Finding Nemo II -- idea for new ride

the long slow line at the Finding Nemo Submarine attraction got me thinking about how it could have been made better. I like the ride, but when you get past the experience of going into the submarine and being underwater you are basically watching a show through a small porthole. I have actually heard people say that it was just a flat panel display in front of each porthole instead of an actual underwater view. and the existing subs just take too long to load and unload.

I have seen the alternate show for people that can't access the subs. except for the experience of going into the sub I can say that you don't miss that much and the large screen is better than the small port hole.

so here is my idea for Finding Nemo II. use a Star Tours type simulator. the interior would be submarine themed with a main screen in front and maybe a few side and overhead porthole screens. the queue could be themed as a scientific research ship with the passengers loading onto mini subs (the simulator). instead of just sliding sideways, the mini sub will take you on a roller coaster ride in the EAC, through a mine field, into a jelly fish swarm and to the bottom of the ocean. this could also be an attraction that could have two versions with one being toned down for smaller kids and those that might want a milder experience.

this wouldn't fit in at the current site so the new ride would be in California Adventure. maybe next to Monsters Inc.

• "I Break Things"

Re: Finding Nemo II -- idea for new ride

My only complaint is that part of the draw of going on Subs was being in a Sub... it was the experience of self discovery and being able to imagine yourself in the depths of the ocean on an actual submarine.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Banned User

I think smaller simulator type rides might be more fun for a Nemo type ride because the subs are so under...used? I mean, there's a lot of potential for submarines...I'd almost rather them base the ride off of Atlantis as far as using it for an expedition goes, even though I know the time period is all wrong for TL. But back to your idea, I'd rather not see another attraction that's basically the same thing as the sub ride, so unless you're proposing a removal/retheme of the subs in addition to your ride, it seems kind of redundant.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I think it should start out like normal, from the dock, but *oh no!* something goes wrong, and we turn left! We end up going through Yamabuki and finding nemo... on a plate, served atop a bed of rice, with pickled ginger and wasabi on the side.

j/k

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    My only complaint is that part of the draw of going on Subs was being in a Sub... it was the experience of self discovery and being able to imagine yourself in the depths of the ocean on an actual submarine.
    I agree with you. I like the subs too. I purposely didn't say anything about the existing attraction because I didn't have an idea that might work.

The main problem with the subs is its low capacity. Before Nemo they were overlooked, with Nemo they can't keep up with the demand.

one thought that I had was to increase the capacity by having separate loading and unloading areas. I don't know if that could be accomplished in the current space and the sub complex is hemmed in on all sides so there is nowhere to expand.

Another was turning the subs into a prelude where you would load at the current location, go through the falls, unload at the main attraction, then exit by foot. just don't have an idea what the main attraction would be, also, again, there is no space to expand.