Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 LastLast

• "I Break Things"

Re: FastPass - Will Disney Get Rid of It? The Latest Rumor from the Resort

Quote Originally Posted by Leofoenget View Post
    If FP is really removed, I would not renew my AP and would probably avoid going except in really slow times such as mid January. It would keep me out of the parks
    I would ask why but I am fairly confident your reasons have been stated, defended, and debated over the past 11 pages of the thread.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Minion

As hot as this thread is, I'm surprised it didn't make the round up this week.

• aka the scorpion eater!

Well the reason this is probably not on the roundup is because its pretty much a fastpass war some like it and some dont... I can say that I remember the older times before fastpass and I can agree the lines moved and while they were long they at least were moving and was not a stop and start type of thing like they are now.

Case in point was the line for Rocket Rods... this ride always had a 90 min to 2 hour wait time and a long line that took up the whole Circlevision building! But during that time waiting to ride, it wasnt feeling like a chore because after you got into the building, there were preshows featuring Walt Disneys classic short animations about transportation of the future and then in the main circlevision room you had films about transportation on the circlevision screen with even some clips of Walt Disney talking about transportation... and the whole 90 minute wait was amazing, it lead up to waiting to ride and enjoy the attraction... in fact the line was half of the show!

Indiana Jones was the same way... I remember when it first opened and the line went all the way to the entrance of Frontierland into the hub... it had a feeling of slowly reaching the station in anticipation because the line constantly moved because there was not fastpass... and even then once you got into the temple, they gave you decoders to decode the writing on the walls so while you were in line slowly going through the temple you could read about the story of Mara and why the temple is how it is. Not to mention there was the spike room and the few other surprises that made the show a bit better!

Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin... the que was half the fun of waiting to ride, you were lead through the back alleys of toontown waiting to board your taxi and go on an awesome adventure... again the que lead to the show. Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror, and a few other attractions are the same way in that the que leads to the show... half of the fun before the days of fastpass was the anticipation of a constant moving line and enjoyment of the show elements in the ques that told some of the backstory prior to riding.

Now since fastpass came out, its more about bypass the que and show elements and get straight to the ride with a now now now me me me whats in it for myself and no one else that I will fight to the death over getting on the rides before everyone else mentality. Does this mean I am against fastpass... Definitely not! But I am not for it either... I have been to Disneyland in the pre-fastpass days and long before fastpass and really the Disney company is going to do what they are going to do with it... personally I will just adapt to whatever they are doing with it and plan accordingly.

I can say the line for Midway Mania was not too bad, it was constantly moving, there was no fastpass but still it was moving, the wait was not so bad while it was moving... do I wish they had fastpass though for it so I could wait in another line and do other things until my fastpass time... absolutely... but both sides have balanced arguments... the lines move faster without fastpass but then you do less attractions because you have to prioritize over which is more worth doing on your visit over the others [and believe me we did this numerous times prior to fastpass]... but then to counter that statement, with fastpass you can almost guarantee doing every E-ticket in the park but then you sacrafice less stressful easy moving lines [despite being longer in size] and replace them with stop and go, start and stop almost non moving lines... its really a double edged sword either way... if one side gets one thing you have to sacrafice the other. Apparently Mickey Mouse will not let you have your What Will You Celebrate Birthday cake and eat it too!
    Add me... I dont bite LOL!
    http://tamasurvivor.tumblr.com/

http://www.youtube.com/tamasurvivor
    http://www.facebook.com/TAMAsurvivor

Commence Dragulation... Dragulation complete!!

• Minion

Didn't mean to start a war here. I just wanted to bring this to the attention of my fellow MC'ers. Understandable that some like it, some don't. No matter what anyone posts on here, it won't change the minds or opinions of others that feel differently. Needless say though, which is probably a first for me, this would be argueably be my longest thread I've posted.

Pun intended.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Leofoenget View Post
    If FP is really removed, I would not renew my AP and would probably avoid going except in really slow times such as mid January. It would keep me out of the parks
    ANOTHER reason why removing FP would reduce wait times.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by AidensDaddy View Post
    Didn't mean to start a war here. I just wanted to bring this to the attention of my fellow MC'ers. Understandable that some like it, some don't. No matter what anyone posts on here, it won't change the minds or opinions of others that feel differently. Needless say though, which is probably a first for me, this would be argueably be my longest thread I've posted.

Pun intended.
    Not a "war" merely a hot topic that comes up now and then. Strollers, parenting, wheelchairs, AP's, CM wages... certain things tend to bring individuals out of the woodwork. Like I said there was a thread prior to this one (consider it the "warm up") that discussed a lot of the same material.

Personally I would recommend phasing out Fastpass, and I've provided a lot of logic in regards to why. Currently they have phased it out on specific attractions. I think the next logical step would be to simply not offer it in the quieter months when the park is at reduced hours. With careful planning it can be quietly shuttered and people will likely only remember it. Tourists... who were supposed to benefit most but many feel don't understand it... may not even notice it's gone.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I dunno if it is just me but I dont really get the "Fastpasses make the wait longer" arguement. Of course it does, any time you let people go to the front of the line, its going to have a longer wait. I dont see the observation that the standbye line would be shorter without fastpasses as a hard to discover fact. Its like on a computer. If you are rendering a movie, it will take x hours to do, but if you start a virus scan, both will take longer. Disney knows that fastpasses increase the standbye time but it pays off for people who would otherwise not have time to see that one ride they want to.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post
    Disney knows that fastpasses increase the standbye time but it pays off for people who would otherwise not have time to see that one ride they want to.
    I have absolutely no idea what you just said. Please explain.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I have absolutely no idea what you just said. Please explain.
    Oh boy, I'm a bit tired tonight.

I guess I'm just questioning the complaint people have that Fastpass increases the wait for the Standbye lines. IMHO thats a pretty obvious effect of a system that allows people to skip the lineup. I guess the main refrance I could use is regarding the day that Fastpass went down. People often use this as an example and say that the standbye line suddenly became very short, like half an hour instead of the two hours people are used to.

They then say that this is why Fastpass should be removed, because it shortens lines. All I think that did was prevent people from getting into the Standbye line. Instead of people running and getting a fastpass in order to come back later, they just didnt bother and never came at all. Its not like the capacity went up on the ride, and It was running properly all day so the same ammount of people got on it.

I think fastpass has a place in the future because it can be used by people who dont have every day they want in the parks to get on the big ticket rides.

• Senior Minion

I think fastpass has a place in the future because it can be used by people who dont have every day they want in the parks to get on the big ticket rides.
    The point of so many posts in the thread is... "yes, but at what cost for the rest of the park and the people in it?" Fastpass has an upside for the few and a downside for the many. It negatively impacts many areas of the park and the overall guest experience, as has been explained in detail by people like techskip who've had experience as a CM on big ticket rides before Fastpass, during its implementation, and afterward.

To me the most intriguing thing about Fastpass is not the details of how it works (or doesn't work), but how people can believe that any strategy could exist that allows them to avoid the inconvenience of ride queues without transferring that inconvenience to some other part of the system. It seems to me like perpetual motion or tabletop fusion -- the dream of Something for Nothing.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 06-03-2009 at 11:25 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

But, the instant gratification makes the long term pain go away. The brain is wierd.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Precisely, Mr. Wiggins.

Think of it this way. Without fastpass, people are waiting in their respective lines and know exactly how long it is going to be. When they want to shop, they shop. When they want to ride, they ride. If they only have X amount of time left, they'll go on a queue that has X amount of wait.

With fastpass, sure you can wait 20 minutes for Space Mountain, but when are you coming back? Usually hours later. So in the meantime, you're waiting for other rides, grabbing food, and shopping in direct competition with more people than ever before because they're not waiting in the line in lines for rides that Fastpass is holding for them.

Yes, fastpass is great if you only wanted to ride space mountain (for example) and grab lunch and then go home. But because of fastpass, we have created this type of guest who comes only to ride the big rides and leaves. Who knows how many MORE guests are coming into the park just to take advantage of the fastpass system and then clog up the walkways?

I think the general idea is that having no fastpass is just plain honest. You tell people how long a wait is and that's that.

What if you got in line for Space at 10:30pm when it said 45 minutes. Cool, you have enough time to ride something else after. Maybe two rides if you're lucky. Now imagine if everyone who grabbed a fastpass that day decided to wait until then to board space mountain. You'd be S.O.L.

So maybe if Disney enforced the hour time period, it would work out a little better. But currently, it causes more headache, costs the company more money to operate, and crowds the park a lot more. But who knows, nobody answered my question earlier... if the smaller attractions are busier, if they're selling more food and merchandise, maybe it's worth it to them?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Senior Minion

But, the instant gratification makes the long term pain go away. The brain is wierd.
    Exactly my point. The lure of instant gratification is what Fastpass is all about. Who wants to stand in lines? Nobody. Who wants to ride more rides? Everybody. What's the quick & easy solution? Fastpass.

But instant gratification doesn't make long term pain go away. As we've seen in other areas of life almost anywhere that instant gratification is sold -- be it quick junk food, easy credit, Get Rich Quick stock offerings or too-good-to-be-true mortgage deals -- it creates long-term pain.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Haha I'm not saying your wrong but long term pain is easier to hide and take than short term for most people. IMHO the one cure we can all agree on to curb some of these effects is to enforce the return time. That would hurt for a while, but in the end i think it would be better.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I dunno if it is just me but I dont really get the "Fastpasses make the wait longer" arguement.
    Does it matter though? Let's say I ride 3 FP rides in a day.. a conservative number. Lets assume the wait on these popular rides is 1hr.. another conservative number.

Now, I go ride something like Alice.. and the line is 10 minutes longer because of all those nasty FP holders out roaming the park. If FP added 15 minutes to every line I stood in, until I wait in lines a combined 3 hours longer (due to the 3hrs I'm not waiting due to my FPs).. I'm still ahead. At 15mins per ride, it would take me 12 rides before I the 'added' wait of FP caught up with me.

Considering even Gumball Rally riders only get 28-30 rides in... I'm not really concerned that these wait times would catch up with me.

The other point is... a FP holder if he didn't get a ticket, is likely in line ahead of you anyways. So he never cut the line. The counter point to that is when people come back much later, or in large rushes, etc. And the diffuser for that.. like most arguements is.. it's a problem that could easily be fixed by enforcing return times if disney chose to. Hence, implementation.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged