Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 44 of 44
  1. #31

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,454

    Re: Too Crowded a simple idea

    Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Exactly, and see what we get.


    Why am I being scrutinized? I understand that you know, yet our friend Magnus here just thinks it is so easy...
    Sorry, but your comment was a little over the top and you kind of picked on the OP for using the word simple and took in to mean something I don't think he intended. I know that in that comment Magnus was making it sound easy, but I think he was being facecious, because it would be silly for anyone to really think an enterprize of the size of a Disney park wouldn't be complex. On the other hand the fact is that many of DCA's concepts were pretty much whipped together rather quickly, and used so many cloned attractions from WDW, so he has a reason for the comment. There really wasn't as much thought or care put into DCA as there should have been.

    In any case, I think the OP was not meaning that actually developing a good third gate was a simple proposition, but that the idea itself pretty much is. I think it is a pretty simple idea that once DCA is mostly built-out and established as a solid park that the next step to alleviate the crowding at the parks and best support overall growth for DLR would be to add a third gate.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

  2. #32

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    543

    Re: Too Crowded a simple idea

    You want simple examples? The new monorail was way too simple for an upgrade.

  3. #33

    • Shag lover
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    164

    Re: Too Crowded a simple idea

    Here's a simple solution to cope with over-crowding at the parks...

    1. Double the cost of all annual passports.
    2. Remove the payment plan option.
    3. Remove the parking option.
    4. Charge $30 for single-occupant cars.
    5. Charge $25 for double-occupant cars.
    6. Charge $12 for 3 or more per car.

    That takes care of over-crowding AND the parking situation in one fell swoop, with the added bonus of milking the AP crowd for more cash.
    Coming on a whirlwind trip 12/4 and 12/5 just to see the holiday decorations. Hope the park isn't too full of spoiled mall-goers to enjoy!

  4. #34

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,454

    Re: Too Crowded a simple idea

    Quote Originally Posted by tikicub View Post
    Here's a simple solution to cope with over-crowding at the parks...

    1. Double the cost of all annual passports.
    2. Remove the payment plan option.
    3. Remove the parking option.
    4. Charge $30 for single-occupant cars.
    5. Charge $25 for double-occupant cars.
    6. Charge $12 for 3 or more per car.

    That takes care of over-crowding AND the parking situation in one fell swoop, with the added bonus of milking the AP crowd for more cash.
    Yep, no more overcrowding, no more crowds at all. I honesly think they'd be out of business in a year, the business model has become dependent on APs and a change like this would require a fundamental change in the way the park operated to a model that I'm not sure is sustainable anymore, and certainly not as proffitable as the one they are using now.

    Anyone who needs to use a payment plan to buy something that's only a few hundred dollars does not have that much money to milk. The way Disney makes money off APs is largely through sales, if you put in a policy that makes it too expensive to park, few people would even bother with one. Not to mention how many people would simply see the $30 sign, turn around and never come back to the DLR. I agree that the AP pricing should be increased, but twice the current amount is ridiculous, and they need to provide enough parking to accomodate the amount of guests it requires to keep both parks profitable, period. Not charge a ridiculous price that would alienate much of the public.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

  5. #35

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    543

    Re: Too Crowded a simple idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Yep, no more overcrowding, no more crowds at all. I honesly think they'd be out of business in a year, the business model has become dependent on APs and a change like this would require a fundamental change in the way the park operated to a model that I'm not sure is sustainable anymore, and certainly not as proffitable as the one they are using now.

    Anyone who needs to use a payment plan to buy something that's only a few hundred dollars does not have that much money to milk. The way Disney makes money off APs is largely through sales, if you put in a policy that makes it too expensive to park, few people would even bother with one. Not to mention how many people would simply see the $30 sign, turn around and never come back to the DLR. I agree that the AP pricing should be increased, but twice the current amount is ridiculous, and they need to provide enough parking to accomodate the amount of guests it requires to keep both parks profitable, period. Not charge a ridiculous price that would alienate much of the public.
    Thats true, passes are here to stay at increased prices sadly.

  6. #36

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    4,272

    Re: Too Crowded a simple idea

    Why would anyone think Disney wants the park less crowded? Pretty bad business on there part then.

  7. #37

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,374

    Re: Too Crowded a simple idea

    Quote Originally Posted by tikicub View Post
    Here's a simple solution to cope with over-crowding at the parks...

    1. Double the cost of all annual passports.
    2. Remove the payment plan option.
    3. Remove the parking option.
    4. Charge $30 for single-occupant cars.
    5. Charge $25 for double-occupant cars.
    6. Charge $12 for 3 or more per car.

    That takes care of over-crowding AND the parking situation in one fell swoop, with the added bonus of milking the AP crowd for more cash.
    re: #1 -------: re: #2 ------- not necessarily remove the payment plan option, but make it possible for those who prefer not to use a credit card to participate in the plan re: #3 ------- not necessarily remove the parking option, but have it coincide with the blockout dates. re: #4-------- : re: #5---------$15 for double occupant cars re: #6---------cars with 3 persons or more----$5

  8. #38

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,454

    Re: Too Crowded a simple idea

    Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Why would anyone think Disney wants the park less crowded? Pretty bad business on there part then.
    Well, I certainly want the park to be successful, and pricing is always a very tricky business, but for Disney to do the best it does not necessarily mean overly packed parks or overly cheap admission. Ideally the parks would as consistently as possible be at an optimum efficiency, which would likely mean pretty full, but with everything flowing smoothly, reasonable wait times and per guest spending high. If people are not happy it will effect the long term performance of the park, but there are short term consequences to being overly busy too. At some point you really start to hurt income as lines for ODVs and food become long and stores become overly full, all causing guests to spend less. And guests end up spending more time in lines for rides and not spending money as well. There's also a lot more wear and tear caused on really busy days and thus maintenance needs.

    The good thing about APs is that it gives Disney a way to manage the attendance numbers and keep the park closer to the optimal number of guests by how they choose block-out days. Now with the new AP pricing, I think it's possible that they have overcrowded the park on some days to the point that is is not functioning optimally. I of course don't have the data, but I would not be surprised to see a price hike for APs or some adjustments to the block-out days.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

  9. #39

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Jose, Ca... in the North Cal.
    Posts
    445

    Re: Too Crowded a simple idea



    E-ticket at the 3rd Gate... that would be cool. Totally depends on the success of the movie though. Probably would turn out like Indy, but I'm totally in favor of a ride experience like that.

  10. #40

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,454

    Re: Too Crowded a simple idea

    I had a prince of persia ride planned in a third gate plan I've been working on for a while for fun. Although, I also had been thinking about an Aladdin E-ticket and a original Mummy based E-ticket for the same land, so that might be a bit much for one land. I could definitely see them doing a PoP ride if the film is a hit, which I think it will be.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

  11. #41

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Jose, Ca... in the North Cal.
    Posts
    445

    Re: Too Crowded a simple idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I had a prince of persia ride planned in a third gate plan I've been working on for a while for fun. Although, I also had been thinking about an Aladdin E-ticket and a original Mummy based E-ticket for the same land, so that might be a bit much for one land. I could definitely see them doing a PoP ride if the film is a hit, which I think it will be.
    haha well lets see. If there is an Aladdin Ride, A MUmmy Ride, A PoP ride, and JC and INdy move over there, than yes that would be alot.

    IM jsut joking about those last two. BUt yes i think they could do variations of al three rides you suggested successfully but make sure at least one of the three is not an E-ticket. Like do an alladin DR, an original Mummy/Egypt themed ride, and then the PoP could be the gem of the area as the E-ticket.

  12. #42

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Jose, Ca... in the North Cal.
    Posts
    445

    Re: Too Crowded a simple idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I had a prince of persia ride planned in a third gate plan I've been working on for a while for fun. Although, I also had been thinking about an Aladdin E-ticket and a original Mummy based E-ticket for the same land, so that might be a bit much for one land. I could definitely see them doing a PoP ride if the film is a hit, which I think it will be.
    What were your ideas for a PoP ride? Would it be similar to Indy?

  13. #43

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,454

    Re: Too Crowded a simple idea

    It would have been very simmilar and very different at the same time, but I was also waiting to see the film too before I really nailed down the idea. I had been thinking about some type of chariot ride through busy Persian city streets, but I really hadn't developed the ideas that much. I was thinking simulated outdoor scenes inside under controled conditions with some projected backdrops to give a sense of depth to the sets. I also was thinking about some really advanced AA things that would be possible if Disney pushed the envelope. I'd love to see two AAs sword fight and with the complaince technology Disney has now they could do some awesome stuff. I'd love to see it become a pirates-like experience, but with more action and adventure that should be possible with today's technology.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

  14. #44

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Jose, Ca... in the North Cal.
    Posts
    445

    Re: Too Crowded a simple idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    It would have been very simmilar and very different at the same time, but I was also waiting to see the film too before I really nailed down the idea. I had been thinking about some type of chariot ride through busy Persian city streets, but I really hadn't developed the ideas that much. I was thinking simulated outdoor scenes inside under controled conditions with some projected backdrops to give a sense of depth to the sets. I also was thinking about some really advanced AA things that would be possible if Disney pushed the envelope. I'd love to see two AAs sword fight and with the complaince technology Disney has now they could do some awesome stuff. I'd love to see it become a pirates-like experience, but with more action and adventure that should be possible with today's technology.
    That sounds awesome. Id really like to see disney push the envelope too with AA's I think they could. Though i dont really like the Jack Sparrow AA's thematically in POC, they are quite amazing on their own. I can only imagine what they could do if an entire show was created using this tech. I also like the idea of a simulated outdoor effect. kinda like the beginning of pirates. They could do something ala Blue Bayou and it would be amazing. (obviously a different cultural cuisine)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. [Idea] Good Idea or Bad Idea? Live Mermaids part of The Little Mermaid Ride Que
    By Micoofy Duck in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 07-09-2008, 11:45 AM
  2. A simple idea for UOE...
    By horizonsfan92 in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-07-2007, 07:54 PM
  3. TS Island's Pirate Re-Theme: Good Idea? Bad Idea? (merged threads)
    By Gemini Cricket in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 352
    Last Post: 10-12-2006, 10:12 PM
  4. Replies: 138
    Last Post: 06-25-2006, 12:31 PM
  5. help....as simple as that
    By Nephythys in forum Gibson Girls
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-06-2005, 09:40 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •