Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How about some fishing? They have it at WDW.

Ok, so after returning from the park on Sunday, I thought to myself what is there for boys to do? They sissified the tree house, the shooting gallery is still there and relevant (could be .22's like back in the day), there still is the cannon shot on the sail boat, kids can request to ride up front with the engineer on the train...
    It just seems that the park is catered to girls, hair wraps, face painting, the boutique shops, a lot of the merch, etc...

Maybe they could stock a pond and let kids fish?
    I don't like strollers, kids on leashes or ecv's. Yeah, I'm a jerk like that. But I am pro musket cap gun at D Land.

• We Go On.

Re: How about some fishing? They have it at WDW.

They are going to begin a Jack Sparrow Pirate Tutorial- I'm not sure if that's only at WDW or DLR too. I'm pretty sure it's coming here. But it's probably for the younger kids. Fishing is a good idea- they used to have it on Tom Sawyer Island, but then the problem was its stench. And now Fantasmic is in the Rivers of America, so who knows when someone will reel up a fountain or pipe system.

• Collision speed....FULL!

I don't know how they do it in WDW, but there's a reason why they took it out of DL in the first place.

You catch a fish, then what do you do with it? Most people threw them in the trash, leaving a stinky fly infested trash can.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I have two boys and they've never been at a loss for something to do at DL.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom View Post
    I have two boys and they've never been at a loss for something to do at DL.

THANK YOU!!!

Yikes, if parents can't find anything for their sons to do at the Park, it's not the Park's fault...

And the fishing experience at WDW is TOTALLY different than the old Catfish Cove fishing on TSI. You get your own bass fishing guide/boat and fish from a real lake. We've done it twice now and it is a blast!

Enjoy! (well, at least try to)

• Circle of Ancients

WDW = 47 square miles
    Disneyland = about 300 acres

I think that pretty much answers the question.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    WDW = 47 square miles

WDW = in a swamp
    DL = in a desert
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

I do think there should be more 'boy' activities. I mean, they've closed off and discontinued a lot of activities for boys and several girly additions have popped up, but fishing isn't that great of an idea.

• Quality not quantity

Quote Originally Posted by lakewood View Post
    Ok, so after returning from the park on Sunday, I thought to myself what is there for boys to do? They sissified the tree house, the shooting gallery is still there and relevant (could be .22's like back in the day), there still is the cannon shot on the sail boat, kids can request to ride up front with the engineer on the train...
    It just seems that the park is catered to girls, hair wraps, face painting, the boutique shops, a lot of the merch, etc...

Maybe they could stock a pond and let kids fish?
    Back in the day, the shooting gallery did have real pellets fired by air power, but it NEVER had actual .22 caliber bullets.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

maybe they could!...but isn't that great idea!....
    my heart is yours

• Quality not quantity

I could see it in conjunction with a restaurant like the old Fisherman's Lodge in LA. They had (have?) a stocked stream where you could fish and then they would cook up your catch.

It sure beats carrying a load of fish around the park, in say August.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The fishing at WDW is catch and release. You have the fun of catching the fish, but not the worry of what to do with it.

• Closed Account

I see your point about the loss of some "boy" aspects, but I've always argued that Disneyland from its inception was a predominately male-oriented experience. And why not? The place was designed from the ground up by a predominately (of not wholly) male staff led by a male with very masculine life experiences.

On Main Street we have trains, magic shops, fire engines, cars, buses, cannons;

In Adventureland we have jungle launches, ancient temples, shrunken heads, spears, snakes, lots of skulls, a (sissified) treehouse - but a treehouse nonetheless; guns.

In Frontierland/NOS we have pirates, steam boats, square-riggers, haunted mansions, trains, rafts, islands, caves, another tree houses formerly a fort, canoes; runaway mine trains, old west towns, cannons (again).

In Tomorrowland, we have rockets, submarines, more rockets, Star Wars rockets, light sabers, more shooting, cars, trains, mad scientists..

Fantasyling is slightly more geared towards girls, but we still have: A medieval fortress (also known as a castle) with castellated battlements and loopholes for crossbows and the like; pirate ships, whales, bobsleds, swords in stones, more trains. Of course, there's also Snow White and Alice and a carousel.

Toontown is almost Gender Neutral, but we still have trains, fireworks, fire engines, gas stations and cars, boats, a jail, and lots of gags that probably work better with the younger male set.

While it's certain that girls can and do enjoy almost everything DL has to offer, I think in the past - and even now - it leans more to the masculine than the feminine.

• Circle of Ancients

I totally agree Steve.

Many of the recent additions have been catering to girls (the princess meet and greet at the FL Theatre, Pixey Hollow and the Boutique). But that's just because the girls were WAY behind the boys.

Think about all of the Star Wars stuff in TL. Think about all the stuff in the Indy store, Buzz Store, etc. Mostly geared towards boys.

Granted, many things that are "masculine" are also acceptible for girls to do as well (Star Wars, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    WDW = 47 square miles

A fishing pond does not have to be that huge, hell bass pro shops has trout in a stream inside of a store... They even got them to breed none the less.
    I don't like strollers, kids on leashes or ecv's. Yeah, I'm a jerk like that. But I am pro musket cap gun at D Land.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast