Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: What is/will be/should be the symbol for DCA?

There is no way they can make the Carthay become a significant icon. that is like trying to pass the OFF The Page building as a park icon.

There is nothing iconic enough about it to become a Disney park icon.

There is one in WDS and noone realy even notices it.

• A Weather Eye Open

I quite like the Grizzly Peak logo but I can see that they might want a change to emphasize the park's makeover and improvements. I thin part of makes Disneyland's lands so strong is their mostly period-based themes. The Golden State area would be much more interesting in a gold rush context, with an emphasis of California's nature and what was here when most of the people living here were American Indians and smalltime settlers.

I agree that somehow the Paradise Pier skyline has become the most iconic view in the park,a nd the most iconic land. I think it's just because it's kind of photogenic... so pretty when the lights come on at twilight and such. It will look even better with the new Victorian buildings and details, and HOPEFULLY the rest of the park will look so great and photograph really well in their new time periods so that any icon they choose will stick around in people's minds.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post

That made me feel guilty. But I must say, it was really Disney's fault for building the thing in the first place, and for making Paradise Pier one of DCA's few memorable vistas.
    no, I'm not trying to make you feel guilty (unless you are paul pressler or michael eisner, or one of the people who encourage them to move forward with a carney theme.)

But I do disagree. Paradise Pier is NOT one of DCA's memorable vistas. Paradise Pier is what has made DCA look like any other run of the mill amusement park (read: NOT theme park) It cannot be iconic if it's ordinary and lackluster, and NOTHING is being done to CA Screamin' to make it period worthy or dressier than something at Knott's, Six Flags, or a state or county fair roller coaster.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    Ok I see your point. The wheel is a bit undisney even though it has the mouse on it. If the bear stays then they should market it better. What one mostly sees is the wheel and coaster on the net.
    Yes they should market it better, it has the Best views in all of DCA, the waterfalls, the geyers, the cute walkwalk that goes up close to one of the falls. Really, they haven't marketed DCA by itself since before DCA opened. And that was just a bunch of characters looking over the berm from DL, to see what was going on in the old parking lot. Really, I don't expect DCA to ever be marketed separate and apart from DL. They are just going to market the new attractions at they open.

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    This was actually a marketing decision. The initial goal of DCA was to appeal to a teen/young adult thrill seeking demographic. So they hyped Screamin, and due to proximity/visibility the Fun Wheel. Even after the switch was made to make DCA more "kid friendly" they continued to focus on Screamin. The reason is that Screamin is the largest unique attraction in DCA. GRR, while nice, is a mountain and Disneyland has several mountains. Disneyland doesn't have anything even close to Screamin so it became "the icon" by default.
    yeah market the build on the cheap, and cram in the off the shelf rides. Wasn't that the problem with DCA out of the starting gate? Screamin has only been the icon for Paradise Pier, along with the Ferris Wheel. Paradise Pier the Pierless, Boardwalkless, Oceanless, Seaside amusement area, without the smell of the seaside.

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    I quite like the Grizzly Peak logo but I can see that they might want a change to emphasize the park's makeover and improvements. I thin part of makes Disneyland's lands so strong is their mostly period-based themes. The Golden State area would be much more interesting in a gold rush context, with an emphasis of California's nature and what was here when most of the people living here were American Indians and smalltime settlers.

I agree that somehow the Paradise Pier skyline has become the most iconic view in the park,a nd the most iconic land. I think it's just because it's kind of photogenic... so pretty when the lights come on at twilight and such. It will look even better with the new Victorian buildings and details, and HOPEFULLY the rest of the park will look so great and photograph really well in their new time periods so that any icon they choose will stick around in people's minds.
    Yes, DCA is critically lacking a convincing Other time period, other than the hip and edgy here and now. Although GRR does do a nice job of setting a naturalistic atmosphere, and Condor Flats does take you to a desert air strip. And the gold mining would be a fun theme to carry in a major attraction. Many have suggested that a Western River Expedition Gold Rush to 1849 San Francisco could be a "New Orleans Square" of DCA. Even with Little Mermaid and Radiator Springs, DCA will CONTINUE to be void of the AA attraction is so desperately needs, which incorporates realist people aa's, like Haunted Mansion and Pirates does for New Orleans Square and ALL of DL. THAT is the type of attraction that Disney is best known for, and what guests EXPECT when they go to a Disney theme park. Until DCA get's that kind of elaborate attraction, DCA will ALWAYS be considered the Evil Step Sister.

Ariel and RS will bring some of the missing Fantasyland type elements, that DCA does need, BUT where is DCA's "Haunted Mansion"? Where is DCA's "Pirates"?

ugh, off track a little. let me put it this way. . . . . . Paradise Pier's roller coaster and ferris wheel are too oridinary looking to be the theme of DCA, that's what they are trying to get away from. choosing something that looks like what everyone else has? why even go there then?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Gutted View Post
    Hasn't Grizzly river run always been the icon?

With the Sun Wheel behind it! And now it's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    There is no way they can make the Carthay become a significant icon. that is like trying to pass the OFF The Page building as a park icon.

Well, the reason for that is because the Carthay Theater in WDS is not a full scale replica. It's a downsized after thought on the side of the street.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

DCA is doomed. It will never become the one day destination that its neighbor Disneyland has become. I think they are just to darn close together.

• Returning to DL 2/29

Well has anyone seen the maps around the walls in Paradise Pier if you see the corner there is a logo saying Disney's California Adventure also it is too soon to think about the Icon with all the construction who know maybe the bear stays but they have pretty left poor grizzly in the dark.
    I'm back and now what!

followme on Twiiter @hurricanefreak

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by crazyguy7965 View Post
    DCA is doomed. It will never become the one day destination that its neighbor Disneyland has become. I think they are just to darn close together.
    It will likely always be bundled with Disneyland. I doubt people will go specifically to go to DCA. Most likely people will either stay at the resort and eventually dedicate 1 day to DCA, or they will purchase park hoppers.

What it really boils down to is a combination of space, and attractions. DCA right now has a lot of space, Disneyland has a lot of attractions. The retheming may look great, but it's the attractions that DCA really needs (don't get me wrong theme is an issue). The reason I say this is that there aren't a lot of attractions there to begin with. The more DCA has that people can do, want to do, and want to come back for... the more it will become a one day park instead of a half day park. TLM will take them a step in that direction, Carsland (horrible name) will give them more attractions as well. Right now it needs to be a combination of upgrading what they have and putting in a lot more.

Overall Disneyland is the "belle of the ball". Disneyland is the internationally recognized tourist trap. DCA simply rides on the coat tails as an added "bonus". That role may never change. But if they make enough additions then DCA may become a full day park.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by crazyguy7965 View Post
    Doomed? I hardly think so. I don't think they would be spending over a billion dollars on a park that is doomed. Do you really think Disney will care that people are not buying DCA-only tickets if they are selling over a million APs and close to 20 million hopper tickets each year as well as maintaining low vacancy in their hotels?

In any case, I think DCA's numbers will start to improve once it's fixed. They made tons of mistakes with the park, but they've commited to do what's needed to redeem it. The public has already expressed enormous excitement about the project witnessed by the strong and positive response to the Blue Sky Cellar and the positive response from the media and the fan community about the project in general.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    They made tons of mistakes with the park, but they've committed to do what's needed to redeem it. The public has already expressed enormous excitement about the project witnessed by the strong and positive response to the Blue Sky Cellar and the positive response from the media and the fan community about the project in general.
    They've made commitments in the past and then backtracked with budget cuts. For me the jury is out as to how effective the 1 Billion makeover will be. As I said dressing it up is nice, but they need more attractions overall, not just better looking ones.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    They've made commitments in the past and then backtracked with budget cuts. For me the jury is out as to how effective the 1 Billion makeover will be. As I said dressing it up is nice, but they need more attractions overall, not just better looking ones.
    I agree, this project will not bring all the attractions that DCA needs, but it will get the park to the point of being a much more attractive place to spend time and add a few solid attractions. It's really just establishing more of a solid foundation that more can be built on. We can debate on and on about how effective the project will be, and of course we cannot be sure that Disney won't cut the budget. But I really think that this is a serious commitment to improve the park which I don't think they are likely to pull back on.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    We can debate on and on about how effective the project will be, and of course we cannot be sure that Disney won't cut the budget. But I really think that this is a serious commitment to improve the park which I don't think they are likely to pull back on.
    According to everything I have read, Paradise Pier has already seen a wave of budget cuts... and Paradise Pier's role was just a "touch up" in the overall grand plans... as I said jury's out.

• Senior Minion

Of course the jury is still out, not much is done and WDI could totally squander this amazing opportunity and the huge amounts of money they've been allocated. I don't think this will happen, but they have been given a lot of money and if they cannot deliver, they need to seriously look at laying off most of the department and restructuring IMO. I don't know what's going on internally with the budget. I don't think any of us really do, so the best we can do is judge the final outcome as a team effort of TWDC.

I also don't completely believe the rumors about PP budget cuts, I think it's mostly fans trying to justify in their minds the lack of more improvements to PP, which honestly probably just never made it into the plans because they would have completely blown the budget, not because they were cut. If you've heard that these rumors are true from a reliable source, I would believe it. But nobody I trust and know has some insider info has said that rumor is true.
    -Walt Disney

• Launch sequence engaged

I think Grizzly Peak is a great mountain, and a great choice for DCA's icon, but why is it facing away from guests entering the park? I mean, maybe guests entering the park can see the bear from a better angle, but to me, DCA's major icon is turning its back on park guests (You can argue the same for Disneyland's castle, which was designed with the back serving the "front," but I believe that to be a different case).

I only hope that they can attempt a mining theme with GRR and implement some more guest interaction with Grizzly Peak (Coheteboy's idea for walkways is solid, and something Disney really should have considered.) I would have preferred a challenge trail to be implemented around and on Grizzly Peak, freeing up the Redwood Challenge Course for a Humphrey the Bear national park ride using an omnimover system.

Grizzly Peak should remain the icon though. It's much better than Disney Hollywood Studios' icon.
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~ Homer Simpson

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post

Sorry' but Disney has confirmed it will be the park icon.

• Not here to help

To be honest I don´t think a park like that can be fixed. What they should do is to build something unique to that park. No more clones no more simple solutions that wont cut it in the end. Something that makes people say "we have to go to DCA and ride the **** ". A thing like that would set the park aside from all other parks and give it a life of it´s own.
    The way it will end up is most likely that it will always be the younger sister with the bad genes. That is why an icon is important for a park like DCA. Disney will not spend the money needed to build something that changes the soul of the park, the will just give it a facelift. The cars land is great but has litle to do with California, and the rides in it are clones.
    I don´t think Disney understands how important the piece of land that DCA takes up is.
    They will have to market Carthay like crazy to get it to stick in peoples minds.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast