Thread: Jazz in NOS

Jazz in NOS

does anyone remember when their would be live bands in NOS playing on the balconies and throwing beads down? do they still do this? what is the name of the famous desserts that are like pastries over there? I just love love love new orleans square.

• Still Dizzy

Re: Jazz in NOS

Quote Originally Posted by wonton View Post
    does anyone remember when their would be live bands in NOS playing on the balconies and throwing beads down? do they still do this? what is the name of the famous desserts that are like pastries over there? I just love love love new orleans square.
    I know the desserts question...they are called beignets and they are awesome. Though I've never actually had the disneyland ones.

• no flash photography...

The last time I was there they were singing on the stage in the french market. the female singer was asking people what they were celebrating and giving them beads.

They perform at the Fantasmic viewing terrace near the French Market patio around 1pm or maybe 1:30. It's a good show: there's audience participation, beads, the works. Good fun. I think there's another show later on too sometimes.

• Storyteller

NOS has such a romantic atmosphere, it's a fabulous area. Does anyone know how often they have jazz bands playing on the balcony in BB? I was there once when a band was playing and it added so much to the atmosphere. Since then, I've had no luck. Are there certain days/times they do it?

• DL Obsessed

I do really enjoy the area of NOS, especially since when you enter, you feel like your in a completely different place. Even though its open, you have this vibe that its miles away.

I guess thats what Disneyland/Walt does best.

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    The last time I was there they were singing on the stage in the french market. the female singer was asking people what they were celebrating and giving them beads.
    i was there too!...
    my heart is yours

• Closed Account

The Jambalaya Jazz Band {full Dixieland group} and The Royal Street Bachelors {trio} are the only ones playing these days and I am sure they play on the balconies every other shift or so to throw beads down..{probably on weekends only while Queenie is singing with them} and there are more people in attendance.

• "The Musical Quil"

^^^
    The bands I've seen have been setting up on the street nearing the exit of Pirates where the street opens to the ROA. It can be a little tight sometimes but it's really nice. I haven't seen them on the Balconies in a while.

my mom snatched beads for the whole family some lady was doing tug of war with my mom, but obviouslty my mom lol good times... how can you not love NOS? i mean it is by far the best land, but the best ride is Indiana jones

• I make the Jungle tremble

Ah, beignets. The ones in New Orleans Square are delightful, but would be better if they had the proper ratio of sugar -- probably far more than any parent would want to see going into their child at any one time. That is to say, the beignets shouldn't be so easily seen, and they should be using genuine cane sugar.

Oh, and I have only seen a band on that balcony in the Blue Bayou, but that was over a decade ago. Time and distance have decreased my frequency of Disneyland visits, but I still eat at the Blue Bayou every time I visit. Maybe I just always dine at the wrong time?

Ditto on the band on the balconies. Haven't seen that in ages either. These days, I usually see Queenie saunter down the stairs, and the band is playing at the foot of the stairs while tossing out beads. I also caught them in Angel's Court, before it came yet another retail space.

Hey does anybody remember the solo sax player that used to roam around?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I think Queenie and the band stopped going up to the balcony after the Art Gallery was turned into the Dream Suits. I was up there a couple years ago when Queenie popped in and did her spiel from the balcony. At that point, she would sing from the balcony and the guys in the band would play from the stairs leading to the Art Gallery.

I haven't seen Queenie up there since the Dream Suite went in.

The band has been setting up next between the French Market and the HM, at least on Fridays, and I think they kick things off between 10-11 AM. I could be wrong, but I think Queenie has been limited to the French Market stage for the past few months.

And I'll second what Le Saboteur said about beignets. When we visited New Orleans several years ago, the beignets and the jazz were superb. In fact, all of the food was superb. The extra 10 pounds when we came home....not so much.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 05-28-2009 at 05:57 AM.

i know i sound like a nube but who is Queenie? Wasnt there a great pastry place in NOS but was closed down? I love Blue Bayou too but the last time i went the food was not that great though and the menu was plain. I hope it has changed since then because i am going in July

Queenie is the the singer who performs with the Bachelors. We just had our first experience with them over lunch at the French Market last week. Really enjoyed the show, and they were really sweet to our three year old when she joined them onstage with all the others celebrating that day. She's still wearing her beads! Will definitely be planning lunch around their show again.

BTW - Forgot to take a photo of the performance "schedule" they have posted next to the stage, which I found amusing. Anyone have one?

wat about the menu has it changed the past year or two at BB?