• Gots a Rythem in my head!

Cool I Stumbled! (a trip report to not that far)

Well I saw a picture of something quite familiar to you guys over at DCA.
    I cried from getting my town (sort of) Recongnised!
    So this is a fun little trip outside of disneyland parks and into my own home town to let you learn a bit more about the little link between my home town and DCA.

Here we start at DCA the California Zephyr.
    Lets get a close up of that Logo.

now lets see whats the link?

Behold The Feather River!
    The great Link!

on a side note Oroville CA is also home to Oroville Dam Tallest dam in the USA and Fills the Fether River Canyon with Lake Oroville.
    this is where the water supply to Southern CA comes from (enjoy a taste of Oroville from Disneyland for FREE!)

Here we see a Real Western Pacific Engine notice it says The Feather River Route.

This is an Old Western Pacific engine In a park by the old Railroad Station in Oroville.

And Lastly the Oroville Deopot where the California Zephyr made regular stops untill 1972.
    Unfortunatly....
    Western Pacific was bought out by Western Union and oficialy stoped using Oroville as a train stop except for cargo at a Round House a few miles out of town.
    The Depot was sold to an entrepenure and is now a restraunt and Micro brewery.
    And Lastly...
    The train you saw in the park is Rotting away while young people break the glass and steal parts off of it.
    However next time you go to Disneyland and walk into DCA stop at the california zephyr and look at the nose of the engine and remember..
    The Feather River Route once stoped at a small town and the feather river and the canyon that the train once wound through is in Oroville the smallest town reprisented in DCA at all.
    I am Scary Scott,
    Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
    I am Scary Scott, The Steampunk, Brony, Werewolf, Author of Northern California!
    Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
    Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
    Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
    Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

• no flash photography...

Re: I Stumbled! (a trip report to not that far)

I think it's really cool you found something in the park form your hometown and I enjoyed learning about it.

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

I've walked past that train, in DCA, I don't know how many times and never really thought about it. Thanks for the education! Very cool.

I learned something new today, the day wasn't wasted. Thanks for sharing that little bit of information with us.

•   
    • Disneyland History Lover

Very interesting story... thank you for sharing. I hadn't even thought that the train had any true meaning behind it. In fact I didn't even realize it was an actual train that had been retired... I thought it was simply a decorative re-creation of a similar train. Cool to know it's the real deal.

• Collision speed....FULL!

^^Well, it isn't really the real deal. It's real locomotive (part of it) and very similar, but not THE real thing. WP 805-A is restored and operational, not at Disney.

http://web.mac.com/rcolton/The_Blue_...ia_Zephyr.html
    The locomotive recreates a General Motors FP-7 diesel electric locomotive that was one of four used by the Western Pacific between Oakland and Salt Lake City. And appropriately, it is numbered for the 804-A, the locomotive that led the last CZ to arrive in Oakland on the WP on March 22nd, 1970.

The locomotive at Disney? Well, hereís a bit of theatrical magic. What you see isnít a complete locomotive. Disney found the cab of a locomotive in a scrap yard in the midwest and used it as the front of itís Zephyr. Hereís a view of it arriving in Anaheim. With apologies to photographer, I donít know who you are.

Overall, the reproduction is a very credible one. Compare it to the real thing - the WP 805-A (now restored and operational) at the Western Pacific Railroad Museum in Portola, California - in this view courtesy of Eugene Vicknair of the WPRM.

Heh I Saw the real 804 A at portola its a few miles from here I even climbed up into the cab and honked the horn!
    I am Scary Scott,
    Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
    I am Scary Scott, The Steampunk, Brony, Werewolf, Author of Northern California!
    Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
    Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
    Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)

• Embrace the kitsch!

On a related note (related in that it also refers to a part of the Gold Country represented in DCA) there's also a stretch of road in DCA that's labeled as Highway 49. Well, Highway 49 is a real highway and part of it runs about 5 miles from my house. It's called the Golden Chain Highway because it runs through the entire Gold Country from Nevada City down to Yosemite (about 200 miles!).
    So does anyone know which river is shown in the rafting scene in "Soarin' Over California"? I'd swear it's the American River (which also runs right through the Gold Country), but I think it could also be the Feather River or the Russian River.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    On a related note (related in that it also refers to a part of the Gold Country represented in DCA) there's also a stretch of road in DCA that's labeled as Highway 49. Well, Highway 49 is a real highway and part of it runs about 5 miles from my house. It's called the Golden Chain Highway because it runs through the entire Gold Country from Nevada City down to Yosemite (about 200 miles!).
    So does anyone know which river is shown in the rafting scene in "Soarin' Over California"? I'd swear it's the American River (which also runs right through the Gold Country), but I think it could also be the Feather River or the Russian River.
    I belive its the american river.
    I am Scary Scott,

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Scary Scott View Post
    I belive its the american river.
    Yes, we know it's an American river, but which American river? (begin Abbott and Costello routine )

Also, one more joke...

Another connection: Isn't the popcorn at DCA provided by Oroville Redenbacher?
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

The opening credits say Redwood Creek.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
    The opening credits say Redwood Creek.
    Thanks, but now I'm wondering why it looked familiar at all. I've never been to Humboldt.

Opening credits? What opening credits?
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Minion

Thanks, but now I'm wondering why it looked familiar at all. I've never been to Humboldt.

Opening credits? What opening credits?

I think they might mean the city names that fly through the clouds on the little screen, before Patrick the flight attendant gives you the safety instructions and you enter the "hangar".
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

Quote Originally Posted by animagusurreal View Post
    I think they might mean the city names that fly through the clouds on the little screen, before Patrick the flight attendant gives you the safety instructions and you enter the "hangar".
    Yep those are the opening credits I was referring to.
    Gotta love Patrick, "Nice work pal"

wow I cant belive how many people have seen this little post!
    maybe I should do another TR if I go anywhere.
    I am Scary Scott,