Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1

    • Infinitized!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    5,931

    How about DisneyNature for the Subs?

    I was just reading in one of the other threads postings about people's reaction to the Subs and the Nemo overlay.

    How about a DisneyNature retheme? Would it work? Would it be accepted? Discuss.

    As you know, next year's Earth Day movie is Oceans, and this year's earth had a bunch of footage from the oceans as well. Would projections of real life animals work on this ride?

    I admit, I haven't rode the Nemo subs yet as they were under construction last time I was there, but I have ridden the subs in their original format before they were shut down. If Nemo loses his charm, maybe a DisneyNature retheme might work for the longer run.

  2. #2

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    4,272

    Re: How about DisneyNature for the Subs?

    Umm, yeah no. If they redo it can we go futuristic please?

  3. #3

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    624

    Re: How about DisneyNature for the Subs?

    That would be awesome and totally could be fit into the theme better than nemo. Just imagine, you could be entering a futuristic underwater wildlife research facility that is taking you on a tour of some of the greatest sights of the oceans using groundbreaking submarine technology of the future. Perfect. Nemo? Not futuristic. Cool, but not with the theme.

    Great, great, great, idea.



  4. #4

    • Infinitized!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    5,931

    Re: How about DisneyNature for the Subs?

    Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Umm, yeah no. If they redo it can we go futuristic please?
    If you look at it from an environmentally sustainable point of view, then yes, it could be tied into some sort of "tomorrow" theme. And, it would give Tomorrowland a much needed "educational" attraction, like the ones that got evicted from Tomorrowland to be replaced with Buzz, a Pizza restaurant, and a gold droid.

  5. #5

    •   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Now a WDW Local!
    Posts
    20,520
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: How about DisneyNature for the Subs?

    Sounds kinda boring to me...
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...





  6. #6

    • Mrs. J. Depp
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    4,108

    Re: How about DisneyNature for the Subs?

    I feel like Nemo is completely aimed at children and not in the same way that other rides are. While that is a large group, it's doesn't include everyone. This was such a major attraction in it's day and it takes up such a large space, it's also an earlier attraction and I just feel like it has been demoted big time.


    Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

  7. #7

    • Infinitized!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    5,931

    Re: How about DisneyNature for the Subs?

    Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Sounds kinda boring to me...
    But remember, Disneyland isn't about adrenaline inducing rides, it's about immersive attractions/experiences.

    I was just trying to look at it as if it were from Walt's point of view.

  8. #8

    • =)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,290

    Re: How about DisneyNature for the Subs?

    I'm not a fan of the projection technology in the first place unless it's something that's supposed to look flat and slightly ghostly or unreal. So from a purely practical standpoint, I'd have to say no thank you. Make a strong case for why your idea would actively reinforce a cohesive Tomorrowland theme for decades to come, and you'll have me sold on the idea of the thing.


  9. #9

    • "I Break Things"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,402

    Re: How about DisneyNature for the Subs?

    Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    I feel like Nemo is completely aimed at children and not in the same way that other rides are. While that is a large group, it's doesn't include everyone. This was such a major attraction in it's day and it takes up such a large space, it's also an earlier attraction and I just feel like it has been demoted big time.
    I completely agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I'm not a fan of the projection technology in the first place unless it's something that's supposed to look flat and slightly ghostly or unreal. So from a purely practical standpoint, I'd have to say no thank you. Make a strong case for why your idea would actively reinforce a cohesive Tomorrowland theme for decades to come, and you'll have me sold on the idea of the thing.
    I've read concepts that recommend using the projectors to display schools of "live" moving fish. I honestly don't know how it would look. The ocean still has a vast amount of secrets, but I fear the public is too educated for most effects to be believable. 50 years ago we were barely learning about the ocean. Now we've researched a great deal more and are beginning to probe the deepest depths that have never seen the light of day.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    But remember, Disneyland isn't about adrenaline inducing rides, it's about immersive attractions/experiences.

    I was just trying to look at it as if it were from Walt's point of view.
    I never knew Walt but I benefited from his vision and those alongside him. Through their combined efforts, and creative talents, Disneyland came to be. There are a lot of early attractions that provided a healthy mix of entertainment and education, I believe that is what you were looking for. The problem is that the "nature" theme was present from the Sub's inception to it's first closure. Even if your respective theme is completely different, many Guests would see it as bringing the old Subs back. That would likely have mixed results. I would welcome almost any change away from Nemo, but I would be worried about the Sub's longevity if it returns to a purely nature theme.

    While we're at it can someone toss in a concept for the queue. I'm sorry but several steel switchbacks doesn't really scream "theme".
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"


    "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"


  10. #10

    • keh!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,970

    Re: How about DisneyNature for the Subs?

    i think the approach WDI should have taken w/ the subs is an alien world ocean. they could have created their own sea creatures and say "this is an ocean of an alien planet" just like they created creatures for Journey to the Center of the Earth.

  11. #11

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    624

    Re: How about DisneyNature for the Subs?

    ^They sort of did a similar thing in 2K leagues in DisneySea. Kind of added a fantastical dimension to it.



  12. #12

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    191

    Re: How about DisneyNature for the Subs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flickering Bulb View Post
    i think the approach WDI should have taken w/ the subs is an alien world ocean. they could have created their own sea creatures and say "this is an ocean of an alien planet" just like they created creatures for Journey to the Center of the Earth.
    Europa. The moon of Jupiter with warm saltwater oceans beneath the crust. Very likely harboring life and a place humans will be visiting in the next couple centuries, no doubt with advanced submarines.

  13. #13

    • keh!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,970

    Re: How about DisneyNature for the Subs?

    Quote Originally Posted by RocknGuitar View Post
    ^They sort of did a similar thing in 2K leagues in DisneySea. Kind of added a fantastical dimension to it.
    ah yes, magnificent ride. rode it twice.

  14. #14

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: How about DisneyNature for the Subs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    I was just reading in one of the other threads postings about people's reaction to the Subs and the Nemo overlay.

    How about a DisneyNature retheme? Would it work?
    Good post Barbossa! I could definitely see a submarine voyage to the future -- to a time when humanity has solved global warming, gotten its act together environmentally and is working in and with the oceans to the benefit of both. Intelligent dolphins working with people on underwater farms, building undersea cities in an ocean thriving with life -- perhaps threatened by a submerged volcano. An attraction with elements of education, adventure, thrills... and above all optimism for the future.

    I think the chance that Disney would go in that direction, however, is effectively zero. For years, new or madeover attractions in their domestic theme parks have been purely marketing channels for their film franchises. Nothing that doesn't aggressively promote pre-existing Disney or Pixar toons, or Disney's other film properties, would even be considered.


    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  15. #15

    • keh!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,970

    Re: How about DisneyNature for the Subs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Theophilus Carter View Post
    Europa. The moon of Jupiter with warm saltwater oceans beneath the crust. Very likely harboring life and a place humans will be visiting in the next couple centuries, no doubt with advanced submarines.
    yeah, there you go, is it Europa that moon whose surface expands releasing water then freezes over.... then repeats the cycle again?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Disneynature to plant a tree for every viewer of "Earth"
    By Dustysage in forum MiceAge Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-26-2009, 09:19 PM
  2. Disneynature EARTH - In theaters Earth Day 2009.
    By MasterGracey in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-15-2009, 03:46 PM
  3. DisneyNature
    By drumbum67 in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-01-2008, 07:09 PM
  4. 04-22-08 Disneynature to Debut Earth: Earth Day 09
    By Kilted Norwegian in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-23-2008, 06:06 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-21-2008, 04:23 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •