Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Where is the pier in Paradise Pier?

Plant some brids of paradise and call it done.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    I like the ideas of a Fun House dark ride and Bumper Cars (though don't they have a small version of that at FFF and won't Luigi's Tire thingy be a little too similar?)
    Luigi's I don't overly care about because it's a long ways off. Bugsland has bumper cars and that is part of the issue. The other issue is that even if they did install bumper cars they would safety the crap out of them and slow them down to a practical standstill (all major amusement/theme parks have done this!) But to be honest, it doesn't really feel like a Boardwalk without Bumper Cars!

but where would you put them?
    That really depends on how creative the armchair imagineers want to be. I am certain they can come up with all sorts of maps explaining how to lay things out (not my area).

Now that they're putting a wood pier/boardwalk on the north end of the bay for WoC, the theme of a pier gets even more convoluted. We've got boardwalks nearly surrounding a lake - where's the pier?!?!
    I'm not a big North/South kind of person but here's my thought. From the Paradise Pier entrance near Pacific Wharf, all the way to the end of Screamin should be one long wood (or if you prefer fake wood) pier type floor. At the end of Screamin they should have an identical marquee stating that it is "Paradise Pier"... this would specifically define the "pier" section. The rest of the land should be a combination of palm trees, fake sand (or real sand if you aren't worried about cats/blowing sand) and terranced stone. There are outdoor theaters that can be found at many beaches and all of them are terranced concrete (which I thought was what World of Color was using). The entire area that isn't wood would be the Beach/Fun Zone thereby creating the illusion of a beach side Boardwalk and an actual Pier (that technically wraps around). I also agree they need some beach area (sand, fake sand, take your pick) and some crashing waves would be nice (although not sure if they can because of Screamin). But there you go.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• "I Break Things"

I know someone is probably going to point out that Maliboomer is anything but Victorian... and it is. But with a little creativity (I said little this is WDI we are talking about so I'm being nice) and some proper funding it can be made to look Victorian. The entire Victorian period was an age of thinking, an age of invention, an age of machinery... discovery... steam... electricity. Given the amount of inventions and machinery created in that time it would be pretty simple to retheme Maliboomer as some sort of new invention. If they need a "something goes horribly wrong" approach then it is a steam powered viewing platform that has recently opened to offer views of the surrounding scenery... for a price. Problem is it tends to run out of steam and plummet back to the earth below... randomly... until the steam kicks back in and you go back up! My point is that they can pull this off with a minimal amount of effort. I find it hard to believe that the creative minds of WDI haven't already thought about it... then again they're putting an airplane next to a mermaid so never mind.

---------- Edit for Clairificaion ----------

Some time ago I posted a concept of Maliboomer. With a little digging it could probably be dredged up. The main thought is to turn it into some sort of either lighthouse or clock tower (give it a reason to be there). The actual structure and riding mechanism would overall remain the same... just a removal of the current tarps and a repaint of the entire structure. The entire look should be of some strange elaborate mechanical invention (think Eiffel Tower with steam piping inside). With a minimal amount of detail, paint, a new top (lighthouse or clock take your pick) and rethemed queue you can easily make it fit.
    Last edited by techskip; 05-27-2009 at 06:19 PM.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I find it hard to believe that the creative minds of WDI haven't already thought about it... then again they're putting an airplane next to a mermaid so never mind.
    Hey, there are airplanes and (fake) mermaids in California! It fits! And once they add them to Paradise Pier, there'll be an amusement park in California that has airplanes and mermaids right next to each other, so it'll be even more thematically perfect! It's supposed to resemble a California amusement park, right?

^^^ Maybe I'm having deja vu (again) but didn't we talk about a recursive park a year ago? Or is this just a self-fulfilling prophecy?

• Senior Minion

I agree Tech, that's basically how I always envisioned what they were trying to accomplish, but the design just didn't quite fully communicate that vision to the casual guest. That's why I like the idea of the ship or ships south of Screamin' to give that impression that they are docked at the back side of the pier. I think if they had made a beach from the Zephyr to the SS Swings that would have been enough beach. Then you'd have the boardwalk section along the WoC viewing area, then the beach section, and the pier basically where Screamin' is. I also think that if you had to cross a bridge over the water between the Swings and Maliboomer and the water seemed to continue off stage it would really make the pier section feel more like it was fully over the water. I also think some rocky cliffs strategically placed and some more bolders around certain edges of the bay could also help complete this vision much more effectively. My only concern is that I don't really like the idea of no trees being on this whole pier area. It would be more thematically convincing, but much less attractive and comfortable, and PP needs all the shade it can get.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• =)

Maybe I'm having deja vu (again) but didn't we talk about a recursive park a year ago? Or is this just a self-fulfilling prophecy?
    I don't think I recall that discussion. Unless you mean every discussion of Paradise Pier that's ever taken place, that is!

Uncle Bob... but you've got that pesky problem of the pier near Ariel's Grotto. Is that the pier or is it the section near Screamin'? That's the crux of my original question.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    My only concern is that I don't really like the idea of no trees being on this whole pier area. It would be more thematically convincing, but much less attractive and comfortable, and PP needs all the shade it can get.
    They managed to create shade on all the other piers without the aid of trees... it can be done...

As to the ships, I am not big on ships because I think it would make it look even worse then it already does. Just from a "scale" perspective it seems odd. Then you wonder why ships would dock at a seaside boardwalk instead of the wharf across the way...

• Senior Minion

I disagree about the ease of which Maliboomer could be rethemed. Certainly something could be done to make it fit better, but it's not really easy to attach new theming to that tower. There are a lot of major engineering hurdles that would have to be faced and you'd be very limited in the amount of weight you could add to the tower or the ride vehicles. The attachments would be difficult, the nature of the ride motion would not all you to cantalever members off the tower to wrap it easily. Basically, you could strip the tower so it looks even more industrial, repaint, add a new top, and some theming at the ground. Anything more would and I bet you're getting into amounts of money that start making a total replacement start looking much more attractive.
    -Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Uncle Bob... but you've got that pesky problem of the pier near Ariel's Grotto. Is that the pier or is it the section near Screamin'? That's the crux of my original question.
    Well, that area basically sucks, and I really don't know how to fix it. (At least not without spending a small fortune.) I've always thought the odd way the bay and the wharf come together was kind of strange and doesn't make a whole lot of sense. That said, I think the idea is that the pier section would start at Ariel's and that the path down is also a curving pier along the lines of the rainbow one Tech was describing earlier. It's kind of a Wharf to pier transitional area, which I guess could kind of work, but again, in this case it didn't. I just hate how you can see the two themes basically slamming into each other at an odd angle right behind the former Chinese restaurant. I also don't like the parade building back there or seeing so much of Anaheim beyond in that area. That whole area is a mess that I don't think will ever be truely fixed.
    -Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    They managed to create shade on all the other piers without the aid of trees... it can be done...

As to the ships, I am not big on ships because I think it would make it look even worse then it already does. Just from a "scale" perspective it seems odd. Then you wonder why ships would dock at a seaside boardwalk instead of the wharf across the way...
    Well, in real life ships are often too big to dock in small wharf areas. Maybe it's a big late 20's cruise ship that's anchored just beyond the pier. I think it would look amazing, one piece that would completely make the whole place feel more real. The lack of watercraft in DCA is really one its more disappointing theming aspects to me.
    -Walt Disney

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Now that they're putting a wood pier/boardwalk on the north end of the bay for WoC, the theme of a pier gets even more convoluted. We've got boardwalks nearly surrounding a lake - where's the pier?!?!
    The key is making the lake look like an ocean -- something Disney failed miserably at. All the Victorian archetecture and wood flooring cannot save the fact that Paradise Lagoon looks like a huge swimming pool. Add elements to make the body of water look like a true beach and they can actually be quite flexible with the archetectural styles and visual themes they put in there.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I disagree about the ease of which Maliboomer could be rethemed.
    I edited my initial post to offer a more detailed explanation of a previous concept. The actual tower, and vehicles would remain unchanged... new top (lighthouse or clock) and new paint job/themed queue. What I meant to suggest (and later edited to be more specific) is the ease and minimal effort with which it could be transformed if WDI wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    The key is making the lake look like an ocean -- something Disney failed miserably at. All the Victorian architecture and wood flooring cannot save the fact that Paradise Lagoon looks like a huge swimming pool. Add elements to make the body of water look like a true beach and they can actually be quite flexible with the architectural styles and visual themes they put in there.
    Disney had a habit of picking specific time periods and then romanticizing their respective "heyday". From a boardwalk standpoint that would be Late Victorian era... But you're right as long as they get the basics (sand and surf) the rest would fall into place.
    Last edited by techskip; 05-27-2009 at 06:27 PM.

Someone mentioned a while back in the DCA Project tracker that a new parade building would be built east of Cars Land. Presumably the one near the Screamin' queue could then be removed. Then either Cars Land gets a little more space or there's more backstage area. In any case, that curvy "pierwalk", with its additional height, creates a sightline mess that could only be blocked with trees, which you don't find on piers or a big ole ocean painted backdrop. I dunno. I dislike that area as well.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast