• I'm not really here

In which Mycroft presents an Armchair Imagineering idea

Setting: Research Company
    Inspiration for this Attraction:

1. ATIS
    2. Star Tours
    3. Indiana Jones
    4. Monsanto Hall of Chemistry
    5. Powers of Ten ([ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2cmlhfdxuY"]YouTube - Powers Of 10[/ame])
    6. Innerspace (Innerspace (1987))

The queue enters the lobby of the building and passes by a security booth staffed by burly security guard. You pass through fake metal detectors before entering a hallway with glass windows into various lab offices. At the booth a guard hands out VIP badges (think Autopia driver's licenses). Periodic announcements of intercom greeting the visiting VIPs and other inside joke type announcements (like Star Tours queue).

Each office contains various experiments in different fields, genetics, astronomy, lasers, etc. Monitors displaying results and real facts about such experiments. All equipment would be that really used by scientists in such fields. Can have audio narration about these experiments near each of these rooms.

Queue proceeds underground and enters a curved, circular shaped tunnel housing a particle accelerator. Steam, rotating warning lights, lasers, fiber optic cable, etc. Line passes by beam guides on a single side only.

At the end of this tunnel, groups of visiting VIPs are greeted by one of the lab scientists in lab coat. Ask if we've enjoyed our tour of the facility so far. Informs us that Dr. Robinson is waiting for us in the main lab and leads us down a short hallway to an imposing looking airlock door. Upon entering a security code lights flash, buzzer sounds and the door swings open accompanied by the hiss of air.

Inside the lab are racks of equipment along the walls, filled with tools and parts. Racks of servers blinking and beeping away. Computer screens on mounts (from ceiling and floor) display schematics, graphs, projects, analyses. Several animatronic scientists work at computers, or adjusting items on the shelves. In the center of the room is a craft, sleek and fast looking, open topped with a ramp leading up to the side. An engineer (animatronic) is working on one of the wings or fins, welding. Sparks falling to the floor as he works. As we enter, our guide calls out to Dr. Robinson who is working, his back to us, at the front of the room (animatronic). Turns and greets us, waving. Thanks our guide and asks them to help us take our seats in the vehicle. We are guided up the ramp and into vehicle.

Once seated, our guide turns to the front and says, "They're all yours Dr. Robinson." and exits down the ramp as he turns and begins explaining that this vehicle is the culmination of years of research in various fields. It is capable of bending the very fabric of spacetime allowing it to travel anywhere, anywhen. It even has the experimental ability to change its size. As he continues his explanation of how this would allow archaeologists to study the pyramids being built, etc.

From this point on, the attraction follows multiple randomly generated scenarios.

A problem of some kind develops (power surge (wall mounted servers spark and fall over), failure of a computer). Dr. Robinson asks us to remain calm, craft begins to shudder and raise a few feet, hovering and swaying from side to side slightly. Lights flicker, smoke and sparks coming from lights.

--- Above the lab is an almost complete sphere accessed through an door in the ceiling that irises open. The interior surface of this dome is covered in OLED screens allowing for high definition video in a spherical curve all around you. You are surrounded in every visible direction by video. The ride vehicle is actually a 6 degrees of freedom simulator capable of movement forward/backward, left/right, up/down, rotation 360 degrees, tilting left/right and forward/backward.

Start scenario A) Large iris in ceiling opens revealing the blue sky and clouds overhead. Computer voice intones "Auto-pilot engaged, beginning ascent" and the craft tilts backwards, moving upwards rapidly. The lab falls away below you.

Start scenario B) The craft shudders violently as the lights go out completely. Iris opens in darkness and vehicle is raised up into dome without your knowing.

There are multiple ride scenarios at this point, all based on very real science.

1. Center of the Galaxy
    2. Jupiter's moon Io
    3. Supermassive star
    4. Inside blood vessels of human body
    5. Over large volcano somewhere on Earth
    6. etc...

--- The is a video monitor infront of each person (like the small ones on Monsters, Inc.)

Soon after this initial rough entry, the craft stabilizes and the monitors come on. Dr. Robinson informs us that they have managed to lock onto our signal, but they can't override the auto-pilot yet. Let's us know where we are and what we are seeing. Craft flying smoothly over and around the location, doing physical turns and lifting, sliding, banking as the video moves in relation to this.

--- Having 6 degrees of freedome allows for realistic physical sensations to accompany the video. Moreso than a traditional motion simulator.

At this point there is another branch of random sequences: Another problem occurs. There are several possible problems for each of the sequences allowing for many possible combinations of ride sequences. You could have ride sequence 1, but error a, b, or c.

These could be anything from white blood cells identifying you as a foreign body and trying to attack your craft to the star going supernova and you having to outrun the resulting explosion. The autopilot could fail and the craft could fall into the volcano, ending up in the lava resivoir beneath the surface. High speed, lots of motion, etc to escape the resulting situation while Dr. Robinson and his team try to get you back in one piece.

This system allows for the removal of older sequences and addition of new sequences or "problems" at any time by simply updating the ride control servers with the new information. Having it based in real scientific fact brings back that feel of true scientific exploration and adventure that Tomorrowland used to have. Using a fictional type of craft allows for some impossible scenarios to play out as possible. The ride should not be burdened down with facts, but it should all be based in fact. This way people may learn a few things just by being there, without ever knowing it. This is primarily a thrill ride.

Here is a REALLY rough idea of the motion of the vehicle:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwI3qGxDGGA&feature=channel_page"]YouTube - Rough Ride Design[/ame]
    This was done quite some time ago when I initially started thinking about this idea. Scales and vehicle design are not really what I'm picturing, but were good enough to give an idea of how it would move. Please excuse my crude, 10 minute effort on the animation.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Senior Minion

Re: In which Mycroft presents an Armchair Imagineering idea

WOW!!!!

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Yeah.....

That Powers of Ten video......

• "I Break Things"

interesting
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• We Go On.

Pretty cool idea. The animation video reads "embedding disabled by request"...

• Senior Minion

Pretty cool. My only concerns would be if we need two motion simulator rides in TL and how you actually make the vehicle move like that.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    Pretty cool idea. The animation video reads "embedding disabled by request"...
    Umm... I'll check that and fix it here in a sec. heading home from work now.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Pretty cool. My only concerns would be if we need two motion simulator rides in TL and how you actually make the vehicle move like that.
    This is no mere simulator... and quite a bit different from Star Tours... but an arguable point.

Getting the vehicle to move like that isn't actually that difficult to do. I'll post more about that when I get home as well.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• MC, this is LD

Great idea and concept!

--KAN

• Keepin' it calsteady

Sounds like fun once you were on it, but it seems to have a lower capacity than even the subs - the line would stretch for hours and hours.

Given that Tomorrowland already has Star Tours where a simple journey in front of a screen goes horribly wrong, this might need a different home. How about a steam punk version in Frontierland?

• "I Break Things"

where would this attraction be built? (as in physical location in Tomorrowland)

• I'm not really here

NASA SimLabs - VMS - Motion Base
    This is NASA's 6 degree of freedom Vertical Motion Simulator. It is massive. The ride uses similar ideas just scaled WAY down and altered in a few ways to make it fit in a building.

As for hourly capacity, it would be no worse than Star Tours. There would, by necessity be different "labs" (3 or 4) and the vehicle I imagine can hold 30 or 40 guests at a time.

Ideally I would love to demolish Innoventions completely and place it in Tomorrowland. Using the underground "particle accelerator" tunnel allows for the line to snake under itself without using additional horizontal space as well as keeping the building height from being to great.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    NASA SimLabs - VMS - Motion Base
    This is NASA's 6 degree of freedom Vertical Motion Simulator. It is massive. The ride uses similar ideas just scaled WAY down and altered in a few ways to make it fit in a building.

As for hourly capacity, it would be no worse than Star Tours. There would, by necessity be different "labs" (3 or 4) and the vehicle I imagine can hold 30 or 40 guests at a time.

Ideally I would love to demolish Innoventions completely and place it in Tomorrowland. Using the underground "particle accelerator" tunnel allows for the line to snake under itself without using additional horizontal space as well as keeping the building height from being to great.
    I am not entirely sold on the attraction portion but definately digging the science laboratory tour! I always thought it would be interesting for Disney to mock up a future "power source" that is the driving force behind Tomorrowland. I really think the whole lab could work as is in Innoventions (new name change please... Innoventions is horrible). All around amazing effort though

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I am not entirely sold on the attraction portion but definately digging the science laboratory tour! I always thought it would be interesting for Disney to mock up a future "power source" that is the driving force behind Tomorrowland. I really think the whole lab could work as is in Innoventions (new name change please... Innoventions is horrible). All around amazing effort though
    Now it was a long time ago
    but didn't misson to mars have AA's in the background doing "science work"
    And you had one AA science guy giving an explanation to everything?

I just think Tomorrowland has one flaw.
    Tomorrow is only a day away, and then the next day is obsolete
    so it's not really easy to be ahead of the future.
    MOST films have a good future aspect. What keeps it future is that most likely we wouldn't go that direction or it 's not totally plausible.
    When Walt started tomorrowland technology wasn't changing on a daily basis (in retrospect to how it is today)
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    I just think Tomorrowland has one flaw.
    Tomorrow is only a day away, and then the next day is obsolete
    so it's not really easy to be ahead of the future.
    MOST films have a good future aspect. What keeps it future is that most likely we wouldn't go that direction or it 's not totally plausible.
    When Walt started tomorrowland technology wasn't changing on a daily basis (in retrospect to how it is today)
    I have never been to Mission to Mars so I couldn't tell ya. As to technology, we were just having that discussion on another thread. It's a double edged sword when it comes to technology in Tomorrowland. It has to be close enough to be believable (200 years ago you would be locked up if you said man would fly in the future). But it has to be far enough ahead so it isn't outdated by the time it's construction is completed (digital frame technology comes to mind).

• We Go On.

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I agree. Even though the ride does sound really cool, I'm liking the queue more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast