Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39
  1. #1

    • Disney aficionado
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,190

    Animation Academy! What would you change?

    The Animation Academy I rarely here any talk about. So let's start a little discussion:
    For those of you newbies, Animation Acadmey is in DCA and houses a lot of interesting things including Turtle Talk with crush, a model library like in beauty and the beast, and a large screening room filled with scenes from classic Disney animated features.

    What do you guys like in the Animation Academy?

    What would you change to make it better?

  2. #2

    • Dream in wonderful color!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,899

    Re: Animation Academy! What would you change?

    I wouldn't change anything. It's perfect the way it is It's one of the best attractions DCA has to offer

  3. #3

    • Disney aficionado
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,190

    Re: Animation Academy! What would you change?

    well I never been there! so what's so great about it!?

  4. #4

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,154

    Re: Animation Academy! What would you change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yackerz View Post
    well I never been there! so what's so great about it!?
    You'll find out when you go. You'll tell us what you think afterward.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  5. #5

    • Disney aficionado
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,190

    Re: Animation Academy! What would you change?

    hehe I can't wait .. i saw some videos on the animation academy.. thats about it. hehe. I also just saw some amazing photos of the grand californian. Anyone want to upgrade me to the grand californian hotel J/k

  6. #6

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    515

    Re: Animation Academy! What would you change?

    I LOVE THAT PLACE! It's the only place I look forward to seeing when I go to DCA . Also, since I want to be an animator someday, that place is like heavan to me.

  7. #7

    •   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Now a WDW Local!
    Posts
    20,520
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Animation Academy! What would you change?

    I'd take out the drawing thing. Not sure what I'd put in its place... maybe rotating exhibits, like the Snow White one that was in the lobby.

    Otherwise, its perfect

    Oh no, maybe I'd add a few more benches too
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...





  8. #8

    • For You!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Idaho Falls
    Posts
    7,704

    Re: Animation Academy! What would you change?

    My kids love the animation drawing lessons - They plan their day around the time their going to teach certain characters. They got so excited after their first visit, they (my boys and husband) bought 10 Disney How To Draw Books.

    It's a great place.

    Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

  9. #9

    • All-American
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,924

    Re: Animation Academy! What would you change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yackerz View Post
    well I never been there! so what's so great about it!?
    If you've never been... then I would recommend just sitting in the lobby for a while and watching all of the walls... maybe save the Animation Academy for when you're tired from walking. But those walls brought some of the most inexplicably magical moments from DCA, no joke. The Mulan scene in particular, with all of its art and music, made me go

  10. #10

    • keh!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,970

    Re: Animation Academy! What would you change?

    the area where the zoetrope is, i would change all the glass cases and fill them w/ behind the scene pieces from their animated films. models, sketches, early concepts, characters that didn't make. i don't like the fact that they use one giant case to advertise "bolt" or "Up" it's interesting for about 10 seconds to the average tourist, give them something with detail to look at. i think they were all filled w/ stuff when it first opened, i don't quite remember. and when the zoetrope gets going it's too dark to read anything, light each case a bit.

  11. #11

    • Park Lover
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    178

    Re: Animation Academy! What would you change?

    Isn't Animation Academy just the drawing class?

    I think you mean the whole Animation building though right?

    As for Animation Academy, I would ask that they switch up the characters you draw. For the past year, when I have stopped in it's been Jack Skellington. I would like to learn a different character.
    My Disneyland After Dark Flickr set!
    My Disneyland Flickr set!
    My Walt Disney World Flickr set!

  12. #12

    • =)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,290

    Re: Animation Academy! What would you change?

    I must admit, when it comes to the animation building, I don't understand the draw - no pun intended. I mean, I guess it's pretty cool, but there are a lot of things in the resort that I'd rather be doing at any given point in time.


  13. #13

    • Storyteller
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    365

    Re: Animation Academy! What would you change?

    I love that place. The main room with the animation projections is simply amazing and I love going into the Sorcerer's Workshop and participating in all the activities. Turtle Talk with Crush is great fun too. I haven't been in the section where they teach you to draw yet, I'll have to stop in there next week.

  14. #14

    • Legends never die...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    20 Mins. from the DLR
    Posts
    267

    Re: Animation Academy! What would you change?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    If you've never been... then I would recommend just sitting in the lobby for a while and watching all of the walls... maybe save the Animation Academy for when you're tired from walking. But those walls brought some of the most inexplicably magical moments from DCA, no joke. The Mulan scene in particular, with all of its art and music, made me go
    A note to everyone: GREAT place to propose! (Especially the Happy Ever After Ending of the video loop)

    Quote Originally Posted by Flickering Bulb View Post
    the area where the zoetrope is, i would change all the glass cases and fill them w/ behind the scene pieces from their animated films. models, sketches, early concepts, characters that didn't make. i don't like the fact that they use one giant case to advertise "bolt" or "Up" it's interesting for about 10 seconds to the average tourist, give them something with detail to look at. i think they were all filled w/ stuff when it first opened, i don't quite remember. and when the zoetrope gets going it's too dark to read anything, light each case a bit.
    They used to do that, including maquettes of what some famous characters ALMOST looked like, things like that. Of course its money over mind alot of times now a days, so the ads took over. Although the Toy Story "zoetrope" is awesome.

    Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I must admit, when it comes to the animation building, I don't understand the draw - no pun intended. I mean, I guess it's pretty cool, but there are a lot of things in the resort that I'd rather be doing at any given point in time.
    True, it doesn't have much repeatability, but I know you have an interest in the technical side of things. Isn't it fun to look at the fixtures and projectors, especially in- my favorite room- the Beast's Library? Pretty cool themeing stuff for something so simple. But you've probably exhausted that pursuit so I may be preaching to the choir.
    My Inspirations:
    Thurl Ravenscroft and Paul Frees
    AND
    Robert and Richard Sherman

  15. #15

    • we jumped out a window
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    18,343

    Re: Animation Academy! What would you change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel- View Post
    Isn't Animation Academy just the drawing class?

    I think you mean the whole Animation building though right?

    As for Animation Academy, I would ask that they switch up the characters you draw. For the past year, when I have stopped in it's been Jack Skellington. I would like to learn a different character.
    They have a character rotation so I guess you just luck out and get Skellington every time. Besides Jack, I've drawn Mickey, Donald, Pooh.

    I wouldn't change a thing in there!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Animation Academy Characters?
    By brenden in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-23-2009, 04:45 PM
  2. Animation Academy
    By 5hr drive in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-15-2007, 11:29 PM
  3. DCA's Animation Academy update 5/10/07
    By ALIASd in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-10-2007, 05:33 PM
  4. Animation Academy
    By bubbubble4 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-06-2005, 09:37 PM
  5. Animation Academy now sketching....
    By ALIASd in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-12-2005, 05:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •