Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

• Cove Bar Official Dj

Re: FastPass - Will Disney Get Rid of It? The Latest Rumor from the Resort

sitting in a stuffy line with some kid stepping on my feet everytime the line moves, or people watching.... hmmm i think ill take the fastpass and people watch option
    -Ricky
    DLand Connoisseur
    http://www.djrickyjay.com

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by AhpalovestheDuck View Post
    I certainly hope the FastPass system is kept in place. With a little planning you can incorporate the system into your meal breaks and movement between the parks to take advantage of all high value attractions.
    Here we go again, huh guys?

First, welcome to mice chat!

Second, please read the thread. There are a lot of sound voices that detail that while you "planned" for your meal, you're now waiting in a longer line for it. Whether you prefer waiting longer for lunch or longer for a popular ride, it's all the same. You're still waiting.

I remember in the days prior to fast pass, my friends and I were able to plan our meals no problem. How did we do it? We simply went to get food instead of going to a ride. Wow, it's pretty simple.

Fastpass is great if you did nothing but fastpass your rides and little else. But you'd still be using up a lot of time doing nothing.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by AhpalovestheDuck View Post
    I certainly hope the FastPass system is kept in place. With a little planning you can incorporate the system into your meal breaks and movement between the parks to take advantage of all high value attractions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Here we go again, huh guys?
    You don't recognize the corporate accent on that post?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland Tourist View Post
    ^My passive-aggressive personality really gets a kick out of those ideas.

In an environment where Fastpass exists, it is stupid not to use the service. However, saying that a slow standby line is an "implementation" problem and that those who advocate against it are "crying" about it is immature. We are all continuous visitors to Disney parks, and we know how the system works. We aren't the ones in line who scratch our head wondering why certain guests get to waltz through the line.

Disney needs to evaluate if Fastpass truly makes a guest's experience better. Please, Disney, get rid of FP on Buzz Lightyear!
    I wouldn't go so far as calling it stupid, but a guest certainly isn't doing him/herself a favor by not taking advantage of it on high-priority rides. It may be causing problems, but it's not the guests' faults for simply making use of it. Only Disney can take the blame. Personally I've rarely (never, actually) been "stuck crying because it's not moving" in a stand-by line simply by making it a point to get a FP earlier. Then again, being a regularly-attending annual passholder, no ride is any longer that important that I must see it, and I've shrugged off a long standby line exactly once since becoming one (Indy right after Fantasmic one night). Those guests that don't regularly visit, FP is here so why not take advantage of it?

And yeah, FP on BLAB and also BTMRR can go, but in all honesty it's pretty harmless on those rides. Standby lines are pretty fast even though it has FP. My first visit to DL after the advent of FP wasn't until 2006, so I didn't get to (have to more like it) see FP on rides like POTC and Star Tours, and even then would have wondered why those rides even needed it.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by HighLeveller View Post
    And yeah, FP on BLAB and also BTMRR can go, but in all honesty it's pretty harmless on those rides.
    Fastpass on Thunder can be a serious issue... Thunder has a maximum of 5 trains. It's complicated to explain but if they are trying to avoid a breakdown they will pull a train and drop to 4 trains. That simple act, which can happen on and off all day depending on the crew, really screws up Fastpass. Fastpass issues it's tickets based in part on vehicle count. That 1 train... means the difference between everyone being happy and a majority of the pulse being Fastpass only... We used to be able to compensate, just leave it on 4 trains in the Fastpass system... from what I am told Disney has since locked out that ability (even to Leads).
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Fastpass on Thunder can be a serious issue... Thunder has a maximum of 5 trains. It's complicated to explain but if they are trying to avoid a breakdown they will pull a train and drop to 4 trains. That simple act, which can happen on and off all day depending on the crew, really screws up Fastpass. Fastpass issues it's tickets based in part on vehicle count. That 1 train... means the difference between everyone being happy and a majority of the pulse being Fastpass only... We used to be able to compensate, just leave it on 4 trains in the Fastpass system... from what I am told Disney has since locked out that ability (even to Leads).
    I've seen this from personal experience a few times. This makes Thunder go from a quick stanby line to one that doesn't move, especially if you get unlucky and hit a big surge of FP's.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    You don't recognize the corporate accent on that post?
    For an especially nostalgic treat, imagine it read by Jack Wagner in his trademark bright, cheery, "Welcome to this magical place called Disneyland" style.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• "I Break Things"

With Pirates it was more of a "feeding" issue... they kept starving the station because Pirates has a massive capacity. Haunted Mansion had issues with elevators being full of Fastpass (and still has this issue when it is HMH). StarTours had the same issue as Thunder... when a cabin went down Standby was screwed! It is what it is. I wish I could remember the formula. I know part of it included the OHRC (Operational Hourly Ride Count) so that the Fastpass could determine the ratio of Standby to Fastpass based upon vehicle count. So if an attraction has the potential to pull in big numbers then the Fastpass spits out more tickets. Notice I said potential... if they pull a vehicle (which alters the OHRC) or have a slow crew then Fastpass can't compensate "on the spot" for it since that hour, and likely several more, were already issued under the assumption that it would be operating x vehicles and pulling in specific numbers.

I'm a bit shocked this went to page 11 without a merge. Then again the other thread asked how to improve it. This one was a basic work/doesn't work thread.
    Last edited by techskip; 06-02-2009 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I've seen this from personal experience a few times. This makes Thunder go from a quick stanby line to one that doesn't move, especially if you get unlucky and hit a big surge of FP's.
    That scenario makes sense. I guess I've been fortunate and not gotten there at the wrong time. (But I also don't ride BTMRR all that often, maybe once every other visit.)

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HighLeveller View Post
    That scenario makes sense. I guess I've been fortunate and not gotten there at the wrong time. (But I also don't ride BTMRR all that often, maybe once every other visit.)
    It's only happened to me once, and I ride BTM a lot. Though Tech makes it sound like it happens fairly often. I had an even worse time once though when the whole ride had been down earlier in the day which was causing so many FPs to show up at once. That time a posted 15 minute, what looked like 10 minute line turned into 45 minutes suddenly.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Special Agent

It's only happened to me once, and I ride BTM a lot. Though Tech makes it sound like it happens fairly often. I had an even worse time once though when the whole ride had been down earlier in the day which was causing so many FPs to show up at once. That time a posted 15 minute, what looked like 10 minute line turned into 45 minutes suddenly.
    Lately what has been bugging me is when they run 3 trains on one side and end up sending a full train to the spur side to unload because of a slow dispatch time. One night while waiting in line they ended up doing this two or three times, so while they were technically running three trains, they were only really loading two.

I don't know if that's because the crew up there is a little slow or what, but it is quite frustrating.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    I don't know if that's because the crew up there is a little slow or what, but it is quite frustrating.
    It can be a slow crew, a slow Guest, or both. Also if they don't sandbag the train it will likely happen again...

As to the 4/5 combo it can happen a LOT if a crew doesn't know what they are doing. Going to 5 trains is a bit tricky. Once you are at 5 trains it is essentially juggling (2 in station 3 on track at all times). If the crew is worth their salt they can keep it going all day and only drop to 4 if it's a slow Guest or a bad train (load wheel squeaking etc). If it's a new crew they'll get a BZ4 reset, pull the next train, spend 30 minutes keeping Thunder up with 4 trains, then everyone will break out a rosary and pray as they try to take it to 5. Like I said a good crew can keep it at 5 all day... a bad one will fumble!

• Senior Minion

Yeah, under utilized capacity and overly long load times can be frustrating. I went to Knotts a few weeks ago and could not believe how long they'd have trains sitting in the station. Disney's actually been really good about this the last few years, but I think recently I have seen more problems as well. Not sure why, maybe Skip has some insight. I would think the job market would actually mean CMs are sticking around a while and should know what they are doing, but who knows.
    -Walt Disney

• "I Break Things"

I went to Knotts a few weeks ago and could not believe how long they'd have trains sitting in the station. Disney's actually been really good about this the last few years, but I think recently I have seen more problems as well. Not sure why, maybe Skip has some insight
    It'd be a can of worms but basically I attribute it to a lack of experience. 05-07 saw a lot of senior hourly CM's leave for a variety of reasons. The average tenure plummeted to 9 months... basically if you had a month under your belt you could apply to be a trainer. I'm not saying it's a hard job, but there are a lot of "tricks" that can improve the way things are done. 07-09 saw a loss in seasoned management. In the middle of that the Economy also tanked so hourly started to stick around. There's really no telling what was lost and what will be regained through experience. Like I said, not a hard job, but having a seasoned proficent crew who knows the "tricks" makes a lot of difference. That's where the 4-5 comment came from.

To explain Thunder a little better... it's ride system is called Fred. Think of Fred as a grumpy old man. The first time you back up a station on 5 trains BZ4 will trip and need to be reset. If they aren't fast enough at clearing the station then C lift will then trip... BZ4 again... then B... at some point Fred will simply throw up his hands and pull the plug (Auto Ride Stop due to Ride Cascade). To avoid this, and make Fred happy, a Lead will have the 5th train "staged" (pulled back but still onstage off Spur line). They'll let it sit 20 or 30 minutes to make sure the station calms down before pulling the 5th back on.

Now... you don't have to pull the 5th train... you can "race Fred". The catch is that if you loose then the ride is down. If you win then you maintain your counts, keep your line moving, and keep people happy. Most Leads wouldn't challenge Fred, it takes a really strong crew to pull it off because the slightest mistake and Thunder's down. I've seen Fred challenged five times, lost once due to a Guest giving a train a "high five". That would have probably brought us down anyways (zone time out before A Lift) but when you're racing Fred you really don't have an envelope for a margin of error.
    Last edited by techskip; 06-03-2009 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bee1000 View Post
    This thread is silly rumor-mongering, but I'll indulge it against my better judgment.

Potential Upside for Disneyland without Fastpasses: People (i.e., me) who go on busy days because they know that Fastpasses will allow them to do everything they want would stop going on busy days and instead make the extra effort required to come on slow weekdays instead.

Potential Downside to this scenario: I might not make the extra effort, and end up going to the parks even less often (only about once a year as it is).
    If FP is really removed, I would not renew my AP and would probably avoid going except in really slow times such as mid January. It would keep me out of the parks
    Janette

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast