Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Recent Health Dept Inspection Results

The health dept has posted results for some recent inspections at the Resort. Including some complaints by guests...

Not surprisingly, the violations consisting of:

Unsanitary equipment;
    Improper food holding temperatures;
    Improper food storage;
    Inappropriate sanitizer levels;
    and the ever present "Evidence of Vermin" lead the pack in violations.

Click here for the results: (If you dare! )

HCA - Food Protection Program - Food Facility Inspection Details

Comparitively speaking, maybe worrying about the refilling of popcorn buckets isn't such a big deal after all???

Bon Apetite!

• Banned User

Re: Recent Health Dept Inspection Results

Yikes! I've totally seen rats/mice around Ranch del Z...whatever before and got totally grossed out.

• =)

Urgh. I'm glad I avoid eating too much food from inside the park. Maybe I'll do PBJ for every meal tomorrow after all...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I've never gotten sick while in the parks. I don't know anyone personally, either, who's gotten sick from the food.

• Disneyland History Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Urgh. I'm glad I avoid eating too much food from inside the park. Maybe I'll do PBJ for every meal tomorrow after all...
    Mmm. Or peanut butter and banana.

I'm no expert, but I imagine that it's defininitely not an easy feat for a place as large as the Disneyland Resort to be 100% perfect when it comes to such inspections. There's bound to be unwanted animals here and there, and as far as temperature of food goes, well, that varies with people's tastes. What's cold for someone else might be just right for me, etc.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

How dirty does the Blue Bayou have to be to have evidence of vermin on inspection day?

OUTINE INSPECTION
    4/21/2009
    Evidence of Vermin Activity/Presence of Animals

Improper Holding Temperatures of PHF

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

It's not so much about personal preferences, with food temps, as it is what's a safe temp. to keep bacteria from growing, or the food spoiling.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    Mmm. Or peanut butter and banana.
    Not for me!

I'm no expert, but I imagine that it's defininitely not an easy feat for a place as large as the Disneyland Resort to be 100% perfect when it comes to such inspections.
    True, but if you look at the individual reports, you'll find that basically all the major establishments were cited for at least minor issues. And most really were quite minor, but still. It's not as if there was just one incident that happened in one restaurant or something.

as far as temperature of food goes, well, that varies with people's tastes. What's cold for someone else might be just right for me, etc.
    But certain standards need to be met during storage and preparation just to keep the food safe. What temperature the guests want it served at is irrelevant - middle-range temperatures that aren't particularly hot or cold can lead to spoilage and food poisoning.

• Mortals pay a token fee.

As someone who has had a lot of experience in the restaurant field, and know more about these types of reports, let me set a few things straight off the bat.

These are typical reports for any restaurant you visit, and comparably really not that bad to most establishments we visit on a normal day. The health department visits food service locations in order to find things that are done wrong and it wouldn't be a proper health department inspection if there isn't at least one thing wrong. The health department can be really strict on things and sometimes unfair. (I've seen a restaurant in LA get a "C" on their visit, only because there was a burnt out light bulb in their walk in refrigerator) It's unfortunate that these reports don't have percentages as a normal report is usually in the low to mid 90s for ALL restaurants. Typically, even if it falls into the 80s, it's usually not as bad as you think. You only really need to begin to worry if the health department actually shuts down a restaurant (like they did with the AMC theaters a few months ago).

If you're really concerned about these reports, the things I would be looking for are the items listed in RED. These are typically much higher health issues which knock the restaurant severely (the improper food temperature at Club 33 does worry me). Though as with any reports, take it all with a grain of salt. Mistakes happen, and the Health Department is there to catch these mistakes. They are extremely harsh on their grading, and for good reason. Orange county doesn't have a letter grading system, but I would be sure that any Disneyland food service location would have an "A" rating.

There's nothing out of the ordinary here.

Edit: As my roommate just pointed out, the violation for Club 33 was probably at the salad bar. Those things suck to keep at the right temperature!
    Last edited by TheGrimGrinner; 06-01-2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Just realized....

• =)

Thanks for your input, TheGrimGrinner. It's appreciated. Yeah, to someone like me with no expertise in food preparation, most of the items I looked at seemed relatively minor...one fly buzzing around, a back door left open, stuff like that. As you said, if there were no issues in the report whatsoever, it'd probably be indicative that the health department were doing a bad job.

• I'm a fiddle player......

Ive seen rats and mice at dland and dca everytime I go. People even take pictures of them.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimGrinner View Post
    Orange county doesn't have a letter grading system
    Umm... then why have I seen letter ratings at the restaurants?

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    Yikes! I've totally seen rats/mice around Ranch del Z...whatever before and got totally grossed out.
    We live in a world full of creatures (ever seen "It's Tough to be a Bug?") and they are everywhere. They are doing their best to survive and a place as large as Disneyland will have mice, rats, cats and bugs. It's one thing to see them crawling around outside (they're probably eating your trash), but quite another for them to be living in the kitchen (which is what they're looking for).

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    I'm no expert, but I imagine that it's defininitely not an easy feat for a place as large as the Disneyland Resort to be 100% perfect when it comes to such inspections. There's bound to be unwanted animals here and there, and as far as temperature of food goes, well, that varies with people's tastes. What's cold for someone else might be just right for me, etc.
    Precisely

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    How dirty does the Blue Bayou have to be to have evidence of vermin on inspection day?
    "Inspection Day" is at random and unknown to the restaurants. It's possible that said restaurant could be as clean as possible and they do a thourough scrub down every two hours, and they could still get this violation. I've seen this violation received for salt an pepper on the floor. It can be hard to tell! It's an easy violation for the Health Department to give and is seen often. It usually doesn't have a lot of backing to it and is just more of a "be careful" to the restaurant. I'm pretty sure Disney uses EcoLab for their vermin control, which is an EXCELLENT company.

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    Umm... then why have I seen letter ratings at the restaurants?
    This is what Orange County posts. LA has blue letters.

http://www.ocfoodinfo.com/pass/index.htm

Edit: Oops! Those are the new ones to come out in October! The current ones still look similar though. They just don't have the bold letters. A restaurant either has a pass, or they don't. All Disney food service locations should have this placard in public view...

Also, all inspections are public record and can be viewed at the restaurant upon request. If you're ever wary of a food service location, just ask to see the most recent report, and they should be able to answer any questions that you may have.

• "I Break Things"

Grim, I just want to say thank you for taking the time to explain everything. I see a letter, read the official comments, and that's about it. What I read, and what actually happened may be 2 different things... as you said it could be a very strict inspector... so again thank you for taking the time to explain everything.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast