Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: FastPass - Will Disney Get Rid of It? The Latest Rumor from the Resort

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I would be more interested in the wait times with and without Fastpass. Because those would demonstrate the effect Fastpass has on an attraction... not how popular it is.
    The wait times would be shorter, I grant you that, doesn't mean people would be happy to wait in a 1 hour line instead of skipping the line all together.

• Launch sequence engaged

The implementation of ratios on Fastpass rides artificially drive up the wait times, when they would otherwise be shorter. I really believe that Buzz Lightyear needs to be taken off the system. Even Haunted Mansion Holiday should not need it. The traffic issues they create are ridiculous.

Disney has removed Fastpass from rides that once had it (Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion), but they need to seriously evaluate rides like Space Mountain, BLAB, and HMH and realize Fastpass is interfering with rides that were designed to quickly move a lot of people through the line.
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~ Homer Simpson

• Launch sequence engaged

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    The wait times would be shorter, I grant you that, doesn't mean people would be happy to wait in a 1 hour line instead of skipping the line all together.
    Happiness is relative. Those few individuals that would have been happy skipping the line altogether are now supposedly disgruntled by waiting in a standby line. Even if they were unhappy, wouldn't those in the standby line enjoy a line that at least continuously moved and was shorter than before? Furthermore, they don't have to witness the line move than suddenly stop for 5-7 minutes while 25-30 people waltz past the standby line.

Also, since when does holding a Fastpass to one ride preclude you from having to wait in one-hour lines? Because FP forces people back into the park instead of remaining in the line, you may easily end up waiting one hour for a ride like FNSV or maybe the Astro Orbitor.
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~ Homer Simpson

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland Tourist View Post
    The implementation of ratios on Fastpass rides artificially drive up the wait times, when they would otherwise be shorter. I really believe that Buzz Lightyear needs to be taken off the system. Even Haunted Mansion Holiday should not need it. The traffic issues they create are ridiculous.

Disney has removed Fastpass from rides that once had it (Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion), but they need to seriously evaluate rides like Space Mountain, BLAB, and HMH and realize Fastpass is interfering with rides that were designed to quickly move a lot of people through the line.
    The traffic situation at Buzz is not because of that ride, but because Disney decided to place that eyesore of an astro orbitor right at the entrance.

• Minion

When it was slow I used to love causing a "jackpot" effect on Indy. I'd wait until a little kid came up to scan a ticket then press override 4 or 5 times and watch. The kid would be shocked as the tickets kept pouring out. They usually thought they broke the machine! I stress I only did this in the off season when it was slow and Fastpass was useless (line averaged 10 or 15 minutes maybe 20 at most).
    Quote Originally Posted by AidensDaddy View Post
    Positively evil!!! I love it!!!

This is inspiring another thread idea. I hope no one beat me to it!

Thread posted.

What Are Some of the Funny/Crazy Things You Do at Disneyland?

• "I Break Things"

Those same individuals who are skipping the 1 hour line are likely standing in another line elsewhere driving up it's wait time. And they aren't standing in a long line because they really want to go on, they are standing in it to "kill time" before their Fastpass can be used.

Not having Fastpass means people will only wait in a line if they feel the experience is worth the wait. This would have an immediate effect on balancing all attraction queues. Suddenly people might question waiting 2hrs for Splash, 90min for Space, or 75min for Indy. People would consciously ask if they want to utilize x minutes standing in line for this attraction, or if their time is better spent elsewhere. After all if you aren't a local then your vacation time is valuable. It also means that if you are waiting in line for 1 hour, then 1 hour's worth of people honestly feel it is worth the wait and aren't just "killing time". This allows queues to once again be merit based, demonstrating which experiences are honestly worth the wait.

As a side note I would rather spend 40min inside Indy's air conditioned queue, or 25 min inside Space's air conditioned queue... then spend a large amount of time in an outside queue on a hot July day only to run inside for 10 or 15 minutes. That would be one of many benefits to removing Fastpass. Likewise the psychological effect of moving line is much better then the frustration of watching Fastpass move.
    Last edited by techskip; 05-31-2009 at 04:46 PM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Banned User

Those same individuals who are skipping the 1 hour line are likely standing in another line elsewhere driving up it's wait time. And they aren't standing in a long line because they really want to go on, they are standing in it to "kill time" before their Fastpass can be used.

Not having Fastpass means people will only wait in a line if they feel the experience is worth the wait. This would have an immediate effect on balancing all attraction queues. Suddenly people might question waiting 2hrs for Splash, 90min for Space, or 75min for Indy. People would consciously ask if they want to utilize x minutes standing in line for this attraction, or if their time is better spent elsewhere. It means if you are waiting in line for 1 hour, then 1 hour's worth of people honestly feel it is worth the wait and aren't just "killing time".
    Fastpasses allow you to do more. You just proved that yourself. I am not one of those firm believers in waiting 2 hours to soak everything in. No, I will soak everything in in 10 minutes and continue to ride rides. Fastpasses allow you to do more in a single day, I don't see what is so wrong with that.

My wife and I visited the Parks this past week. The line Finding Nemo's Submarine Voyage was always long. My Wife and I decided to head over to it first thing on one of our early entry days. We were the first ones in line and it didn't take long for it to get crowded. As we were waiting I asked the Cast Member if there were plans on adding Fast Pass machines to the attraction. He said they liked to call Finding Nemo an "Equal Opportunity" ride, meaning people should have to wait like everyone else. I myself like FastPasses. Like the original poster said, if they remove that feature from all of the rides, people will be upset. I am completely spoiled by the FastPass system. I think that it is ingenious. Certain rides are good without it, like Pirates of the Caribbean and The Haunted Mansion, but rides like Space Mountain and Toy Story Mania need it.

"I hope that we never lose sight of one thing-that it was all started by a mouse." Walt Disney

• "I Break Things"

Fastpasses allow you to do more. You just proved that yourself. I am not one of those firm believers in waiting 2 hours to soak everything in. No, I will soak everything in in 10 minutes and continue to ride rides. Fastpasses allow you to do more in a single day, I don't see what is so wrong with that.
    Fastpass really only allows you to do more if you utilize it in the manner it was not designed to be used. If you get a Fastpass for one location, then dash off to another and stand in line. At that point you have a reserved spot on one attraction forcing it to hold it's line for a 15 minute buffer, and you are now making the wait for another attraction longer. People do it to themselves. I could care less if the lines are longer, I'll just go home and come back when they're shorter. A tourist doesn't have this option.

Once the Fastpasses are sold out all you have is long lines and people standing in them buring Fastpass time for other locations. On busy days this phenomenon happens between 12 and 130pm... at which point Fastpass return window is either "too late" or Fastpass is completely out. Now you have longer lines because of Fastpass, and no relief because the Fastpasses are completely out... the worst of both worlds you might say. And it happens all the time when it's busy.

This is also assuming you are there specifically to do the Fastpass attractions. There are many who aren't there for thrills including families and older adults. To them Fastpass can be useless... except that it also affects the lines of Non-Fastpass attractions.
    Last edited by techskip; 05-31-2009 at 05:36 PM.

• Minion

Not having Fastpass means people will only wait in a line if they feel the experience is worth the wait. This would have an immediate effect on balancing all attraction queues. Suddenly people might question waiting 2hrs for Splash, 90min for Space, or 75min for Indy. People would consciously ask if they want to utilize x minutes standing in line for this attraction, or if their time is better spent elsewhere. After all if you aren't a local then your vacation time is valuable. It also means that if you are waiting in line for 1 hour, then 1 hour's worth of people honestly feel it is worth the wait and aren't just "killing time". This allows queues to once again be merit based, demonstrating which experiences are honestly worth the wait.

As a side note I would rather spend 40min inside Indy's air conditioned queue, or 25 min inside Space's air conditioned queue... then spend a large amount of time in an outside queue on a hot July day only to run inside for 10 or 15 minutes. That would be one of many benefits to removing Fastpass. Likewise the psychological effect of moving line is much better then the frustration of watching Fastpass move.

Something that may, or may not, back up what you just said. We all remember before they installed FP on Space Mountain, the stand by queue would wrap around on both sides of the entrance to the "inside" part of the queue before you got to the loading area. There was the Starcade side, and then there was the Mission To Mars Side which is now the fast pass side of the entrance. I can't really say what the average wait time is in the stand by side in just this section alone but that would be doubled if both sides were used like they used to be. With that removed, one can say it either makes the line either longer, or shorter.

Look at it this way. If say one day, Disney decides to stop using FP for that that ride, and extends the queue to wrap around both sides of that upstairs entrance like they used to back in the day. Imagine the line wrapped around in length like it would be today, with the fastpass side completely open. The line would be probably around an hour long wait, maybe 75 minutes if the end wraps down to the standby entrance. Then let's just say to prove a point, Disney then fills up the fastpass side of that entrance upstairs, moving the line forward. Where the end of the line was backed up to the entrance of the standby queue (mear the fastpass distribution area) has now moved up in the queue. The wait time hasn't changed, it is still the same. They still haven't shortened the line, they've only increased the size of the queue. What will happen now is, other guests who weren't already in line, will suddenly see a short line and will get in line for the ride, therefore increasing the wait time from around 75 minutes, to probably 90. Removing fastpass, won't completely help that ride, or other rides, in some ways.

• Minion

I could care less if the lines are longer, I'll just go home and come back when they're shorter. A tourist doesn't have this option.

The only problem there is with that tech, is that the lines are not going to be much shorter for the next several weeks. Not until September, probably. The last time my wife, son and I experienced really short lines, was back in February. That one night when Aiden had like 10 minutes alone time with Mickey in his house in Toontown. Then came Spring Break, the wine festival, and now Summer. It's when they're back to their off season hours in September, October, or maybe early November when the lines might be short enough during the week.

But Disney is steadily trying to push away it's "off season/slow season". With the free on your birthdays, monthly payments on annual passes, the Halloween trick or treat, and Haunted Mansion Holiday, Disney is trying to offset it's slow season and bring in crowds 365 days a year.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by AidensDaddy View Post
    The only problem there is with that tech, is that the lines are not going to be much shorter for the next several weeks. Not until September, probably. The last time my wife, son and I experienced really short lines, was back in February. That one night when Aiden had like 10 minutes alone time with Mickey in his house in Toontown. Then came Spring Break, the wine festival, and now Summer. It's when they're back to their off season hours in September, October, or maybe early November when the lines might be short enough during the week.

But Disney is steadily trying to push away it's "off season/slow season". With the free on your birthdays, monthly payments on annual passes, the Halloween trick or treat, and Haunted Mansion Holiday, Disney is trying to offset it's slow season and bring in crowds 365 days a year.
    Oh it's possible. Likewise our trip isn't ruined if we only do a handful of "must do" attractions and go home. If it's too long we won't stand in it, we'll just come back some other time. A tourist doesn't have that option... or if they do it is limited to how long they will be at the resort. That was the complaint of a disneyfan121 who was a visiting tourist who wouldn't wait for Nemo's 75min line. By comparison Uncle Bob is a local AP who just didn't want to stand in a 75 minute line. He waited 40 times... 40... and finally hit the line when it was 10 minutes. The disneyfan121 didn't have that option so it was a "make or break" and they missed out on the experience. My point is that Fastpass makes the lines longer, and when Fastpass is out tourists can either stand in the longer lines, or forgo the experience. If they are multi-day it may not be an issue. If this is a 1 day visit this could cause them to forgo experiences because they don't have a Fastpass (say it's after 130pm on a Summer Day) and they refuse to wait for that long for an attraction.

I guess what I should ask tourists is this; On a busy day, when you've used your last Fastpass, when Fastpasses are sold out, and the lines are still long because of that 15 minute buffer... what do you do? Do you stand in the standby wishing it was shorter? Do you try to pick a shorter line in hopes of coming back later? or do you forgo the experience all together? Time suddenly gains value when there isn't a Fastpass to utilize. That is my point more then anything else. People who utilize Fastpass in the manner I described also contribute to longer lines throughout the park. So when there is no Fastpasses to be had and the lines are long, the ones to blame are the ones who utilize the system to it's maximum potential. I will not speak for all locals, I know the use is mixed between both tourist and local. I will simply say that when it's that crowded I go home. I have no use for longer lines... that's why I have an AP. So if Fastpass is out, I don't suffer. It doesn't bother me. But as a courtesy to tourist I would like to see it removed.

Not having a Fastpass system means that all attraction lines are merit based (assuming no attraction is down). It's possible people are willing to wait 2 hours for Splash or 90 minutes for Indy without an incentive... but I highly doubt it. Most likely people will only wait in a line if they feel that wait is worth the experience. This means shorter lines, and waiting only in lines for attractions and experiences you really want to do. No 15 minute buffers, no 2 places at once, no standing in line just to kill time before you can use a Fastpass. It's just a good old fashioned line and either you want to wait or you don't. Like I said I could care less... I don't use Fastpass very often and would rather come back when the park is less crowded.
    Last edited by techskip; 05-31-2009 at 05:44 PM.

Whew ... lots of people talk like they know EVERYTHING about how the FP system works.

Allright, as a CM who has worked on several of the attractions that have been mentioned in this thread I think that FastPass is a necessary evil. On Nemo, despite apparent load times and dispatch times, FP couldn't work because the capacity is just too morbidly low. I know that during opening summer, with all eight subs running we would occasionally get less than half the count of Space. If a ride were to offer FP with counts that low, they would only be able to issue an extremely small amount of fastpasses and then would book out (possibly within the first few hours of operation)

Now, just refrencing Space ... we had a full queue without fastpass running and the wait was 40 minutes. Conversely, with that same amount of queue full with fastpass running the wait is about 75 minutes.

In refrence to BLAB, there is a reason it's closed on certain days now ... it just isnt necessary.

Finally, for TSMM we run into the same issue as Finding Nemo. While the capacity of TSMM is higher than that of Nemo, it still isn't quite to the point where they should offer fastpass. Additionally, if they had offered FP for the ride much more queue would have had to be built and then that logistically becomes a problem when you are building under a roller coaster.

There. I'm done.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by NemoRanger View Post
    Whew ... lots of people talk like they know EVERYTHING about how the FP system works.

Allright, as a CM who has worked on several of the attractions that have been mentioned in this thread I think that FastPass is a necessary evil. On Nemo, despite apparent load times and dispatch times, FP couldn't work because the capacity is just too morbidly low. I know that during opening summer, with all eight subs running we would occasionally get less than half the count of Space. If a ride were to offer FP with counts that low, they would only be able to issue an extremely small amount of fastpasses and then would book out (possibly within the first few hours of operation)

Now, just refrencing Space ... we had a full queue without fastpass running and the wait was 40 minutes. Conversely, with that same amount of queue full with fastpass running the wait is about 75 minutes.

In refrence to BLAB, there is a reason it's closed on certain days now ... it just isnt necessary.

Finally, for TSMM we run into the same issue as Finding Nemo. While the capacity of TSMM is higher than that of Nemo, it still isn't quite to the point where they should offer fastpass. Additionally, if they had offered FP for the ride much more queue would have had to be built and then that logistically becomes a problem when you are building under a roller coaster.

There. I'm done.
    Please don't be done, I would like to hear more from a Cast Member.

• Minion

For all you locals, imagine that you are a tourist, there were no Fastpasses, you come in on a July weekend and you only have 2 days to do both parks and you want to ride as many rides as possible. Don't you wish you had Fastpasses now? Even if the other rides without a FP have slightly longer lines, it doesn't overcompensate for the fact that you are NOT waiting in a two hour line.
    Well, ANYONE who visits any popular activity (except possibly snowboarding/skiing) on a July weekend will just have to suck it up when it comes to crowds. I have no pity for anyone who decides to choose the worst time to take their vacation.

However, IF they limited FP availability to ONLY those days when the park attendance exceeds 50,000, then I could accept it as it may have some benefits. But those visiting on such days would have to expect to:

1. Get an early start even if they want to use the FP.
    2. Expect longer lines (caused in part by the results of FP) where there wouldn't have been under other circumstances.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast