Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What existing attractions would you object to if they were added today?

Of all current attractions at Disneyland and DCA, which ones would you object to if they didn't already exist and WDI came out with a plan to build them? I know this if tough because many are so classic that Disneyland wouldn't be the same without them, even if they're not considered top-notch today.

Matterhorn? "We're going to build a replica of a famous mountain and run a rollercoaster through it"

Haunted Mansion? "We're going to build a haunted house where ghosts pop out from behind gravestones and you hear knocking on doors"

IASW? "A slow boat ride with singing dolls"

Note: I wouldn't object of any of these, I just wanted to post examples of iconic attractions.
    Last edited by Mojave; 05-31-2009 at 01:26 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Re: What existing attractions would you object to if they were added today?

It's funny you bring this up because it seems like almost any new ride WDI comes up with the people seem to just want to point out things they don't like about them.

Could you see it now if BTMRR was being built. The story would go something like this:

Disney new wild west roller coaster know as Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is being objected to by PETA which has learned of Disney's careless actions of showing children how to harm animals. PETA spokesman states, "We have learned that Disney's is going to have a goat chewing on dynamite in one of the scenes. We are gearing up now to field the calls when children start blowing up their family pets."
    I agree with you, you can pick out things on any ride. Song of the South has never (I think) been released in the US, however they built Splash Mountain loosely based on this movie. Argue it one way or the other, someone will not like it.

And Fantasyland can be compared to the Pixar thing now. Pixar is invading Disneyland and they aren't Disney. Really they aren't? Many of Walt's original movies weren't his original ideas, he just made the stories into movies. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against the Fantasyland rides, I'm just pointing out what people are complaining about today.

My kids are growing up with Nemo and Pooh, and they love (or at least like) them. If they are still around when my kids have kids they'll take their kids on them and by then Disneyland won't be the same to either of them with these attractions.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

Just wanted to add that by "object", I don't necessarily mean find fault with on moral or other grounds, merely that you wouldn't like the idea or think something better should be built, etc.

• Northwest Disneyphile

I think many of the classic attractions would get criticized. Probably many of the Fantasyland Rides. Not just because they don’t feature original charters and story lines, which seems to be a major argument against newer attractions, but also because they wouldn’t have a cutting edge ride system or advanced Audio Animatronics. I seem to remember reading a lot of criticism when Monsters inc. opened up in DCA. “it’s slow.” “the figures don’t have much motion.”
    Peter Pan is slow and in all of the Fantasyland attractions the figures have hardly any motion. Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride features flats.

Space Mt. would be criticized for just being a rollercoaster.

I’m not saying I would criticize any of them until I got to experience it first hand.
    Broadway Duchess, Darling if you only knew half as much as everybody thinks you do

• Banned User

All the Fantasyland attractions would be rejected by Micechat.

• Northwest Disneyphile

I wrote my response to this thread before I read Padraic’s “fantasyland problem” thread, but it would seem we are making the same point.
    Broadway Duchess, Darling if you only knew half as much as everybody thinks you do

• Choir nerd

I think a lot of us would reject Pirates of the Caribbean, because if it was made now, it would be completely based of the movies.

• The line's too long...

Autopia, a smelly and uncomfortable ride with the absurd "theme" that driving on the freeway is somehow futuristic.

• Northwest Disneyphile

Quote Originally Posted by Noski View Post
    I think a lot of us would reject Pirates of the Caribbean, because if it was made now, it would be completely based of the movies.
    I object. If Pirates was built today how could it be based on the films? The films are based on the attraction and if we are building the attraction how could the films exist?

Unless we’re assuming the versions of the attraction except the Anaheim version had been built and that’s where the film makers got their inspiration.

I'm just having fun with the idea of an alternate time line.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by yensid1987 View Post
    I wrote my response to this thread before I read Padraic’s “fantasyland problem” thread, but it would seem we are making the same point.
    Yeah, I think we're making very similar points. I agree that Fantasyland in general would be rejected by hardcore Disney fans if it were built today.

• Northwest Disneyphile

Quote Originally Posted by Padriac View Post
    ...I agree that Fantasyland in general would be rejected by hardcore Disney fans if it were built today.
    This is a shame. When Disneyland opened Fantasyland had perhaps the best attractions in the park and many of them are still loved.

If WDI took Mr. Toad and some how put it in DCA we would read endless posts about how the bottom line is affecting the overall guest experience.

Don't get me wrong I love Mr. Toad but I love it for 100% sentimental reasons. If tomorrow it was announced that Toad was closing and being replaced with something better, I would be all for it. Unfortunately it seems for many fans nothing will be as good as there memories of an old attraction.
    Last edited by yensid1987; 05-31-2009 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Spelling

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by yensid1987 View Post
    Unfortunately it seems for many fans nothing will be as good as there memories of an old attraction.
    Every old, well-loved attraction started out new. If Disney continually produces output that is more and more impressively enjoyable, most people won't have much to complain about.

• Northwest Disneyphile

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Every old, well-loved attraction started out new. If Disney continually produces output that is more and more impressively enjoyable, most people won't have much to complain about.
    I suppose your right, but how many people do you know who still listen to the music they listened to when they were a teenager because it's "better".
    I'm not saying your wrong, I'm saying we could both be right.

• =)

I suppose it's true that people do tend to get attached to their "first loves" when it comes to theme parks, music, and so forth. But the best way to counter that is to keep upping the ante, year after year!

• Iron-Clad Allie

I'd vigorously object to Innoventions.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast