Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Where is the pier in Paradise Pier?

Where is the pier in Paradise Pier and where does it begin/end?

If the area of TLM and MM is considered the "land", then as you walk along the west side of the bay, are you walking out on to the pier? Is the boardwalk area in front of TSMM considered part of the pier?

What if you're coming from the Wharf side - as you pass by Ariel's Grotto and continue along the boardwalk, it feels more like a traditional pier, since you end up high overlooking the water.

But then where does the pier end?

Or am I just overanalyzing this whole thing and there is no actual pier, just a boardwalk?

Re: Where is the pier in Paradise Pier?

I'd be very interested in hearing the answers to this.

I do not spend much time at DCA, so I have no idea.

• =)

It's tempting to offer some sardonic denunciation of the attitudes behind Paradise Pier, but I think I'm gonna resist. Instead, I'll just say that I find this to be one of the land's subtler flaws, but a flaw that definitely shouldn't have happened nonetheless. I do indeed think you're overanalyzing this...in the sense that you're analyzing it more than Disney wants you to, not more than you should.

The heart of the problem you're talking about is that Paradise Pier is built around a very obviously enclosed body of water. There's an immediate sense that you can't possibly be at a seaside pier or boardwalk because you can easily see how to walk all the way around the entire sea.

The area around Ariel's Grotto is pretty pier-like, but then it quickly becomes confused. The pier curves, for starters. Piers don't do that, to my knowledge. Furthermore, one side of the pier is apparently on land, running parallel to the coastline - there are palm trees right there. But on the other side, it's a drop to the water below. How insanely steep is this beach?! Well, it's not very steep over by Screamin'. In fact, there's a very flat, sandy area with palm trees over there. Then comes the artificial surface we're walking on, which again features a bit of a drop to the water level. The beach that the boardwalk - er, pier, sorry - is built on seems to be shaped rather like a cliff made of sand.

Paradise Pier doesn't run straight and perpendicular to the coastline like a pier, nor does it run parallel to the coastline a ways up the beach like a boardwalk. It's in a weird limbo between the two. And it doesn't even pull off that limbo all that convincingly because the walking surface doesn't look like it's made of wooden boards, as it would be for a boardwalk or pier. Obviously, real wooden boards would be a rather poor choice for safety and durability reasons, but the Indy queue proves that it's quite possible to convincingly simulate wooden boards with more hardy materials.

• "I Break Things"

Sidenote; it is possible for a pier to curve by design... for example Rainbow Pier... other then that I agree with Data
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• =)

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info!

• Lego Peoplemover Priit

Cool Re: Where is the pier in Paradise Pier?

Don't question it, just love it. Or in a couple of years love it.

• Senior Monorail Minion

I don't think I'll ever love it...
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Ah, I see. Thanks for the info!
    to be technical the "rainbow" part of Rainbow pier was actually a road constructed in part to look like a pier... but the point is it can be done. The real issue is that it isn't very smart to do... one good storm can take it out without even trying (which if I remember my history is what happened in Long Beach).

• =)

Yeah, gotta have a good breakwater. And even then...curved shapes are not characteristic of piers. But I'd accept it...if the pier went out into the water the way piers actually do, instead of snaking along next to it!

• Infinitized!

If it's a pier, where's all the seagulls and all the seagull poop? Even the seagulls must be confused, and don't poop there.

• =)

I can easily forgive that particular omission. Wouldn't mind some recorded seagull sounds playing as background tracks, though - can't remember if they're doing that already.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    I don't think I'll ever love it...
    I would be more inclined to enjoy it if WDI had paid a great deal more attention to the details. There are a myriad of "little details" that combined would have greatly enhanced the whole theme. When I think of the stories of the great boardwalks during their heydays... then I look at Paradise Pier... all I can do is shake my head. To say they missed the mark... from a target shooting standpoint the shot didn't even hit paper! Having a wood or fake wood pier wouldn't really help unless everything around it supported the feel of a boardwalk pier.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Having a wood or fake wood pier wouldn't really help unless everything around it supported the feel of a boardwalk pier.
    Certainly. One little fix won't do much. It'd have to be the cumulative results of lots of little things being done right that would lead to the whole thing feeling right.

• Minion

Paradise Pier doesn't run straight and perpendicular to the coastline like a pier, nor does it run parallel to the coastline a ways up the beach like a boardwalk. It's in a weird limbo between the two. And it doesn't even pull off that limbo all that convincingly because the walking surface doesn't look like it's made of wooden boards, as it would be for a boardwalk or pier. Obviously, real wooden boards would be a rather poor choice for safety and durability reasons, but the Indy queue proves that it's quite possible to convincingly simulate wooden boards with more hardy materials.

Paradise Pier" is more of a boardwalk (ala Santa Cruz Boardwalk) than a pier. The easy solution would be to just change the name to Paradise Boardwalk.

• "I Break Things"

Certainly. One little fix won't do much. It'd have to be the cumulative results of lots of little things being done right that would lead to the whole thing feeling right.
    A great step in the right direction would be to figure out what time period they want to present (as in romantic version not period specific historically accurate). The same could be said of Tomorrowland...

• Screamin has it's late 50's/early 60's theme. If you don't believe me check out the 57 Chevy fins on the fastpass machines and the retro "space age" queue architecture. Not to mention the classic movie style marquee...

• Triton's building looks like a reject from a 1970's mall

• TSMM and the new Boardwalk Games look like a page out of a Victorian history book

• Maliboomer looks like a 1990 thrill ride

• Fun Wheel looks like a ride right out of the state fair complete with concrete bunker.

I could keep going but these alone make the point. WDI managed to display over a hundred years of Boardwalk all jumbled together. I'm not sure if they deserve a prize for "biggest thematic blunder" or what. They have since decided to go with a Victorian theme but already it likely won't work... per WDI it is "budget cuts" but the point is the whole area isn't getting the treatment. We already know Triton has been cut, along with Fun Wheel's queue and likely Screamin's queue as well. The Victorian theme will be left for TSMM and Boardwalk Games to support for the time being...

For those who claim it was a flawed concept from the start I would say it is no more flawed then any concept in Disneyland. It was meant to depict a fun and exciting time. The concpet wasn't flawed... the execution was! Sorry to rant but I have a difficult time finding the fun seaside pier in Paradise Pier.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast