Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Space Mountain Expert

5-day passport - ethical question

Hey all,
    I'm wondering what the policy is on using someone else's 5-day passport to get into the Park.
    Here's the scenario. Some friends are going down in August and they are buying 5 day passports. They are planning on going into the parks for 3 days. Then, they are planning on giving the remaining two days to some of their friends.
    No, I'm not one of them I'm an annual pass holder. But, they asked me because they always come to me with any Disney questions.
    Can they pass along their passports to their friends for the last 2 days?
    I honestly didn't know what to tell them. Ethically, I'd say no, but they are more concerned with Disney policy.
    Any help is appreciated.
    I only hope we never lose sight of one thing... that it was all started by a mouse!

the world of disneyking

• Rock Star Minion

Re: 5-day passport - ethical question

disney policy is written on the passes. It will say that they are not transferable.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Hakuna Matata!

we used a few 2-fer tickets from someone else. we weren't questioned at all. do the 5day passports have names on them? will they check IDs?

• Space Mountain Expert

Quote Originally Posted by ERIN92345 View Post
    we used a few 2-fer tickets from someone else. we weren't questioned at all. do the 5day passports have names on them? will they check IDs?
    I guess that's my real question. I don't know because my wife and I have annuals. It's been way too long since I've bought a 5-day passport.

Thanks for the replies
    I only hope we never lose sight of one thing... that it was all started by a mouse!

the world of disneyking

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ERIN92345 View Post
    "Will they"? Maybe. Can they? Certainly.
    Ones bought on the internet, in plain view of Disney lurkers? More likely.

I don't think they care all that much, at the moment. Current mentality is that they've been paid for, and someone not using them means no one buying inside the park.
    It's the wrong mentality if someone was otherwise going to buy tickets to enter the park. Company loses that money, which is a lot more than the net income on stuff bought in the park.

Thing is, if more people do this, too much money is lost, and Disney will start putting names on the passes. WDW has some better security that could be applied here.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

For the record,

MiceChat does not in any way condone going against Disney's ticketing policy.

• Space Mountain Expert

understand and thanks again. I will tell my friends that they really should just buy their own passes.

the world of disneyking

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I looked up the ticket terms and then called Disney ticketing to ask their advice on interpreting.

The fine print specifically says that you can not transfer for commercial purposes. But can you give a ticket away? I called Disney tickets at (714) 781-4400 to find out. They said NO. Tickets should not be transferred and that the original user is supposed to write their name on the ticket.

Applicable theme park, days and times of operation and all other elements including, but not limited to, operation of attractions, entertainment, stores and restaurants and appearances of characters may vary and are subject to change without notice. Subject to capacity and other restrictions. Tickets may not be sold or transferred for commercial use. Offer may not be combined with any other ticket offer, discount, or promotion. All offers, events, tickets, age ranges, services, attractions and entertainment may be seasonal and are subject to change without notice. Ticket products, price and entitlements available online may be different than the Box Office.
    And that seems to be the answer. Disney doesn't want you to transfer the tickets. If you have any question, please call: (714) 781-4400

Thanks everyone!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Space Mountain Expert

Thanks, Dusty. And thanks all of you! I can always count on my MiceChat family to help me out with ?'s I have no answers for.

the world of disneyking

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    disney policy is written on the passes. It will say that they are not transferable.
    I agree and that is what it says so the answer is NO you are not supposed to final. However Disney sure does not go out of it's way to stop it. At WDW they do. Not sure why one park it's overlooked and at the other it's strictly enforced. I think they should enforce it at DL. I get so angry at some of the offers to "rent" tickets that I see on ebay. "I give you the ticket you use it for X # of days then I come in and get it on your last day and sell the remaining days to some other person" I don't know why Disney doesn't do a "sting" and S T O P!! this.
    Janette

• =)

Seems pretty clear that Disney's policy is indeed against this. Ethically, though, I don't see anything wrong with it. Disney is still getting its money for five days of fun in the park, with each pass only getting one person in at a time. Practically speaking, there's no downside for anyone.

• Sock Puppet

Ethically, the fine folks at Disney still made their money whether the ticket is used by the original purchaser for the entire 5 days or by the recipient of the partially used pass. Either way, Disney still made their money.

No harm, no foul...

In fact, as mentioned, Disney will make MORE money if the pass is handed off to someone else to use up the balance of it.

So since Disney will end up making more money if it is given to someone else to use up, then that idea could be considered a good thing.

In the overall scheme of things (even around here) plenty of info is shared which could be interpreted as "going against Disney's policy". In fact, I'd be willing to bet that some folks would be more upset at the flash photography on POTC than someone giving away the balance of their passport.

The idea of letting someone else finish up an unused passport should be very low on the list of things to worry about...

• Minion

Doesn't that biometric gizmo make any difference? If the ticket is matched up to the fingerprint or whatever it does?
    I want my cake back!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seenoevil View Post
    Doesn't that biometric gizmo make any difference? If the ticket is matched up to the fingerprint or whatever it does?
    That's only at Disney World. These are Disneyland tickets.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Disney is still getting its money for five days of fun in the park.
    While that's true on one level, one five day ticket costs about $200. However, if the person going for three days and the person going for two each bought the appropriate ticket instead of sharing, that'd be about $325, combined, which is a significant difference.

So while it's not like that would break the bank for Disney, I can certainly see why they don't want people doing it. People who only go for one or two days pay the most for tickets anyway, so Disney loses the most on tickets shared for 'just' one or two days.
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast