Thread: AP Question

Talking AP Question

Be forewarned....I am long-winded!!

Hi all,

We just got back from our Disneyland trip a few weeks ago. My fiancee hadn't been since he was 4 yo (1979) and I hadn't been since I was about 10 (1988). LOTS has changed since then.

When I first booked the trip my fiancee was all "disneyland is for kids, there are a million other places we could go."

But, I persevered and by the end of the first day he was asking when we were going to be coming back

We had an absolute blast and he is totally hooked.

We are planning on coming back in October 2010, for a week. It will be for our honeymoon. While we were there a few weeks ago we wandered through the Grand Californian and the Disney Hotel grounds, and I have been thinking that as this next trip will be for our honeymoon, I would really, really like to stay at one of the those.

I noticed that AP holders get a 10% discount at the hotels, as well as a lot of places inside DL & CA. As we would be down for 6 or 7 nights, 10% of at the GC or the DH could end up saving us close to $200.

So I am thinking I might get us APs, mostly for the discount (but also because I could probably convice him to go back in May 2011 as well.......we have an obscene amount of Airmiles saved, so flights are close to free...and if we have APs and won't have to by tickets, he can't possibly say no).

So, here is my question:

If I want to book a room at an AP discount, do I need to quote the AP number right away? Or just show the card when I check in? This is important because if I want to get use out for more than one trip, I won't be purchasing it until a month or so before we leave for October.......although, I will of course want to book the rooms a few months in advance.

If I can get two trips out of the Deluxe APs we will most certainly be getting our money's worth. Heck, DL will practically being paying me to come there!!

Thank you all

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Re: AP Question

I'd let them know right away, when booking the reservation. But, more importantly, is they usually run extra-special discount programs for APs a couple times a year. They're usually during the slower times of year, but offer more than 10%. Quite a bit more.

But, you'd need to know the discount code for the promotion when you make the reservation. If you don't know it, they won't give you the discount. But, where do you get this code, you may wonder? From the DL AP website. There's a "specials" page that will list the current promotions, including the hotel discount.

• Sock Puppet

We stay on property all of the time and we have never been asked our AP number when booking the rooms.

Heck, they hardly ask for it when we check in! (but lately they have been)

And when they have AP rate promotions, they are always more than the listed 10% discount. The 10% is typically off of the "rack rate" and hardly anyone pays that anyway.

Enjoy!

Thank you both for your responses

It just gives me something to think about when planning.

As we would be going at the begginning of October and the beggining of May, which I think are slower times....I wonder if there will be extra special discounts then????? I sure hope so, that would be great

• Sock Puppet

Yes, in recent times thay have had AP specials during those months.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Might I also recommend an off-site hotel? It's only a 5-10 minute walk from the Main Entry Plaza, and was absolutely wonderful when we stayed! It's the Carousel Inn and Suites. However, I must add, that we stayed in a "Club Level" room, which is bigger, and much nicer, than the standard rooms. The rooms were clean, the service was great, the beds were comfortable and the rooms were quiet. I mean dead quiet. That was one of the best features!

We got the room at a big discount. It was just an online promotion they had going on. But, the prices are probably at least half as much as the Grand Californian Hotel. We'll stay there again, if we plan another multi-day trip, no question.

For the May trip, I would be totallyl down with an offsite hotel. We stayed at the HoJo when we were there a few weeks ago, it was great.

Just for the October "Honeymoon" trip I was wanting something really special. I am a bit of a Disney nut

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I completely understand. Heck, I think we all do, here.

• Jeanne, like the lamp!

my husband and i got married on halloween 07 and went to the DLR for a week too
    though most will say GC i loved being at the Disneyland hotel, it helped us feel the magic of it all!
    usually though we just stay at off site hotels, usually the anaheim plaza hotel. and YES we are disney nuts, just not ones made of money and thats where we make our compromises to be able to visit more often

and they lived happily ever after

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Kristine30 View Post
    Be forewarned....I am long-winded!!

Hi all,

We just got back from our Disneyland trip a few weeks ago. My fiancee hadn't been since he was 4 yo (1979) and I hadn't been since I was about 10 (1988). LOTS has changed since then.

When I first booked the trip my fiancee was all "disneyland is for kids, there are a million other places we could go."

But, I persevered and by the end of the first day he was asking when we were going to be coming back

We had an absolute blast and he is totally hooked.

We are planning on coming back in October 2010, for a week. It will be for our honeymoon. While we were there a few weeks ago we wandered through the Grand Californian and the Disney Hotel grounds, and I have been thinking that as this next trip will be for our honeymoon, I would really, really like to stay at one of the those.

I noticed that AP holders get a 10% discount at the hotels, as well as a lot of places inside DL & CA. As we would be down for 6 or 7 nights, 10% of at the GC or the DH could end up saving us close to $200.

So I am thinking I might get us APs, mostly for the discount (but also because I could probably convice him to go back in May 2011 as well.......we have an obscene amount of Airmiles saved, so flights are close to free...and if we have APs and won't have to by tickets, he can't possibly say no).

So, here is my question:

If I want to book a room at an AP discount, do I need to quote the AP number right away? Or just show the card when I check in? This is important because if I want to get use out for more than one trip, I won't be purchasing it until a month or so before we leave for October.......although, I will of course want to book the rooms a few months in advance.

If I can get two trips out of the Deluxe APs we will most certainly be getting our money's worth. Heck, DL will practically being paying me to come there!!

Thank you all
    Just make sure the AP that you purchase does get you that discount... Some AP are only allowed to be used in certain areas depending on which one you have.

• Mortals pay a token fee.

Also, be aware of the first weekend of October. (You said the beginning of October, so not sure what dates you'll be visiting)

The first weekend of October is typically Gay Days and as far as I'm aware, the hotels book out. So you may want to be wary of making sure a hotel room will still be available if you plan on not getting the passes until later. Anyhow, you're planning on visiting next May, and if you don't have any trips planned after that point, what's wrong with getting one now?

Also, remember that Costco is selling Deluxe Passes for $269 (each), and each includes a *free* $50 gift card that you can use on park purchases, other ticket media, and I would assume hotel stays.

Hope that helps!