• FastPass n00b

World of Color song request

I hope the World of Color stays around for decades and becomes a classic institution like the Main Street Electrical Parade and Fantasmic! have become at Disneyland, but I fear that they might overlook the best song for the attraction due to the fact that it came out in 1977 and has been largely forgotten since then.

I know Pete's Dragon is pre-Disney Renaissance and I'm sure it's as unfamiliar to kids today as Tom Sawyer, but there is a song in it called "Candle on the Water" which is filled with a very emotional and heart-wrenching quality with its lyrics of hope and faith. I grew up with Pete's Dragon and it is still one of my favorite movies of all time. That song always bored me as a kid and I always fast-forwarded it, but over the decades it's really brought a whole other spin on the movie seeing it from an adult's perspective. It's basically about hope where there is no hope and trusting that even when things look bleak, you can always rely on faith to pull you through.

Anyway, it's very slow and it'd be perfect to break up the undoubtly fast-paced and vibrant scenes that will no doubt fill the beginning and ending. It would be the "Princess Barge" section of the show in other words. If they set that song to 200-foot high fountains and colored water, I would pay full admission to DCA just to see that one scene!

My gosh Disney, PLEASE do not overlook that relatively dark period in-between the Walt era and the Disney Renaissance era. I'm sure they can leave "The Black Hole" and "Tron" back in that era, but "Candle on the Water" is such a hidden gem that has been *severely* overlooked since it came out, especially with something as perfect as a water show!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: World of Color song request

I must say it's not often that we see a post praising something Helen Reddy was involved with, being praised on this board.

I liked the movie, athlonacon, and I liked some of Helen Reddy's better tunes. This wasn't one of my favorites, but they could make worse choices.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    I know Pete's Dragon is pre-Disney Renaissance and I'm sure it's as unfamiliar to kids today as Tom Sawyer, but there is a song in it called "Candle on the Water" which is filled with a very emotional and heart-wrenching quality with its lyrics of hope and faith. I grew up with Pete's Dragon...
    Pete's Dragon is getting a new DVD release in a few months: Pete's Dragon High-Flying Edition, coming out on August 18 to replace the Gold Collection one that's currently out. So, maybe some kids will now become familiar with it.

• Hakuna Matata!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    So, maybe some kids will now become familiar with it.
    Let's Hope so! it's a great movie! Everyone should have a RAZZLE-DAZZLE DAY ontop of a lighthouse!! lol

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

While we're on the subject of lesser-known songs we love, I <3 "The Age of Not Believing" from Bedknobs and Broomsticks (which I otherwise am not a huge fan of.
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• Storyteller

I love the heck out of Pete's Dragon. I grew up with it also and would love for that song to be in there. Something tells me it won't be very likely though - no one really talks about it anymore. Although they do have them in the Electrical Parade... who knows.

some songs really stays in your heart no matter how boring others or you might think.. lol
    just do what you think...

• (Not a) New User

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    My gosh Disney, PLEASE do not overlook that relatively dark period in-between the Walt era and the Disney Renaissance era. I'm sure they can leave "The Black Hole" and "Tron" back in that era, but "Candle on the Water" is such a hidden gem that has been *severely* overlooked since it came out, especially with something as perfect as a water show!
    I've never heard of The Black Hole. What other movies has no one told me about?

My Twitter! CardfightrHuntr

• Mouseketeer

I think Candle on the Water has a decent chance of being included in WoC. It was nominated for an Academy Award back in the day and many recognize the song without remembering Pete's Dragon.

Is this a general WoC song request thread? If so, I vote for the Spectrum Song.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Oh... I would love love if Candle on the Water was included!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Jeanne, like the lamp!

im not a fan of the song (though my husband makes me listen haha) but i LOVE the movie

and they lived happily ever after

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

I would personally love a brand new, original song. Fantasmic would not be the same without that classic theme music. World of color deserves the same treatment.
    Ohhai!