted in because there's nothing better to do.

I think Disneyland is really quite packed as it is. If there IS room in Frontierland, I don't know if I'd want to see another land. I'd rather just have more Frontierland. I think it would be nice to see an extension of it to properly connect Fantasyland and wouldn't mind if something was done to the Festival of Fools arena for that.

DCA hmm... I've said in the other thread that I would have liked it to occupy the northern part of Paradise Pier (golden dreams - pizza oom mow mow) so to properly connect the SF street and to also match better with the Grand Californian Hotel behind it.

But if Little Mermaid is going to be living there, that's out of the question. I like the notion that a person could be standing on one side of the bay and experience the views of another land and vice versa.

I guess now I wouldn't mind seeing in Gate #3, but they "claim" that they have more ideas than land to build them so, I really don't mind either way I suppose at this point in time.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• DL Obsessed

I like this idea, but i think that it should be tied in with Frontierland kind of. Maybe old west transitioning into new age. I dont know how that would work, but i would definatly like to see it. What i would like to see is a really nicely NEW themed area with 1-2 decent rides or something.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast