Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Long Beach DisneySea / "Flash Flood Gulch" and "Tremble & Quake Lake" Waterparks

Things very well could come full circle with repect to Long Beach becoming home to a Disney theme park. Should the famous strawberry farm property (formerly owned by the Fujishige family) off Harber (just south of Katella) prove not not to be large enough for the size and scope TDA and WDI might have in mind for a future third DLR theme park, they just might focus their attention on Long Beach again. The likelihood of this occuring would be even greater if they become ambitious enough to go with a full-fledged park on the order of Tokyo DisneySea.

The former plans for Port Disney pale in comparison to what Tokyo DisneySea has become in actuality.

The notion of Port Disney was. nevertheless, the precursor to TDS...which would likely have never seen the light of day had this not been the case.

Traveling by automobile, the distance between Anaheim and Long beach is approximately 27 miles. According to Map Quest, the trek by automobile would take around 35 minutes. As Long Beach DisneySea would be a part of the disneyland Resort, this would represent the first time that a resort theme was located this far away from the main resort area...and the first time that one would be located in a separate city.

Still, there is are no rules that mandate for things to always be done the same exact way. Plus, Disney could reduce a good deal of the travel time
    by extending the Monorail route between the two cities. Personally speaking, I would enjoy the new scenic adventure...urban though it may be. LOL! It is logical to project that the Monorail would mainly travel alongside CA-91 and I-710.

As for the strawberry farm property annex, I'm thinking that it would be the perfect place for a grand waterpark. At one time, both a third theme park and new waterpark were rumored in conjunction with one another. Doubt that TDA and WDI would desire to clone WDW's Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach. Disney has come up with the idea of a Lava Lagoon name for a Polynesian themed waterpark. However, rumor has it that this park is planned as an indoor waterpark for Disneyland Paris.

So, I'm conjecturing that the Disneyland Resort would receive an exciting theme in line with a natural catastrophic phenomena in nature. With this in mind, California is predominently known for it's earthquakes and flash floods. In line with this, Flash Flood Gulch or Tremble and Quake Lake are possible Disney waterpark names/themes that would fill the bill.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Long Beach DisneySea / "Flash Flood Gulch" and "Tremble & Quake Lake" Waterparks

A waterpark in Anaheim -- no thanks. It would have to be closed for half of the year.

And a monorail from Anaheim to Long Beach wouldn't work either. Caltrans would likely have to sunsidize part of it, and the people effected by this line would protest it. Not only that but it might have to travel through some fairly run-down areas, which Disney wouldn't want to expose its guests to.

And building a theme park on or near the ocean is an impossibility these days with all the regulations and limitations the California Coastal Commission would place on the project. And it would be unpopular with many locals who would be concerned about the envirnmental impact.

• Senior Minion

Re: Long Beach DisneySea / "Flash Flood Gulch" and "Tremble & Quake Lake" Waterparks

I think using the strawberry farm for a water park would be a huge mistake unless they simply can't get permission from Anaheim to build a full fledged theme park on the land. While I can't say nothing will ever happen in Long Beach for sure, I seriously doubt anything will happen. With the cruise lines going to Port of LA it really doesn't seem like Disney and Long Beach have the best working relationship and I doubt the coastal commision will ever approve that much landfill. I think the smaller size of the strawberry field could actually be a good thing in that it will be a smaller investment at one time to bring really quality theming to the park when it's first built. I also think a water park should be built at DLR though, I just would make it a little smaller and put it in the Simba lot probably.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    A waterpark in Anaheim -- no thanks. It would have to be closed for half of the year.

And a monorail from Anaheim to Long Beach wouldn't work either. Caltrans would likely have to sunsidize part of it, and the people effected by this line would protest it. Not only that but it might have to travel through some fairly run-down areas, which Disney wouldn't want to expose its guests to.

And building a theme park on or near the ocean is an impossibility these days with all the regulations and limitations the California Coastal Commission would place on the project. And it would be unpopular with many locals who would be concerned about the envirnmental impact.
    I think it would be a good idea for DLR to get a half-indoor water park to make it operable year round. Not that it would be a huge appeal to me, but I think it would be smart to have that offering at the resort for families that really like water parks. I think building it in Simba would be really appealing to DLH and PPH guests too.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

What? You've never heard of wetsuits?

Besides, June Gloom isn't that bad.

• Banned User

Not gonna lie, I have no interest in a water park near Disneyland. I'd much rather see the property used for something more inventive.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I think it would be a good idea for DLR to get a half-indoor water park to make it operable year round. Not that it would be a huge appeal to me, but I think it would be smart to have that offering at the resort for families that really like water parks. I think building it in Simba would be really appealing to DLH and PPH guests too.
    This is why I mentioned in Post 1 that Disneyland paris is rumored to be planning an indoor waterpark. In order to be year round, DLR would be wise to make any waterpark project that they undertake patially or fully indoors.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    This is why I mentioned in Post 1 that Disneyland paris is rumored to be planning an indoor waterpark. In order to be year round, DLR would be wise to make any waterpark project that they undertake patially or fully indoors.
    I agree, and I think when planning a vacation a lot of families would be like, oh wow, DLR has a water park now, and that could put them over the top in their decision to visit and possibly to stay on property as well. I also think a indoor portion would be soemthing that would totally put it over the top (Of course hopefully the theming would do that too) vs the So Cal competition. I just think that big beautiful strawberry field is a fantastic oportunity for a theme park, which would be an even bigger draw then a water park. I wouldn't want that land used for anything else.
    -Walt Disney

• HauntedOne999

Pseronally I think WDI should have pushed for DisneySea in Long Beach when it was leasing the Queen Mary. Disney really helped the QM and since it dropped the lease the attraction has really gone down hill.

As for a waterpark... I would prefer DLR not to have one Soak City is enough for the area.

I really would like to see the 3rd gate be on the lines of Disney's America... Western River Expedition could play a big part. Its the perfect 3rd gate idea to tie the whole resort together.
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

I wonder where they would put it. The New Pike has taken over the place that it would have gone. I'm also sure the Port of Long Beach would have something to say about it. As it stands right now, LB has some of the most polluted beaches in the state as a result of the breakwater that the PoLB does not want taken down.

The Aquarium of the Pacific has its own purification plant, but it is nowhere near the size a waterpark would need.

• Iron-Clad Allie

As Uncle Bob has suggested, an indoor waterpark (partially or fully) could be built. I also respectfully argue that it would not be impossible to build a monorail rail system (or even an electric rail tram, such as the one at TDS) between Anaheim and Long Beach, while averting slummy eyesores (thru inginuity one way or another).

As California (and the nation) needs all of the business revenue it can get, regulations (regardless of where they come from) would not be insurmountable. Long Beach remains a possibility.

That said, I've also made created a recent thread where I discussed the notion that a DisneySea park and waterpark both be built on a combination of the strawberry farm land and additional Anaheim Resort Area land (even if buildings currently exist on it) that can be converted. This is the route I would actually like to see the Disneyland resort go. I'm just suggestiong Long Beach as an alternative.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Alpoe001 View Post
    Pseronally I think WDI should have pushed for DisneySea in Long Beach when it was leasing the Queen Mary. Disney really helped the QM and since it dropped the lease the attraction has really gone down hill.

As for a waterpark... I would prefer DLR not to have one Soak City is enough for the area.

I really would like to see the 3rd gate be on the lines of Disney's America... Western River Expedition could play a big part. Its the perfect 3rd gate idea to tie the whole resort together.
    Um, they did push for Port Disney when they owned the QM. What do you think Ride Warrior's OP was about? The project was rejected by Coastal Commision as it would likely be again if Disney ever brought back the idea.

In regard to Disney's America, I really don't like that idea. DL is an America themed park, DCA celebrates the western US and has some elements of the original DA design too. Isn't that enough America theme for one resort? Anything that could contextually fit with WRE could also fit in Frontierland or Grizzly peak. This makes no sense and would be very creatively limiting.
    -Walt Disney

• Iron-Clad Allie

I agree, and I think when planning a vacation a lot of families would be like, oh wow, DLR has a water park now, and that could put them over the top in their decision to visit and possibly to stay on property as well. I also think a indoor portion would be soemthing that would totally put it over the top (Of course hopefully the theming would do that too) vs the So Cal competition. I just think that big beautiful strawberry field is a fantastic oportunity for a theme park, which would be an even bigger draw then a water park. I wouldn't want that land used for anything else.
    Yes indeed. A waterpark would be a major step in establishing more of a national and international perception of the Disneyland resort as a multinational vacation destination. There are always obstacles to overcome concerning any worthwhile undertaking. Defiant optomism rather than defeatism has always been a crucial driving force behind any business venture dream that has been successfully realized.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Um, they did push for Port Disney when they owned the QM. What do you think Ride Warrior's OP was about? The project was rejected by Coastal Commision as it would likely be again if Disney ever brought back the idea.

In regard to Disney's America, I really don't like that idea. DL is an America themed park, DCA celebrates the western US and has some elements of the original DA design too. Isn't that enough America theme for one resort? Anything that could contextually fit with WRE could also fit in Frontierland or Grizzly peak. This makes no sense and would be very creatively limiting.
    Disney's America is too limited, thematically. Looks far better on paper than it would be to experience. This is because the Disneyland Resort, WDW and even the foreign parks are already filled with attractions that pay tribute to the America of today and yesteryear.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Dopey's Girl View Post
    What? You've never heard of wetsuits?

Besides, June Gloom isn't that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    Not gonna lie, I have no interest in a water park near Disneyland. I'd much rather see the property used for something more inventive.
    My primary interest is in line with yours. Between the choice of placing a full-on theme park on the strawberry farm property or a waterpark...of course I'd rather see a theme park built. I'd also prefer a theme park be located there thab in Long Beach. But, I would rather have both a theme park and a waterpark on the Anaheim Reart area property...if at all possible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast