Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Disney questions???

I just found out that my wonderful Hubby is taking me to Disneyland for 2 days for my birthday in November. Since it is only my 2nd time there and it has been over 4 years since I was there last I have some questions and hope I can get some advice. What are the best places to eat inside Disneyland and Disney California? Is the food at the Blue Bayou worth the cost? How busy is it normally around Veteran's day, it is my b-day that day? and finally, how should we dress for a november day in the park? Heavy jacket or will a hoodie be warm enough? Thank you for all your advice!

• Hakuna Matata!

Re: Disney questions???

the clothes questions might be better to ask when it gets closer. Still a long way off to predict weather

• =)

Yeah, hard to say about the clothes - just check the weather a few days beforehand. In all likelihood, a hoodie and jeans will probably be fine, but it's hard to know this far in advance.

Other people can be more helpful than I in terms of food choices, but I'd say the Blue Bayou is worth it for the ambiance alone. The food is certainly edible enough. Just make sure you make reservations, and ask for a table by the water when you're there!

I really like Boudin Bakery in California adventure. They have good sandwiches and salads. I've eaten salads there a few time. You get a good amount of food for the price you pay...which i definitely a good thing when your at the park. I personally like the dining opportunities better at DCA over Disneyland. BUt thats just me. Sometime i even just go over to dca to eat and then go right back to DL. I haven't eaten at blue bayou since i was very young so i can hardly remember. BUt from what i do remember you are pretty much paying for the ambiance. It is pretty cool to eat "inside" a ride building. But other than that i don't remember being that impressed. It probably has changed though.

Hopfully i offered a little bit of help.

• I'm Wishing...

Aww, that sounds so exciting!! Happy Almost Birthday!

As for food, La Brea Bakery is an AMAZING lunch place right outside of the parks in DD. It's pretty affordable and is just delicious. The Rainforest Cafe isn't the best food wise, but it's a truly fun restaurant. Although the food isn't my first choice, Blue Bayou is a great option just because of the ambiance. It's awesome in there
    If you're looking for something really romantic, Napa Rose in the Grand Californian has the most DELICIOUS food, but it's very pricey.
    In the way of breakfast, if you want the whole character experience, Goofy's and Storyteller's Cafe are both delicious and have the characters walking around So fun!

Weather wise, I'd say a hoodie is okay. It gets a little cold in November, but I don't think you need anything super heavy. I might bring a raincoat and umbrella, too, because it usually sprinkles in November.

Have an amazing time!

• Im a stage Ninja

i take my GF for her B-Day in Nov and we eat at Rain Forest or Blue Bayou, some times both, as for weather a hoodie and jeans but it has been known to rain a little so maybe taking a jacket and leaving it in a locker or hotel maybe good too. so i hope it helps
    This is my Leko their are many like it but this one is mine. With out my Leko i am job less, with out me my Leko is not working

• Banned User

park casual or dressed up is fine at Blue Bayou but you will probably be needing a jacket as it gets cold at night in DLR.

Currently food for New Orleans Square is being made at the Plaza Pavillion and shipped to New Orleans Sqaure restaurants then dishes shipped back to be washed. I would not recommend any New Orleans restaurant until the main kitchen there is working again. Club 33 has a separate kitchen and is not affected.

Usually the food is excellent and I would recommend it but it is per person with tip equal to a chicken dinner with drink at Plaza Inn, cheddarburger with onion rings and drink at Taste Pilot's Grill, hot dog at Coke Corner with chips and drink plus popcorn. If you can afford it and the main kitchen is running then do it. I got a steak dinner with veggies and taters for $20 at plaza inn.

i think you should definitly go to Blue Bayou and also hit up the character breakfast at PLaza inn. YOu can make reservations before teh park opens so that way you can eat without feeling rushed to get to the rides

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

I like Goofy's Kitchen (all you can drink milk, juices and soda).
    We also like Carnation Cafe (they give refills on soda too).
    Love the Friend Chicken at Plaza Inn (and I don't know why, but the string beans are wonderful--maybe a long day made me hungry, but they are great) (yes, you can get all the refills you want)
    I have no prob. w/ Hungry Bear Restaurant, but many do. The eating near the river and away from traffic is really nice (just don't expect refills).
    River Belle Terrace use to have a good breakfast (last time I ate there was during the 50th)

I haven't eaten at BB since they raised the prices and changed the menu.
    When it first re-opened previews were great, so I didn't go back.
    Also haven't gone back to Rancho del Zocalo Restaurante (what, 4 years ago??) ever since they changed the menu. They use to have the best ribs and the best biscuits.

In DCA
    I like Taste Pilots' Grill because you can put your own toppings (toppings bar) your hamburgers.
    I also think the waffle fries are great. Just don't expect refills.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Bonjour Mes Amis

Rosies Bar sipping upon a nice cold Grape Nehi ... pass the pretzels please

Smile Re: Disney questions???

Happy Birthday!

I highly recommend The Blue Bayou. I like to order the Tesoro Island Chicken which is Roasted and finished to perfection in pan au jus. With Blue Bayou potatoes and seasonal vegetables.

For dessert,Tortuga Trio of Cremé Brulee it is Chocolate, passion fruit and vanilla-bean custards, caramelized and served with Brittany cookies.

I will try the Flying Dutchmen Cookie Boat at some point.

Here is a link for their menu:

Disneyland Resort Menus

For Priority Seating, call Disneyland Dining at 714-781-DINE (3463)

One can make a priority seating 60 days out. I highly recommend to make such. It does not have to be that far in advance. However, nothing wrong with doing so, either.

I also very much recommend to ask for water side seating. This is a request that cannot be made by calling Disney Dining, but rather at the time that you check in at the podium at The Blue Bayou. I recommend to do so, at least 20 minutes prior to your p.s.

It is very nice to be able to enjoy the ambiance of the O'l Bayou during the evening, alfresco, while the crickets are singing.
    Especially when it may be during the day, and one is actually dining inside.
    That is how wonderful the dining experience is though, to make one feel like they are dining outside, during the night, in New Orleans. I love it! I believe that you will too.
    Follies of the Living..............Concerns of the Dead

• Disney is home

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy's #1 Gal View Post
    I just found out that my wonderful Hubby is taking me to Disneyland for 2 days for my birthday in November. Since it is only my 2nd time there and it has been over 4 years since I was there last I have some questions and hope I can get some advice. What are the best places to eat inside Disneyland and Disney California? Is the food at the Blue Bayou worth the cost? How busy is it normally around Veteran's day, it is my b-day that day? and finally, how should we dress for a november day in the park? Heavy jacket or will a hoodie be warm enough? Thank you for all your advice!
    Veteran's Day Weekend can get busy to give you a heads up. Don't let that get you down, just prepare yourself by getting fast passes and starting your day in the morning. The Blue Bayou is wonderful to me for the atmosphere, I usually get something real simple when I eat there. If you are ever looking for a quick and tasy bite, definitely go to the Bengal Barbecue in Adventureland. It's my favorite place to eat, but always run into the problem of wanting more.

• Bonjour Mes Amis

Rosies Bar sipping upon a nice cold Grape Nehi ... pass the pretzels please

Bumping! Because it is fun and informative too.
    Follies of the Living..............Concerns of the Dead

• A Weather Eye Open

1: What are the best places to eat inside Disneyland and Disney California?
    It depends on how much you want to spend. I can with confidence advise against the burgers. If you want a burger, leave the parks and get a real good burger.
    I am a cheap girl, so I like to split the chicken pieces or the fish and chips at Golden Horseshoe with my sister, or we get corndogs. The corndogs are some of the best I've ever had! When we like to splurge a little (we are REALLY cheap haha) we get the Tennessee pulled pork BBQ sandwich at the River Belle Terrace.
    Based on quality, I have heard that the sit down places are pretty good, like Carnation Cafe or Cafe Orleans (and they have the Monte Cristo there, which I quite love). In DCA, I recently tried Wine Country Trattoria and was pleased with the food and price (we got the broccoli cheddar soup and some kind of delish chicken sandwich on fancy bread).

2: Is the food at the Blue Bayou worth the cost?
    When I ate there last year, I was delighted by my Monte Cristo and my date's Tresora Island Chicken. We got double potatoes as our sides and they were heavenly! The dessert there is pretty delish as well, but not incredibly fancy.
    I think most on the board would agree that you are paying for the atmosphere and not the food. I've had good service there, personally, but have also heard of some bad service. I'm no expert on gourmet food. I thought it was very yummy, but the price gets to be quite high, and I have been told that the food is not comparable to other restaurants outside the parks in the same price range. That's the way it always is with food in the parks though!
    I think a great option for people who really want to experience Blue Bayou but are wary of paying the high price for less than gourmet food is for you to go but just order dessert. I surprised my sister with that as a treat once when she visited! We lingered and enjoyed the atmosphere and feasted on our very filling desserts (after a full meal there you wouldn't have room for dessert anyway!) and it was lovely and still affordable.

3: How busy is it normally around Veteran's day, it is my b-day that day?

I recall that in the past couple of years we see an uptick in the crowds on Veteren's day, but I think it'd be about as crowded as a warm spring Saturday. That is to say, pretty crowded, but easy to prepare for and it won't ruin your day. Thanksgiving sometimes gets pretty busy too. The real lull comes in the weekends after Thanksgiving in early December, and as the month progresses they get more and more holiday crowds, culminating with a packed park on New Years. If you're worried about crowds, the best advice I can give is to learn how to use the fastpass system to your advantage by reading out fastpass thread. Even on the crowdedest days, you can still see every attraction you'd like to without feeling too rushed, especially with an early morning and a little bit of planning.

4: And finally, how should we dress for a november day in the park?

I'm a cold girl, myself. I'm too temperature sensitive. I'll be shivering in the park even when bundled up like I'm in Siberia. So if you run hot, you could probably dress a little lighter than me and be snuggly.
    I'd wear jeans with socks and boots, a t shirt or top, a cardigan, and my wool trench coat. Probably a fuzzy hat too, and it if I was going to stay past sundown, I'd bring a scarf and gloves. Not dressed like I'm going skiing or to London in January or anything. But it's all about layers.
    Even in November we can have some bizzarely hot, sunny days. I think down here it's incredibly unpredictable! I live in Orange, next to Anaheim, and the weather channel website is always wrong. So you should still pack some T-shirts, watter bottles, etc, just in case you end up with a weird warm weekend. Thanksgiving year before last, my family visited and I wore a coat, but it got HOT HOT HOT and sunny. But that night I was glad for my coat and hat.
    I tend to think of the average November day here as mostly clear and sunny, but still cool and possibly pretty windy (I hate that darn wind!). Evening and night will almost definitely be chilly, no matter what the day was like. I still get cold at night in the summer here, because there's no humidity to keep us warm. You might even get some fog rolling in late at night before park close. It's very romantic but sometimes very cold!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Here's my 2 cents

Foodwise I'd advise to eat cheap in the Park and spend your money on quality food at DTD and the Hotels. Corn dog and chips 6 bucks for lunch in DL. If you're in DCA check out the chilli burger at Taste Pilots. A month ago we had a horrible experience at the Blue Bayou both food and service and for $125, thank you very much, so I'm thumbs down (and always will be) on that one.
    DTD we love Catal and the Jazz Kitchen for dinner. In the hotels Steakhouse 55 (hate that name change!) is very good. The Napa Rose is the tops but, if you do the whole thing (appetizer, bottle of wine, main course, dessert, port) be prepared for at least $100 per person. however, the service and style will blow you away, its a great experience.
    Weatherwise? spin the wheel, it SoCal and who knows?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• Waiting for fireworks...

Don't forget to pick up a churro!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast