Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

• Minion

FastPass - Will Disney Get Rid of It? The Latest Rumor from the Resort

WARNING!!! RANT ALERT!!! RANT ALERT!!!!

We all know that the crowds at the DL Resort has been steadily increasing over the last couple of years, to the point where Disneyland reaches capacity and must be closed, and that even the parking gets filled to capacity. The parking sucks enough as it is, and now they're going to lose a chunk of it when they start expanding on DCA. But with the free on your birthday, and the increase of annual pass sales, the crowd levels have been getting really high and uncomfortable for some people.

And now it appears, that things are about to get even worse, if Disney does make an even BIGGER mistake, to go along with all the other recent blunders.

So I'm at the DL Resort today, not to take part in the Gumball Rally (which looked really fun btw), but to roam the parks while my wife Becka-Lynn acted as one of the spotters. I never got any interest in the rally, nor did I get a team. But it looked interesting and if I'm around (and a passholder) next year, I just might try out for it. Felt like I ran the rally with the way my feet are screaming right now.

Anyways, during my tour around the parks, I went into DCA to ride Toy Story Mania. I went into the single rider line, because it's supposed to be faster, right? The guy in front of me thought the same thing. The thing was, when the guests in the regular queue would come up to the boarding area, they'd either be an even numbered group or if there were any odd numbers, the cast member doing the loading would ask them if they'd like to have a single rider join them on the ride. Most of them would say no. But after having this process explained to me by our friendly neighborhood photographer Darkbeer (awesome guy by the way - really cool to talk to. Kind of intimidating, "tough guy" look IMO , but he's a kitten! ) He stated to me that awhile back, a father of 2 kids protested having a single rider ride with one of his kids so that's why CM's have to ask guests if they want a single rider with them. So when there are those that say no, the SR's have to wait. We were only in line for about 20 minutes, but when the guy in front of me asked the other cast member about this, and he was explaining about having to ask guests to let a SR with them, I said they really need to put a FastPass on this ride.

He then proceeded to tell me that Disney is going to be getting rid of the FastPass systems on ALL rides, within the next few years. And that TS was the first new ride to not have one. He stated something along the lines of that when a ride has a FastPass running on it, their ride count is a lot lower than it would be if they didn't have FP running on it. As I was getting on the ride, I flat out told him that if Disney does this, it's going to piss off a lot of guests. He reply was something like "Oh well!" This pretty much tells me that Disney is fast becoming the corporate monster, caring less about families and fun, and being more focused on profit.

I was going to go to Guest Relations at the entrance to ask about this. But before getting there, I passed by Darkbeer near the front of the park where they have the Food & Wine Festival tent, and he was taking pictures for the Gumball Rally. I talked to him for a few, like I said earlier he's an awesome guy, and I asked him about what I was told about the FP. He said he hasn't heard anything about them removing it, only about it being "tweaked" and that he thought that when the Mermaid ride opens, it may get FP and that another ride would lose it (like Mullholland Madness). And he said that I basically heard a rumor. Though he said for me not to waste my time at GR to ask about it, I went anyways to try to hear if there was any truth to the rumor. The lady in there simply said she hasn't heard anything like that, so I left it at that and just left.

Rumor or not, I wanted to post it on here, either for damage control, or to start the proverbial wildfire. I don't know about any of you, but I honestly feel that if Disney really does remove the FP from all of their rides that have it, like California Screamin or Space Mountain, they will be making a really BIG mistake!! It is a really convenient advantage for those that visit the park on a busy day, ESPECIALLY those non-annual passholder/multi day pass guests that come for just one day out of 1 to 3+ years to spend the day at the parks. If FP is removed, it would force them to spend the majority of their day waiting in 2 hour lines, which also has to be spent for (getting in the parking structure, getting in the park, walking from point A to point B, watching any shows they want to see, oh and of course EATING!! AND YOU KNOW THAT LINES ARE BAD, WHEN THERE IS A LINE JUST TO GET A FASPASS FOR SPACE MOUNTAIN!!! UGH!!) And we all know that with FP running, the line for Space Mountain is on average 60 to 75 minutes. If FP is removed, that line will go up to 2 hours+. Or guests will just stop coming. A lot of people don't go to the park because it's always so crowded. Granted, the crowd levels kind of disprove that theory. And that's because they currently have the convenience of FastPass. It's because of this, that people still go despite the high level of crowds. But even with that, when people go, while they're at the parks, they're complaining about the crowds and bickering with each other at the end of the night while trying to get on the trams. It's because of Fastpass that makes this headache a little more tolerable, allowing guests to get a few more rides in before they have to leave for home.

If this is simply just a rumor, and there is no truth to it and it will never happen, then that's great. No harm, no foul. But if it's more than just a rumor, if there is some truth to it, then I think that Disney fans everywhere should be ready to take a stand against it. (The guy mentioned the parks in Florida, so they could be doing it there, or are planning on it.) So that's why I'm posting this, to get the word out.

Because what it's all going to boil down to, is that Disney wants to care less about the little man, and care more about getting more bang for their buck. They want to up the sales for their annual passes and 2/3 day passes, trying to convince guests to visit for more than just one day. It just shows me that they care less about the fans, and more about the Benjamins.
    Last edited by AidensDaddy; 05-31-2009 at 12:14 AM.

• Yeah.....

Re: FastPass - Will Disney Get Rid of It? The Latest Rumor from the Resort

*bracing for epic fastpass war*

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

Having to deal with the headache that fastpass is personally.....Not all of his information was true...it actually boosts the ride attendance counts...one draw back to Fastpass is a higher wait time in general and often times more Fastpass than standby...fast pass is here to stay...and Nemo was the first "New" ride to open without a fastpass....just saying

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Didymus View Post
    *bracing for epic fastpass war*
    Bracing for epic merger of this Fastpass thread with this Fastpass thread -- in which 48% of the people in the poll (myself included) voted to dump Fastpass entirely or at least shrink the system's number of rides, vs. 48% who voted to leave it as is or expand the system to additional rides.

Quote Originally Posted by AidensDaddy View Post
    But if it's more than just a rumor, if there is some truth to it, then I think that Disney fans everywhere should be ready to take a stand against it.
    Meaning no disrespect to the poster, if it's more than just a rumor (which I doubt), I hope Disney fans everywhere deluge Disney with emails and letters of approval for removing it. The manner in which Fastpass harms the overall Disney theme park experience is well attested.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 05-31-2009 at 01:07 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I basically see a new fastpass type system that will "replace" the term "fastpass" therefore the CM may be right that "fastpass" could be taken away so that a new system will replace it.

Of course how the hell would a CM find out this very important information over anyone else. That I wonder about.

OH! I just thought of what could replace FastPass. A PAY FASTPASS!

Over at Six Flags, Sea World and Universal Studios they have those "pay extra to skip to the front of the line" pass that Disney has yet to add to their parks.

Could Disney be moving in this new direction!!! I would say yes.
    Last edited by Micoofy Duck; 05-31-2009 at 01:08 AM.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

It's interesting, when Disney first implemented FastPass, people claimed that they were doing it because Disney was being a corporate whore. FastPasses keeping people out of lines and in front of churro carts or in restaurants and merch' shops.

Posters in FastPass threads in the past few years have also blamed FastPass for some of the overcrowding, claiming that if they were in line they wouldn't be out crowding the paths.

Being that when we've had surveys on MiceChat they've turned out an aproximately fifty-fifty split, the jury's still out on this verdict.

I can't draw any sensible conclusion as I'm not across all the facts, it just seems worth pointing out that there's equally convincing arguments from both points of view.

I guess the only way we would know for sure is to have the FastPass system go dark for a couple of months and just see what happens.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    Over at Six Flags, Sea World and Universal Studios they have those "pay extra to skip to the front of the line" pass that Disney has yet to add to their parks.

Could Disney be moving in this new direction!!! I would say yes.

There would be downsides to moving in that direction:
    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    ...it would bring two specific issues with it, both of which are being encountered by Universal now.

The first is a sense of entitlement sometimes seen in Fastpass holders now. A feeling that would only be encouraged if a dollar amount was required for the fastpass. That sense of entitlement would also carry over into those not having fastpass who in turn would feel left out due to their financial standing. In short it would be seen as "haves" and "have nots", placing the CM between them at merge would only add to the friction. The fact that Fastpass is free is used as a "disarming" tactic by current merge CM's. Universal doesn't have that option, and I have heard horror stories from some that work there in regards to this issue.

The second issue is that a service that is paid for is required to be honored. If they are late, or the attraction is down, then those who were unable to ride would complain. You could easily provide all sorts of legal language to get out of it but those who paid would expect that the service be a requirement or their money back. The complaint line would not be pretty if an attraction was down, came back up, and their fastpass was not honored....

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Special Agent

I went into the single rider line, because it's supposed to be faster, right?
    I think they should remove the single rider option on Midway Mania.

He then proceeded to tell me that Disney is going to be getting rid of the FastPass systems on ALL rides, within the next few years.
    I hope that's true. I really don't like Fastpass and wish it would go away.

I honestly don't have a problem with fastpass. Unlike most people, I don't as much time to spend in line as most people here.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Minion

ORDDU: Disneyland got along just fine--and even much better--without the Fast pass system for many years. Putting all guests on equal footing without having to compete for a fast pass makes for a less stressful experience at the parks.

ORWEN: Yeah, so if Fast Pass goes away it'll be almost as nice as if--

ORGOCH: --all yer fast GAS goes away, sister!!

• Sock Puppet

Another week, another Fastpass thread. Hasn't the poor dead horse been beaten enough???

Yes, please, will the fine folks at Disney put an end to the madness and yank out all of the FP machines. PLEASE!

Even though we know how to fully take advantage of the current FP system, I would prefer the first come, first served process of lines.

Oh, and can we have yet ANOTHER poll about the subject?

Enjoy!

• Keepin' it calsteady

This thread is silly rumor-mongering, but I'll indulge it against my better judgment.

Potential Upside for Disneyland without Fastpasses: People (i.e., me) who go on busy days because they know that Fastpasses will allow them to do everything they want would stop going on busy days and instead make the extra effort required to come on slow weekdays instead.

Potential Downside to this scenario: I might not make the extra effort, and end up going to the parks even less often (only about once a year as it is).

• OM NOM NOM

In my opinion, the average park attendee has very limited knowledge of how to truly utilize the fastpass system. As much as I hope that every guest would check our fair website for FP info (or even read the system's description in their park map), most are too bogged down by distractions, ignorance, or just plain stupidity to ever make the most of what the FP system offers.

Years of living in SoCal with an AP in my pocket has taught me how to make the most of a day @ Disneyland. Within the last two years, I think I've only used 2 fastpasses (Indy and Space) and can honestly say that the lack of an expedited boarding system wouldn't bother me in the least.
    Make something Idiot-Proof, and someone will build a better Idiot.

• C4C6C

He stated to me that awhile back, a father of 2 kids protested having a single rider ride with one of his kids so that's why CM's have to ask guests if they want a single rider with them. So when there are those that say no, the SR's have to wait.

Thank God Disney does this. I am sure Disney has its share of pedophiles and such at the park. It is good this parent was thinking, and many others, not to let a stranger sit next to their kids.

• Disneyland Historian

And we all know that with FP running, the line for Space Mountain is on average 60 to 75 minutes. If FP is removed, that line will go up to 2 hours+.
    The queue should actually move faster without Fastpass as the Standy queue is given more of the ride's capacity. The former 60 to 75 minute line should shrink to about 30 to 35 minutes, assuming of course that this lower wait time doesn't entice increased numbers of guests to ride.

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast