Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Re: 2009 Disneyland Half-Marathon Weekend!

My son runs in the Kid Race every year. I think this year might be his last year, so I might have to start getting in shape so we can do the Family 5K next year.
    <o>

• Disneylander

This will be my third Dland half. The part I like best is when we go for beignets (fried donut thingys) in Downtown Disney directly after the race and pretend we finished faster than we did. And the medals and the shirts are fun too. My friends and I wear Tigger ears, and call ourselves Team Tigger, so if you see us - cheer loudly.

This year we are staying the whole week so we can do the race and go to D23 Expo.

Quote Originally Posted by pixie chick View Post
    My son runs in the Kid Race every year. I think this year might be his last year, so I might have to start getting in shape so we can do the Family 5K next year.
    No Half for me this year with a newborn in the mix, but possibly the 5K just for fun. How exactly do the kids races work? Our older daughter will be four in September and we were thinking about signing her up. Where exactly are they held? And do the kids get hardware or shirts too?

• Boat shoes all day long

It sure is swell to see MiceChat getting involved in events like these! I will be heading down September 3rd-September 8th to get in some quality park time and a little fitness. For those of you who have been putting on the miles, I would recommend running the 5K and the Half Marathon. The 5K is a great way to get warmed up for the race the following day. You may be thinking, “But I walked around the park all day the day before?” While many of the same muscles used in walking are used in running, there are a few that are never tested when we are moving about in our standard walking strides. Just a helping hand my friends.

Sadly missing the half in 2006, I was able to make it for 2007 and 2008 and had a ball! You will too! Here are a couple of pointers to help you get to the starting line in the right mind and through the finishing gate with arms aloft:

2-3 days prior:

• Arrive a couple days prior if possible. This gives your body time to get used to the temperature and humidity level. Having a couple days to enjoy the parks also keeps anxieties about the races down to a minimum (whether you are concerned with getting a PR or just crossing the finishing line).
    • If you aren’t already on a good daily hydration schedule, get to it! 64 oz of water should go down the hatch each day. A few other things to consider when knowing how much to hydrate: intensity of activity, environmental conditions (humidity, temperature, shade/cloud cover), level of fitness, degree of heat acclimatization, amount of clothing/equipment, illness, etc. You know how much you need – don’t let a lack in attention paid to hydration turn into your excuse for a poor finish.
    • Spend some time cruising the Expo. There is a relatively small amount of swag in the participant bag, but there are lots of freebies at the booths. But take heed chatting mice: DO NOT BUY SHOES AT THE EXPO AND EXPECT TO USE THEM IN YOUR RACE! I have seen people do this and it is Amateur Night at the DLH. If you buy shoes here, they are for the fall training or racing season. Your shoes for the race should be about 2-3 months old and perfectly broken in. If you are doing the half, make sure you have more room in the toe-box than you normally have in your every-day walking shoes. Constant impact at the toe end over this course will pop those toenails right off if you aren’t careful.
    • Eat pasta or rice and fish the night before. I know this is a no brainer to all you athletes out there, but just a reminder. Pizza Port has a nice selection of dishes that will fill you up, stock your reserves, and not put you in the poor house.

Day of:

• Get up early enough to not panic. Rise from your slumber ready to go because you have done the above and feel great. You didn’t stay at the park until close the day before, so you are fresh and springy. It is recommended that all runners be at the line 2 hours prior to take off. Not necessary. An hour is fine. However, if you are doing the 5K, you want to be as early as possible so you are at the front of the pack. This race has no corral take-off.
    • Pre-race eats are very important to some, miniscule in the grand scheme to others. If you always eat before you run in the mornings, eat that same thing. If you never eat prior to a run, then don’t do it today. Montezuma will make sure to drop in if you step out of your normal dietary habits. But do remember to drink water. Just because you walked around all day yesterday with your camelbak sipping like serpent, doesn’t mean you are good to go. You lose a large amount of water during the night, and this store needs to be replenished prior to the race. Consume approximately 500 to 600 ml (17 to 20 fl oz) of water or a sports drink 2 to 3 hours before exercise and 300 to 360 ml (10 to 12 fl oz) of water or a sports drink 0 to 10 minutes before exercise.
    • If you are staying in close proximity to the park (0-.5 miles) try and walk to the starting line. If you don’t want to walk that far, after getting off the race-day ART shuttle, do some short jog-run bursts on your way to the line.

At the line:

• Last year they let the runners hang out in the area where the race ends with family and friends prior to the beginning of the race. There were a few characters around for photos, but then they got pretty serious about getting us rounded up to the corrals (notice picture of Pixar Army Man).
    • You found out your corral and wave at the Expo. It is also located on your bib. Make sure you lined up correctly, nobody wants a speed demon in the back or a sloth in the front.
    • Wheelchair bound participants are the flagship athletes and I believe are let off 5-15 minutes before wave 1 (aka Corral Elite, Wave 1). The corrals then ascend alphabetically with 3 waves per corral, or so. By saying “or so”, that alleviates me from anyone holding me to every word here, as last year was slightly different than the year prior.

GO!

I will say no more, good information is available above from last years’ participants. There is great sideline support and almost enough water stations.

I am not sure which corral or wave my ancient butt will be in – but I hope to run with the Cliff Bar/Garmin 1:30 or 1:45 pace team. Please see below for a couple of images from last years races:

FINISHING HALF MARATHON

PRIOR TO HALF MARATHON

PRIOR TO 5K

DURING 5K BACKSTAGE SPACE MOUNTAIN

AFTER 5K JAUNT
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

Disney Races completed:

2008 WDW Half Marathon
    2008 DL Half Marathon
    2009 WDW Marathon

I wish DL did a full marathon, but I've signed up for the half again this year. What a great and very fun race. Plus, if you run WDW and DL races in the same year, you get an addition coast to coast medal. Last year's was fantastic. Haven't seen a shot of this years yet.

If you can get there for the race, do it...you'll be happy you did!
    "I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing...that it was all started by a mouse" °o°
    - Uncle Walt

Quote Originally Posted by dizneeboy View Post
    Disney Races completed:

2008 WDW Half Marathon
    2008 DL Half Marathon
    2009 WDW Marathon

I wish DL did a full marathon, but I've signed up for the half again this year. What a great and very fun race. Plus, if you run WDW and DL races in the same year, you get an addition coast to coast medal. Last year's was fantastic. Haven't seen a shot of this years yet.

If you can get there for the race, do it...you'll be happy you did!
    Agreed (Davy Jones voice)! I have not done a full marathon yet, still trying to get a better base. Where are you hoping to be in the pack? I am going to try and hang in the 1:30's somewhere.

Are you running in your training shoes, or do you have racing flats?

All good things - good luck!

Feeling like a big nerd, I continue to write on my own thread. I think this may be the equivalent to laughing at ones own jokes? I guess when you are excited about something, thoughts of goal splits and moisture-wicking socks have a hard time leaving the frontal lobe.

Either way, there are about 56 days until the Half Marathon, 53 days until I arrive at the park and it is hard to think about anything else! I know there are plenty of active Micechat members out there just itching to run this race. I think it is about 96-percent full, so there is still time! If you haven’t been training, sign up for the 5K and cruise through a nice and easy 3.1.

I might be in a “VMK Remembered” t-shirt, I might be topless. Either way I will make sure to look about for fellow MC’ers!

Hope to see you guys out there!

Quote Originally Posted by BoygunaSurf View Post
    Agreed (Davy Jones voice)! I have not done a full marathon yet, still trying to get a better base. Where are you hoping to be in the pack? I am going to try and hang in the 1:30's somewhere.

Are you running in your training shoes, or do you have racing flats?

All good things - good luck!
    I have 3 friends running with me. Two ran it last year and one is a first timer. As a result, I put down the first non qualifying time for all of us (I think 2:45) so we can start together. I plan on running through the parks (which is 3 instead of last year's 4 miles) and then pacing myself from there. Sounds like you'll be way ahead, but I'll keep an eye out for you and say hi if we cross paths.

I run in my training shoes. I keep a log of miles for each pair and donate my shoes once I get over 500 miles. I try to break new ones in way before a race to avoid any type of blistering. I overpronate, so I have stabalizing Pearl Izumis...great shoes!
    "I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing...that it was all started by a mouse" °o°
    - Uncle Walt

• With The Brain Of A Bird

I wont be in the Half but my sister and I will be in the 5K. We've participated the past two years, dipping into the bank accounts to stay at the DL Hotel. But the Start/Finish line was in the Timon Parking Lot on the other side of the resort. A fair walk before and after a 3 mile run. So after signing us up for this years 5K when registration opened, we made hotel reservations at the Sharaton next to the convention center. An easy walk across the street to the Start/Finish line.
    Ha! Take that Disneyland 5K organizers.

But I've recently learned that due to the Timon Parking Lot being a construction zone now, the Start/Finish line has been moved to the OPPOSITE side of the resort at the Mickey & Friends Parking Structure.
    Ah... touché Disneyland 5K organizers.

I guess we'll just have to consider the walk a nice warm up and cool down.
    Have a great run in the Half Marathon. Hopefully we'll get a room facing Katella Ave. and I can cheer you on from the balcony that morning.

Under an Umbrella in Portland! Just a short 2 hour flight from Anaheim

Thanks for all the info on the race and the posts and the pictures!

BoyGuna...Feel free to post away! I just started running for the first time in December with 2 goals. One was to do the Pat's Run in Tempe, AZ in April (done!) and the other was the Disneyland Half Marathon.

The back of my running shirt is my countdown chart, and I update it every day I have a planned run...just to keep my on track. I am up to 10 miles on my long runs and feel great about the race, and the almost 50 pounds I have lost in training for it! Woo Hoo!

But thanks again to everyone for their stories, and thoughts, and ideas, and pictures, and everything else to help keep the rest of us motivated and excited! 58 DAYS TO GO!!!!
    Glory, Glory Man United! And the Reds go marching on! On!! ON!!!

I survived my first Marathon. Got my Mickey at WDW after 6:22:08 of "fun" on the course. Not happy with the time, so I will go back and be getting Goofy next year!

Got home from doing my 10.5 miles this morning to see that the half marathon is now FULL! 54 days to go!

I survived my first Marathon. Got my Mickey at WDW after 6:22:08 of "fun" on the course. Not happy with the time, so I will go back and be getting Goofy next year!

Quote Originally Posted by renthead09 View Post
    Got home from doing my 10.5 miles this morning to see that the half marathon is now FULL! 54 days to go!
    10.5, nice work guy! I didn't get that far this weekend, too much loungin around. I did a hill workout on Sunday morning which some how I was able to hold my goal pace for the half on some wild inclines. I am hoping tomorrow morning before work to get in about 8. It is so much better when it is cooler out!

What is the Pat's run?

thanks! 10.5 is the longest run for me. I am doing a 10 mile race in MN in two weeks, so I wanted to go past it so I can mentally think...Only 10 miles, I have done more than that. I have hills planned for my weekday runs this week and next to get ready for the MN run. It is along the Mississippi, so I am anticipating hills...lots and lots of rolling of hills.

I have started running at 6:30am to beat the Vegas heat. I did Run Club at Niketown on Saturday, which is cool, because we run on the strip, but it was 92 out when we started at 9am. Uhhhh.

Pat's Run is the Pat Tilman 4.2 mile run at Arizona State University. Pat played for ASU and the AZ Cardinals before enlisting in the Army and being killed by friendly fire in the war. As a ASU fan, it was amazing doing the run through campus and around Tempe with 15,000 other people wearing maroon and gold and then finishing on the 42 yard line of Sun Devil Stadium. They also hold one every year in San Jose, I believe that one finishes at the high school that he went to.

Right on, Pat’s sounds like a good situation. I actually looked it up right after asking what it was - great cause.

Where are you running in Minnesota? I have spent a great deal of time there and know most of the areas around the Twin Cities as well as some more obscure locations. It’s not known for being treacherous running terrain, but there are plenty of drawn-out inclines that can get to ya. The muddy Miss is fun to run along, you never know what can go floating by. I saw a guy cruising down part of the river on a mattress with his dog.

Your distances should allow you to be perfectly acclimated for the big day. Because of where I live in Northern CA, every time I step out the door for a session, it is guaranteed to include hills. It’s nice because I don’t have to factor in separate workouts just for inclines, but can be rough on the quads, not to mention the strain it causes on pace holding.

All in all, after swimming my whole life and through college, running is a nice challenge as it is totally new to me. PR every race, that kind of thing.

Are you going to be wearing any crazy costumes in the half?

• The Z is the new E ticket

Wink Re: 2009 Disneyland Half-Marathon Weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by BoygunaSurf View Post
    Are you going to be wearing any crazy costumes in the half?
    The real question is are you going to wear a crazy costume????

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast