Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Man has heart attack in Downtown Disney

On Friday when I was at Disneyland, I went into the Wetzels Pretzles and was waiting in line, shortly after a man came rushing in and said "we need medical attention out here, possible heart attack". So I got my stuff and walked outside.....and..... yeah, he didn't look too good. He was about in his late fourtys, maybe early fifties, he was a larger man, maybe about 350, or 360, bald on top hair all around on the sides. But I'd like to really tip my hats off to the Disneyland Resort security officers they handled the situation well, first thing they did was back everyone away and about 4 or 5 of them blocked off the scene, while other security officers tried to revive him. But from what I saw, it didn't look too good, paramedics finally decided to show up(half an hour after the incident occured!!!) they put him on a stretcher and carted him off. Scary thing to witness, it caused alotta people to stop and watch, at the Catal bar, I saw people in the window upsatairs looking down, along with a few employees....shocked. It was just an overall terrible thing to witness. I hope the man made it through safely

• Banned User

Re: Man has heart attack in Downtown Disney

Wow, that's crazy. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

We saw that last night! It was very scary, but also impressive how the Disney personnell handled the scene. I hope he's OK.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Prayers to the man and his family and friends.

Sonoma County, Ca. but born in Whittier, Ca.

"paramedics finally decided to show up(half an hour after the incident occured!!!)"

First, let me say that I hope the man did OK. Second, let me say that the above quote disturbs me. As a veteran paramedic, let me tell you something... We don't "decide" to show up. We are assigned a call, and we respond. Paramedics in California are, for the most part, the red-headed step-child of public safety. Most systems operate on what's called "system status management". Basically, what this means is this: Management puts out the minimum number of ambulances that they think they can get away with. Less paramedics to pay, less liability insurance per ambulance to pay. If each unit runs more calls in their shift, then they are cost efficient. Do you know the circumstances behind the paramedic unit's response? I doubt it. Guess what? Friday nights on a holiday weekend are BUSY! This paramedic crew was probably working their tails off. The "levels" were probably low and they were coming from quite a distance away. "Levels" are the amount of ambulances available at any given time. This is a finite number. If there are 15 ambulances available in Anaheim and 15 people call 911 (not unrealistic, believe me), there go your levels. Oh, and if the 911 phone system was busy, you could actually be put on hold! It happens all the time in a busy urban setting. We all know how great people are at yielding to emergency vehicles. Friday traffic adds to the response time as well. Oh, and by the way, the crew was obviously delayed to the call. Don't worry, they'll get disciplined by their supervisor, even if the delay wasn't their fault. I've had it happen. Management doesn't like call delay fines. Takes away from the bottom line.

Sorry for the rant. It's a sore subject.

• Disneymom

I can understand where this is disturbing to you. It is hard for us to grasp that not all calls can be attended to on a timely fashion. I really hope that man made it. Good luck to him and his family. Cudos to the Disney staff for keeping it under control.

• "I Break Things"

First and foremost I hope the individual is ok and receiving proper care. Secondly I am grateful for Security. I never really understood the reason why some individuals "stop and stare" but in an emergency those individuals will get in the way. Thankfully Security was able to clear a perimeter before the crowd became too large to move. It's part of their job, that's what they do, and I for one am thankful for it.

anziodogface, thank you for doing what you do on a daily basis. I would hope that your comments, and the comments of other paramedics, are written down and submitted to the public. Those comments would hopefully improve the system and expose the issues you brought up. I don't really know anything about the system, so I thank you for your insight. Incidentally the media has started to cover the disturbing trend in "unimportant 911 calls"... It is beyond me why someone would call 911 for anything other then a dire emergency but it does happen. I guess some people consider "they got my order wrong at [insert fast food name here]" to be an emergency.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Thanks Techskip. I have to apologize for getting my undies in a bunch. It's just that we (paramedics) get that all the time. I'm definitely not here for a "thank you", though I appreciate it. I really do hope this fella did ok. It's a bad feeling when you know you've been delayed (due to call volume, traffic, etc.), then you arrive to find a patient in really bad shape. We know how bad that looks. Amazingly, sometimes we don't even know that it's been a long delay. The delay may have happened in the phone chain, and once we actually get the call in the ambulance, we have a normal (10 minute max by county contract) response time. The phone chain is frustratingly complicated in some areas. For instance, where I work (Oakland, CA), you call 911 it goes to fire dispatch, assuming the call info is correct, they figure out which Fire Engine responds. At the same time, the fire dispatcher sends the info via computer link to the ambulance dispatcher. Assuming there was no failure in the computer link, the ambulance dispatcher has to find out which ambulance is closest, then dispatch the call via radio and computer to the paramedics. Now, if you call via cell phone, all bets are off for a timely response. Unlike landline phones, there is no automatic system showing where the caller is located. You would be surprised at how many people have no clue where they are! Plus, calling via cell phone, adds an additional link to that chain. Your 911 cell phone call goes to the nearest California Highway Patrol call center (if you're in Cali, of course).
    And yes, people flood the 911 system with incredibly useless calls. I've had people call 911 for stubbed toes, sniffles, and even a nightmare. We are not allowed to refuse these fools a transport to the emergency department. That is why the 911 ambulance system is broken and overloaded. By the way, this is EMS Week! Happy EMS Week!

• Infinitized!

It's incidents like this when its good to have a first aid ticket/certificate. Even if you have a level 1 so you'd know how to perform CPR. But the problem is, they say if you don't have a breathing mask, don't do it or you could be harming yourself.

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

Quote Originally Posted by anziodogface View Post
    I've had people call 911 for stubbed toes, sniffles, and even a nightmare. We are not allowed to refuse these fools a transport to the emergency department. That is why the 911 ambulance system is broken and overloaded. By the way, this is EMS Week! Happy EMS Week!
    Same problem once they get to the ER! I used to work an ER and they are required to see anyone who comes in for any reason. Ever wonder why you went to the ER with a broken arm and had to wait 2 hours? It was because the kid with no health insurance and a cold got there before you. That's also why your health care costs are so high - because the hospital's gotta pay for little Johnny's treatment somehow, and chances are he will never pay his bill sent to the fake address the parents left.

Inside the parks it can be even more confusing. Any land line, payphone or radio automatically connects to Disneyland Communications Center, then they contact on-site first aid, who can then make the call to upgrade to an ambulance. If you call from your cell, it goes to CHP, then back to DL Com and so on and so on. When I hurt my knee at work, my lead called 911 within 2 minutes. 10 minutes later the first aid lady made it to me (not her fault, had to come from very far away pushing a wheelchair and carrying a 40+lb backpack.) She took one look at me and "upgraded" me to an EMT, put in a call, and the EMT got there about 12 minutes later. THEY took one look at me and said they'd have to take me to the ER, and it took another 10 minutes to get me stabilized and on the stretcher and to the van. So there's 36 minutes right there, with a call that went in in less than 2 minutes from it occuring. Point is, there is no physical way for there to magically be a paramedic within 2 minutes of you at all times. Nothing but respect for the medical personel who work their tales off for all of us.

I sincerely hope this gentleman was able to hang on.
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

Isn't that what the portable defibrillator's are for around the park? I know that I've seen one by GRR in CA. Did someone perform CPR or anything prior to the paramedics arrival?

So sorry to hear about the man, and what a troubling thing to witness while on vacation the way so many guests are.

• Mrs. J. Depp

I'm sorry but what happened to the paramedics that work on property??? Half an hour for a possible heart attack case? Wow.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    It's incidents like this when its good to have a first aid ticket/certificate. Even if you have a level 1 so you'd know how to perform CPR. But the problem is, they say if you don't have a breathing mask, don't do it or you could be harming yourself.
    even if you don't have an ambu bag or one-way valve mask you can still perform chest compressions on a pulseless patient and that is better than nothing until a mask or bag does arrive
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Banned User

Yeah thats what the guy who reported the incident asked, was if they had difibulators, or whatever they're called, around anywhere, I'm not sure what they do though

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    I'm sorry but what happened to the paramedics that work on property??? Half an hour for a possible heart attack case? Wow.
    It was my understanding that they've never had on-site paramedics. They have the on-site RNs at First Aid (and they're great, from my personal experience). They do have on-site Fire Department, but I believe they're EMT-basic rated.
    Yes, a place like Downtown Disney should have AED (automatic defibrillators) available. However, even an AED is only effective in a small portion of sudden cardiac arrest.
    Yes, even just chest compressions are better than nothing. Hard and fast. There are even some studies that suggest that just compressions is BETTER. At least where bystander CPR is concerned.
    I think Cali should do what Seattle does. Want your driver's license? Learn CPR.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast