Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• =)

Re: Where is the pier in Paradise Pier?

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Paradise Pier" is more of a boardwalk (ala Santa Cruz Boardwalk) than a pier. The easy solution would be to just change the name to Paradise Boardwalk.
    But, as I said before, it lacks some pretty fundamental boardwalk qualities, as well. (This is coming from a guy who's fairly familiar with the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.) Boardwalks generally have beach between them and the water - Paradise Pier sits right on where the land meets the sea, looking rather like a pier that runs parallel to the land instead of perpendicular to it. It just...doesn't feel right. It's in a weird, ineffective limbo between pierdom and boardwalkitude. If Disney just couldn't resist the off-the-shelf possibilities here, I wish they'd at least chosen one or the other!

• Not a Minion

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    The concpet wasn't flawed... the execution was! Sorry to rant but I have a difficult time finding the fun seaside pier in Paradise Pier.
    So agree with that one. I sure hope WDI is listening to you because I think you've got the right idea to fix up the boardwalk area (and the rest of the park).

• Member; Mousketeer

I could keep going but these alone make the point. WDI managed to display over a hundred years of Boardwalk all jumbled together. I'm not sure if they deserve a prize for "biggest thematic blunder" or what. They have since decided to go with a Victorian theme but already it likely won't work... per WDI it is "budget cuts" but the point is the whole area isn't getting the treatment. We already know Triton has been cut, along with Fun Wheel's queue and likely Screamin's queue as well. The Victorian theme will be left for TSMM and Boardwalk Games to support for the time being...

Sorry to rant but I have a difficult time finding the fun seaside pier in Paradise Pier.
    I agree.

This goes back to some of the
    project's budgets for the pier
    being "re-allocated" to other
    parts of the park.

The pier will seem to be
    suffering from an identity crises
    even when the project concludes
    in 2012 just by the attractions and
    rides you mentioned.

• "I Break Things"

This will likely derail the thread but here is a thought. A proper Victorian theme would not be cheap. Victorian "gingerbread" design in general has a massive amount of detail. It is possible to give Paradise Pier the Victorian overlay, but again it wouldn't be cheap.

A major detail many on here suggested was old style ticket booths at each attraction. On top of the booths would be a standard (flag) that had the logo of the specific attraction. This was also in some of the concept artwork (chicken vs egg... both parties likely developed the ticket book concept at the same time). I was saddened to see that this detail, and a queue retheme, was not included in the Fun Wheel overlay. Something as simple as ticket booths would tie all the attractions together as one land and further support the Victorian theme and architecture.

Another issue is the stark contrast in modern and Victorian designs. There are a couple threads on here where it is discuss it in further detail. The main point is that WDI made a half-hearted attempt to make Screamin look like a woody, then used a modern paint scheme on the trains. They made an effort to do a Victorian sun design on the wheel, then added minimal detail to the cars. They make this beautiful carousel, then stash it in a modern lean-to pavillion.

The thing is Victorian is really an "all or nothing" sort of deal. Either the details are there and it supports the theme, or the details aren't there and the theme disappears. The ride choice is something many take issue with. Personally I take more issue with the presentation then the actual choice. Anything can be dressed up, how it looks is just as important as how it rides.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

The best idea I ever heard was one proposed by Baloo who suggested that WDI retheme the Parade and possibly TSMM show buildings behind Screamin' to ships ala TDS. That would provide both a berm to that side of the park as well as provide the illusion of water behind the pier. I think that would be very effective.

• Senior Minion

^I really like that idea too. It's a tight fit back there, but I think WDI could make it work.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I think my problem with Paradise Pier is that they allowed it to take over too much of DCA's property. It should remain on one side of the lake... not encircle it.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineerfan View Post
    The best idea I ever heard was one proposed by Baloo who suggested that WDI retheme the Parade and possibly TSMM show buildings behind Screamin' to ships ala TDS. That would provide both a berm to that side of the park as well as provide the illusion of water behind the pier. I think that would be very effective.
    3 very specific attractions that I think would help are

Bumper Cars- sorry it's a Sea-Side Boardwalk... the only actual bumper car there is a display at a store!

Swinging Dragon- Talk about a perfect character tie-in... design a swinging Dragon and use Pete or Mushu as the actual Dragon itself! I would personally recommend Pete but it's up for debate.

Fun House- There is something about a Fun House with the funny mirrors etc that screams Boardwalk. I have no clue why TSMM didn't bother to exploit this comical phenomenon. I can see an Omnimover based attraction taking you through a Fun House designed by Disney. We saw what they did with the typical "haunted house" imagine what they could do with a "fun house". This would also be an opportunity to place the Disney Villains in a really fun attraction... a haunted fun house... that would be interesting!

• Hakuna Matata!

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I can easily forgive that particular omission. Wouldn't mind some recorded seagull sounds playing as background tracks, though - can't remember if they're doing that already.
    pipe in smells of the ocean.... expecially since there's no water right now. lol

• "I Break Things"

When Seagulls prefer the parking lot over Paradise Pier I think it is safe to say the illusion isn't believable.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Fun House- There is something about a Fun House with the funny mirrors etc that screams Boardwalk. I have no clue why TSMM didn't bother to exploit this comical phenomenon. I can see an Omnimover based attraction taking you through a Fun House designed by Disney. We saw what they did with the typical "haunted house" imagine what they could do with a "fun house". This would also be an opportunity to place the Disney Villains in a really fun attraction... a haunted fun house... that would be interesting!

I'm all for a Disney Fun house... but I think Omnimovers are a little bit over-used in the land, especially if Little Mermaid is getting them. In another thread I put my bid in for the trackless vehicles found in Tokyo's Pooh Ride to add to the "fun".

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Senior Minion

I agree, a funhouse would be a great addition. I'd also really like to see some type of nod to a tunnel of love or shoot the shoots. DCA could really use a flume based attraction and a tunnel of love is a classic boardwalk ride as well.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Disneyland History Lover

The pier would have been much more believable if there were inaccessible sandy areas from about the Orange Stinger to about where the Paradies Pier "billboards" are located. It could have been decorated with seaweed and starfish and other features typical of a beach. If they'd gone further they could have built wave machines into the "ocean" so that waves would wash up to the beach. It's done in theme park swimming pools quite often. No reason they couldn't have made the Pier this way. And then the water could be more of an oceanic blue color instead of the murky green that it typically is. Plus... I realize sometimes seagulls are in the area, but it's rare. They could have installed a repetitive track that plays the sounds of seagulls squawking and waves crashing to add to the atmosphere. Extend the wooden boardwalk area all the way around and you've got a much more believable Paradise Pier.

So yes... the concept is pretty much in place, but the way they went about executing it really let's the whole thing down.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    The pier would have been much more believable if there were inaccessible sandy areas from about the Orange Stinger to about where the Paradies Pier "billboards" are located. It could have been decorated with seaweed and starfish and other features typical of a beach. If they'd gone further they could have built wave machines into the "ocean" so that waves would wash up to the beach. It's done in theme park swimming pools quite often. No reason they couldn't have made the Pier this way. And then the water could be more of an oceanic blue color instead of the murky green that it typically is. Plus... I realize sometimes seagulls are in the area, but it's rare. They could have installed a repetitive track that plays the sounds of seagulls squawking and waves crashing to add to the atmosphere. Extend the wooden boardwalk area all the way around and you've got a much more believable Paradise Pier.

So yes... the concept is pretty much in place, but the way they went about executing it really let's the whole thing down.
    They do have a wave machine... and as to the sand there was some concern about the wind blowing sand everywhere. Also the park is home to a large population of feral cats... so a big sandbox wasn't something Disney wanted to try. But they could always go with fake sand landscaping which would solve both problems.

Something else to note is that Paradise Pier should really be split up into 2 areas (it already naturally is). Part of it should be the pier, the other part is the seaside beach. The wood, or fake wood, should only encompass the pier portion of the land. The other portion should resemble a beach path with umbrellas, surfboards, chairs etc. along the way. I also mentioned a while back that if they held a professional sand castle competition every summer it would likely draw in the crowds. I'm not sure how many people have seen these things but they aren't your standard run of the mill bucket o'sand castles... These are huge sculptures created by teams specifically for competition. Nothing says "Summer" and "Beach" like a sand castle competition.

Another thing I don't understand is Goofy's Sky Skool... we have a Victorian seaside boardwalk theme. We have Little Mermaid to reinforce that theme. So now WDI wants to toss in an airplane ride... a plane... in a beach theme... good job! What really bothers me is that one of the most popular Goofy cartoons involves surfing... as in surfing on a surfboard near a beach in the ocean wearing a classic bathing suit... but WDI wants an airplane... thanks guys way to support the theme of the land!

• Member; Mousketeer

3 very specific attractions that I think would help are

Bumper Cars- sorry it's a Sea-Side Boardwalk... the only actual bumper car there is a display at a store!
    I was surprised that the pier
    didn't have such a ride like
    the one you mentioned.

This is essentially what
    every seaside pier has.

This attraction would certainly
    be a great welcome. And can be
    easily themed such as featuring
    Chip and Dale.

Swinging Dragon- Talk about a perfect character tie-in... design a swinging Dragon and use Pete or Mushu as the actual Dragon itself! I would personally recommend Pete but it's up for debate.
    This is another idea that
    would be forthcoming as well.
    I'd go with Pete the Dragon
    considering the that the film's
    time period and theme is closer
    to what the pier is trying to portray.

I began a thread about such
    an idea like this several weeks ago
    and many of us on Micechat would
    prefer to have a fun house type
    attraction featuring the Disney
    villains.

Another thing I don't understand is Goofy's Sky Skool... we have a Victorian seaside boardwalk theme. We have Little Mermaid to reinforce that theme. So now WDI wants to toss in an airplane ride... a plane... in a beach theme... good job! What really bothers me is that one of the most popular Goofy cartoons involves surfing... as in surfing on a surfboard near a beach in the ocean wearing a classic bathing suit... but WDI wants an airplane... thanks guys way to support the theme of the land!
    I am with you on this one
    as well. This does not make
    any sense what so ever.

How do notions and decisions
    like these go un-noticed
    or passed?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast