Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: FastPass - Will Disney Get Rid of It? The Latest Rumor from the Resort

Quote Originally Posted by steve2wdw View Post
    The old "pre" FastPass days at WDW were normal 30-45 minute posted lines on most attractions, with the lines moving at a steady pace. Even a 1.5 hour wait for SM was bearable because it moved constantly. Wait times were always shorter than the posted time (a 30 minute actual time was posted at 45 minutes-I think the old formula was to add on 50% of the actual wait time to the posted time), which psychologically made you feel like "that line wasn't bad at all". If you walked just slow enough, you would actually never stop walking. Now with FastPass, every standby line feels like a theatre attraction queue, where sometimes you don't move an inch for 10 to 15 minutes at a time. Psychologically it makes the line even worse. And on top of this, the wait times always seem "longer" than posted.

I say "down with FastPass" and get people in the lines that they "want" to be in, and out of the lines that others want to be in.

Definitely. I was at the park sunday and recall getting antsy when the line didn't move for 5-10 minutes at a time. I started to wonder if the ride broke down.

Long lines are bearable as long as you're not in the exact same spot for very long. Ever since fastpass, you waited in long lines but in the exact same spot. It's not fun.

And I seem to recall Disney doing Fastpass to force people into attractions that got passed up on. And i guess if there's significant proof that fastpass keeps the entire park busier... that might be the only reason I can see for them keeping it.

Would anyone wait for Honey, I Shrunk the Audience if fast pass wasn't around? I remember when fast pass machines pumped out free tickets to "Honey" with no wait! Wow, what a bargain!

Any CM want to talk about the smaller attractions that may or may not benefit from Fast Pass?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I thought my pretty little fastpass thread and poll was good enough for you all but clearly you like posting here more... I just skimmed eight pages of people saying how much they hated these threads, but also seemed happy to share their opinions again. To see mine, please go to this thread and why not vote in the poll while your there?
    Last edited by Trevor; 06-01-2009 at 10:45 PM.

Jumping in here a bit...
    Although I'm not aching to see FP discontinued, I can't say I'd complain at all if it were, for the reasons given for advocating its removal, which to me seem pretty sound. I've always assumed the underlying idea was to get guests out of lines and into stores, restaurants and ODV, spending money. Surely this is happening, but with the side effect almost certainly being, as has been pointed out, the longer lines and extra crowding everywhere else.

I've been using FP less and less; lately just for Space Mountain and the occasional ride on Indy. And the reason has no more to do with shortening my wait than it does with avoiding the much-slower constantly-stalling standby lines. I used to use FP on BLAB a lot, but have found it unnecessary, if my growing pile of unused BLAB FPs wasn't already a hint. The standby line--even with the interruptions at merge--is usually entirely tolerable, and would be even more so if it didn't have FP. Going just by personal observation, on Space I see the standby line continually being held up at merge and rarely have to wait on the FP side of merge myself, but also notice how consistently the line afterwards moves. If FP were ditched I couldn't see it being more than about 25 minutes on those moderately-busy days where it's currently at 40. The last couple times I've been on Indy (had a FP each time) it "matured" fairly late like after 10pm and there was little or no standby line before merge, meaning the FP--and any time invested in getting it earlier--was unnecessary. And the post-merge line was always pretty speedy. Thunder Mountain, totally unnecessary, especially when both sides are loading.

Going again by the reasoning given, if FP were tossed, on the big E's currently with FP like Space and Indy and Splash you'd obviously have a bigger time investment up front compared to using a FP nowdays, but considerably less than the present-day standby lines. Add in the partially-lessend crowds everywhere else and you should still have sufficient time to do some of the big E's multiple times along wih all the other stuff. Maybe not on very packed days, but even now on packed days (in my experience at least) FP is only a moderate help at best, if you invest the time in collecting them early. (Just going by personal experience: I can get a lot done even with minimal use of FPs.) I just hope those who would consider avoiding vacationing at DL if FP were tossed will reconsider. You'd still have a great time, and the whole deal would be somewhat simplified and a bit less hectic.

Anyways, just my take.

• Pilot EdForceOne

stand-by lines not moving are again... an implementation problem, not a FP problem.

the crying about watching the FP line move while yours doesnt.. is just that.. crying. It's simply selfish behavior that doesn't even deserve acknowledgment. yes, it could be improved upon with queue design.. but given the abysmal emphasis put on queues in DLR to start with.. I doubt it would garner much attention to improve upon.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Vroom, vroom!

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    If you are arriving in July then I have no sympathy for you, with or without a Fastpass. Fastpass will make the lines longer, which is already on top of the long lines... but it was your choice to show up around that time! The beginning or the end of Summer would be far better then showing up in the middle of it... so again no sympathy from me. Enjoy the heat, enjoy the crowds, I'd rather stay home.

For anyone who thinks that is a comment of an arrogant local it's not. I hold the same opinion when I travel. I specifically pick slower times if possible to ensure I can do what I want to do. It may not be full on "off season" but I will get as close to it as possible. I have no sympathy for those who don't plan and get stuck with holiday or summer crowds.

I have a family of four little ones, the oldest is 6. They don't do Indy, or Space, or Big Thunder. But in Fantasyland everyone I spoke with in line for Peter Pan had a Fastpass for one of the above. I even overheard several comment about how they could get a Fastpass and then burn some time in the lines in Fantasyland taking their little one on the attractions. This isn't on a 1 day visit... this is over, and over, and over, and over... People are more willing to tolerate longer lines when they know they have a Fastpass that can't be used until X Time anyways. My family made a specific choice as to if the wait was "worth it" because we didn't have a Fastpass. We're local, we can always come back and often did. Other vacationing families don't have that option.

You forgot c) the boom in international tourism started in the mid 90's and continues to this day due to developing economies and expendable income worldwide.

I am not blaming Fastpass for long lines. The lines would be there regardless, based on what individuals deem "worth the wait". I am blaming Fastpass for making the lines longer, both by stopping the Standby queue and by encouraging people to wait longer to "kill time".
    OK I wanted to stay out but this quote took the cake.
    I am not a local but I NEVER use a fast pass to me its cheating other people. but no sympathy for going in the buisy season?
    My little brother goes to school and we can only go durring the summer season or holliday weekends. I know its better in an off season but its not right to pull kids out of school to go anywhere thats not important.
    I am Scary Scott,
    Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
    I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
    Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
    Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
    Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
    Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

• When Will It Return?

I like the choices FastPass gives guests as to how to plan their day, ride rides without being stuck in queues for hours, see more of the park with less time spent in queues, etc. I just wish that park admissions would be cut by $20, and FastPass immediately become a $20/person upcharge service.

To repeat, I'd like to see admission cut by $20 and then FastPass immediately become a $20/person upcharge service. Please do not confuse this point. I would in no way be in favor of FastPass becoming an upcharge without a corresponding equal, or higher drop in the price of admission.

Now the point of doing that would be to allow guests to be able to choose whether they want to use FastPass or not, instead of FP being included in park admissions by default. If the change was made, since people now choose to pay for FP, the number of GP who educate themselves on what exactly FastPass is & how to use it would be greatly improved. The change would also likely diminish the number of FP users on a daily basis, thereby solving many of the problems the aint-FP'ers constantly repeat themselves about that FP creates.

Don't change anything about FP, except how guests currently choose to be able to are able to use it.

The only con is that it would likely be a fairly significant hit to the revenue stream, and thus immediately be deemed unacceptable. If I was to ever pitch this idea in a Disney boardroom, I'd likely be told that I had a good idea, but I'd need to find a way to do this without the cut in the price of admission. Unfortunately that would simply mean that I'd be asked to find a way to cloud a $20 jump in admission into a way Disney's further giving guests the option to choose their experience, or their "magic" as it were. Hmm, sounds a lot like "Magic Your Way"...
    Last edited by PeoplemoverMatt; 06-02-2009 at 05:05 AM.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Scary Scott View Post
    OK I wanted to stay out but this quote took the cake.
    I am not a local but I NEVER use a fast pass to me its cheating other people. but no sympathy for going in the buisy season?
    My little brother goes to school and we can only go durring the summer season or holiday weekends. I know its better in an off season but its not right to pull kids out of school to go anywhere thats not important.
    SS... if you look I said "beginning or end of Summer" which means exactly that. Most Schools let out at the end of May (or early June) and don't pick back up until the beginning of September. If an individual specifically chooses the middle of summer (late June, July, August) then I have no sympathy for them. They chose to come in the heat of summer to a destination that is known to be a summer destination... it will be crowded. Nowhere in there did I say pull a kid out of school.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Rock Star Minion

I think an interesting boycott idea would be that boycotters take fastpasses but never use them.
    We just need a large contingent of guests who go all the time. But who?

More subversive: boycotters take fastpasses, all day long, but instead of returning at the suggested time, all return at the same time.
    Last edited by sediment; 06-02-2009 at 10:09 AM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Launch sequence engaged

^My passive-aggressive personality really gets a kick out of those ideas.

In an environment where Fastpass exists, it is stupid not to use the service. However, saying that a slow standby line is an "implementation" problem and that those who advocate against it are "crying" about it is immature. We are all continuous visitors to Disney parks, and we know how the system works. We aren't the ones in line who scratch our head wondering why certain guests get to waltz through the line.

Disney needs to evaluate if Fastpass truly makes a guest's experience better. Please, Disney, get rid of FP on Buzz Lightyear!
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~ Homer Simpson

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland Tourist View Post
    In an environment where Fastpass exists, it is stupid not to use the service. However, saying that a slow standby line is an "implementation" problem and that those who advocate against it are "crying" about it is immature.
    No - they are facts. The amount of impact on the stand-by line is completely in control of Disney. How many tickets they give out per window and enforcing return lines would control that impact to whatever desire they want. They can make stand-by 5 to 1 to FP if they wanted. The reality is they chose otherwise.

They called the line 'stand-by' for a reason.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Launch sequence engaged

^The fact that they choose otherwise is wrong. Other parks offer front-of-the-line passes as an upcharge. Thus, they limit the amount of individuals that participate in the program.

Fastpasses are given out in intervals of five minutes, ensuring a constant flow of traffic. If Disneyland brass limit or tweak the ratio, it might help alleviate longer standby lines and crowded walkways. However, the fact that they implement it incorrectly tells me that the entire system is flawed. Disney should have an argument that says Fastpass is actually efficient and contributes to higher levels of guest satisfaction.
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~ Homer Simpson

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    No - they are facts. The amount of impact on the stand-by line is completely in control of Disney. How many tickets they give out per window and enforcing return lines would control that impact to whatever desire they want. They can make stand-by 5 to 1 to FP if they wanted. The reality is they chose otherwise.
    Which is very true and until recently (1 year ago give or take) could be adjusted for by CM's.

In regards to your "crying" comment. I find it ironic that those doing the most crying while standing in a standby line have a Fastpass in their pocket for another attraction. So they are contributing to someone else's unpleasant experience yet complain when it happens to them.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland Tourist View Post
    Fastpasses are given out in intervals of five minutes, ensuring a constant flow of traffic.
    If return times were enforced. They're not, so nothing is ensured.
    There are a few times, like right before dinner, where accumulated fastpasses are used for Splash and Space. (After dinner, not so much, as that food is expensive and needs to be kept down.)
    Also, right before people leave the park for the day, accumulated fastpasses are used. Maybe an hour before closing.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    If return times were enforced. They're not, so nothing is ensured.
    There are a few times, like right before dinner, where accumulated fastpasses are used for Splash and Space. (After dinner, not so much, as that food is expensive and needs to be kept down.)
    Also, right before people leave the park for the day, accumulated fastpasses are used. Maybe an hour before closing.
    A couple people brought it up but the main time the enforcement becomes an issue is when the attraction already has a substantial standby line. Indy would be around noon... also after parade/Fantasmic/Pyro etc. End of the night was never a big deal because the last hour or so the line usually dies off anyways. I know it's either enforce it or don't... I'm just saying it isn't always an issue.

I certainly hope the FastPass system is kept in place. With a little planning you can incorporate the system into your meal breaks and movement between the parks to take advantage of all high value attractions.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast