Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• DL Obsessed

Re: main street train station questions

Very awesome. Every time i go to Disneyland, i have always wanted to take an entire trip around the trains. I did it a little bit last time, but most other people dont get as excited as me.

Im not a big train buff but the fact that it WAS Walt's favorite, and is basically a BIG reason why Disneyland is even around today (it was Walt's first "toy" in his own back yard), it is really cool to see it and when i go in July, i am DEFINATLY going to take a ride in the Lilly Belle.

I just wait in line at the Main St. Station and then ask to ride the Lilly Belle correct? Now im 22, so im not some cute kid, will i still have no problem?

• Miracle:(n) Kings win Cup

Thousand Oaks, Staples Center, Disneyland

DLRR is a noble position in attractions. I've always dreamed of working the railroad at DL, and when I was going to school, I almost transferred down from Ventura County area just to follow that possibility. There are those crisp, overcast mornings today where I stop and think, "these are the days I can imagine standing off the side of a coach car, doing the 'DLRR wave' over IASW, and enjoying the thick, cool air flowing across my face." I envy you conductors. How sick is it that you get to ride around the park all day on historic and inspirational masterpieces? Nighttime with the night sounds, the lights, and the crisp air, have me wishing I could work the DLRR one day. Oh well, there's always retirement.

• "Roast Duck"

In regards to Lilly Belle or Tender Rides, both must be inquired of at Main Street Station and are full round trips:

Tender Rides: up to the discretion of the Engineer/Fireman. If they have to take on water or blow down the engine, no rides may be taken. Water is taken about once an hour and blow downs occur every other trip. Must be round trip because none of the other stations have concrete platforms extending to the Engine

Lilly Belle: depends if there is an available conductor to give a tour.

Again these must be inquired of at Main Street...many times you could wait a while if engine is not available or no conductors are around, so be patient. :-)
    Went to a party the other night
    All the ladies were treating me right
    Moving my feet to the disco beat
    How in the world could I keep my seat
    All of a sudden I began to change
    I was on the dance floor acting strange
    Flapping my arms I began to cluck
    Look at me..I'm the disco duck

"Do the Disco Duck!!!"

• Collision speed....FULL!

^Tender rides are also determined if either the C.K. Holliday or the E.P. Ripley are out for the day, since they are the only two engines equipped with a tender seat.

I really liked the old block system, simple, very easy to understand, and it worked reliable and flawlessly for almost 50 years. It was a case of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. I remember the first few weeks when they installed the system in 2004 they had problems left and right (I think they still do!).

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Mr. Duck, this has been really interesting - thanks! I have a question about a conductor's use of the PA system on the trains. I know that there are messages that you have to give, and sometimes when things change you will jump in and override the recording so that guests don't hear bad info. But every once in a while, a conductor seems to confuse the trains with the Jungle Cruise, and start into a patter filled with jokes and anecdotes, and basically (for me) ruin the vibe of riding the train and listening to the recording (of course that recording was much more valuable in the Thurl Ravenscroft days, but the current one is just fine). Is this behavior OK within your department policies, or is this a CM getting carried away? I've wanted to have a word with a conductor CM more than once about this. I know he (or she) is trying to make the experience more fun for the guest, but they are doing so at the expense of a very special atmosphere that's already in place. Just wondering.

• Closed Account

Great info, Disco Duck! Thanks for posting such detailed responses.

As many others have said Thanks Disco Duck - you made this post really interesting.

• "Roast Duck"

haha...we don't encourage using Jungle jokes...some do, it's kind of annoying.

Really the only thing we are required to say on the PA is our safety spiels inside each of the four station...other than that, we are really not required to say anything else, unless we have to spiel if someone stands up or something.

Right after you pass the Indian on the horse at the Rivers of America, we have the longest break in the auto spiel, so we encourage conductors to spiel about any park info that is relevant- closing times, shows and attractions.

Some of us sometimes interrupt the auto spiel as we are approaching the station in order to remind guests of remaining in their seats and also to interest them to the area, so it gets people moving on and off the trains. We generally try to find good break points in the auto spiel, so we don't interrupt it in a mid-sentence.
    Went to a party the other night
    All the ladies were treating me right
    Moving my feet to the disco beat
    How in the world could I keep my seat
    All of a sudden I began to change
    I was on the dance floor acting strange
    Flapping my arms I began to cluck
    Look at me..I'm the disco duck

"Do the Disco Duck!!!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12