Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Future Imagineer! =D

Re: 2009 Disneyland Half-Marathon Weekend!

This is kind of but, speaking of marathons, when is the Choc Walkathon at Disneyland?
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by LittleImagineer View Post
    This is kind of but, speaking of marathons, when is the Choc Walkathon at Disneyland?
    It's usually sometime in October.

I really wanted to run the 1/2 marathon this year, but I'm only up to the point where I can run 3 or so miles right now since I didn't really have the time to run as much as I would have liked to this year. I may go ahead and do the 5k though just to get a feel for it.

• Circle of Ancients

Well, forget that. According to the site the 1/2 marathon and 5K are full. Only the kids races are still available.

Register Online for the Half Marathon - Full!
    Register Online for the 5K - Full!
    Register Online for the Kids' Races - 70% Full!

• Future Imagineer! =D

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    It's usually sometime in October.

I really wanted to run the 1/2 marathon this year, but I'm only up to the point where I can run 3 or so miles right now since I didn't really have the time to run as much as I would have liked to this year. I may go ahead and do the 5k though just to get a feel for it.
    Thanks for the info. We got tickets for the Halloween party for the night of the second and all the hotels are booked! We are scared that it's the weekend of the Choc Walkathon now. We've done the Walkathon in the past and Disneyland is packed because everyone who enters the Walkathon gets a free ticket. Yikes!
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• Boat shoes all day long

Quote Originally Posted by Zticket View Post
    The real question is are you going to wear a crazy costume????
    Look at this guy, chiming in! I will probably be wearing a peter pan hat and a pair of Goofy's brown shoes. And that's it.
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

Under an Umbrella in Portland! Just a short 2 hour flight from Anaheim

attach your bib number carefully if that is all you are wearing!
    Glory, Glory Man United! And the Reds go marching on! On!! ON!!!

I survived my first Marathon. Got my Mickey at WDW after 6:22:08 of "fun" on the course. Not happy with the time, so I will go back and be getting Goofy next year!

Quote Originally Posted by renthead09 View Post
    attach your bib number carefully if that is all you are wearing!
    Joking of course - that is my training attire. I am thinking against a shirt this year due to the chaffage sufferings of 2008. Are you doing any speed workouts or track workouts? I have been doing one speed day per week, Friday mornings. It’s not very complex, just a flat out 5K for time. I almost got in under :20 this morning, but took the first mile out a little too slow, :20.25

I am hoping by August to be in the low :19’s.

great times for the 5K. Good luck on keeping up the increase.

I do intervals once a week, but nothing on the track. Every now and then I throw in a 5K and run it at "race" pace. Right now that is between 25 and 26 minutes, depending on the route I run and all the other variables.

I am running in Stillwater, MN next weekend, so it should be fun. Preliminary weather is rain, but that is week away so we'll see.

Have been fortunate enough to not experience the chaffing issue yet. I usually wear my Nike Pro Compression under my sleeveless top.

A few questions about the half if ya don't mind.
    -Do they "allow" iPods? I know that rules say "no headphones", but wondering how much they enforce this. I use my music to help with my pacing, so it really helps.

-Any clue on the Pace Teams they have set up. Do they all start from the last corral? Just trying to figure out if I want to try to hang with a pace group or just do my thing. Not too worried about time as this is my first half, but thought it might help, especially if they seriously don't allow use of iPods.

I survived my first Marathon. Got my Mickey at WDW after 6:22:08 of "fun" on the course. Not happy with the time, so I will go back and be getting Goofy next year!

Music is a must for me as well on longer runs. I have been running sans iPod in the mornings before the sun comes up because I need to keep an ear to the streets for creeps. It is fine as long as the run is no longer than 6.5 and it helps to hear how hard my feet are striking. What kind of tunes do you have on those play lists? I have all kinds of weird stuff including famous speeches.

The race info says that headphones are not allowed on the course for safety purposes, but there is no evidence to prove any kind of enforcement. I would say about 85% of the pack is wired. I remember asking a lady at the packet pick-up at the expo my first year about the policy and she said that it is discouraged, but not enforced. Feel free to wear your iPod!

Pace teams are a little tricky, but if you can get hooked up with the group you want to run with early on, they can certainly be helpful. Cliff Bar sponsors the pace groups, and you can actually sign up for the pace teams on their website:

http://www.clifbar.com/play/pace_registration/

When you get to the expo, find their (Cliff Bar) vendor booth. They will give you a bracelet (beer garden style) for whatever your goal time is, and it has each mile broken out so when you get to a mile marker, check the bracelet and it will let you know if you are on track.

The problem is, the pace teams don’t always start in each corral and/or wave. You have to search them out a little. If you aren’t able to find one at the start, don’t stress. Somewhere along the course they are bound to come up. They are easily recognizable with the white balloon attached to their wrist.

FYI runners, this is important:

I was talking to some friends, far better runners than me, who have run the course and will be down for this years' event and have learned a little about tangents.

Because of the wide race path, it is easy to end up running quite a bit further than the actual suggested 13.1 miles. You want to make sure that you are running tangents, IE running in a line that is directed from one inside curve to the next. The best way to do this, unless you have a GPS watch, is to stick with a pace group.

I can expand more on this, but you may just want to hit up a site on running tangents, those writers are physicists

great call on the running lines. I never thought about that.

I just got back from my weekend in Minnesota. It was amazing to run in 60 degree temps and not 110. I finished the 10 mile run in 1:46:01. I am hoping that will get me into a corral for the start. My actual time should have been just under 1:45, but it did not take off the difference between my chip and the gun time. Not that I am complaining. I am thrilled with the time, which should put me on pace to run 2:15 for the half.

At the race I talked to a few people and I think I am going to try to stick with a pace group if there is one near me, at least for the first couple miles of the run. I was going to run with a couple of friends, but they both procrastinated about signing up, so forget them! I can totally see myself getting caught up in the excitement of the moment and going out too hard. I just want to run my pace, have fun, and enjoy every moment that I can since it will be my first half.

Anyways...Woo Hoo for crossing the 40 day mark.

My question for the week is: Do you run more than 13.1 leading up to the race. My l longest so far is 11, so I am trying to decided if I push for 13 on my run 2 weeks before the half, or if I just stay at the 11 mile area.

Have a great week!

Nice run man! 60-degree weather with minimal humidity sounds like ideal conditions to me. I am really hoping this year’s race is like last years, and not 2007. 2007 was reaching 90-degrees by 8:30 AM with a beating sun – no coastal fog at all.

You definitely have the right idea with the pace group. It is those guys/girls job to hold a pace so they are pretty good at it. Sticking with a crew that will be going your goal time and breaking away at some point, if you can, is the right way to do it. It is also nice to have someone to talk to when you want to take your mind off the fact that you’re hurtin pretty bad.

I am no expert so I am not sure what the “right” way is when it comes to how much of the total distance of your race you train up to, but for me, around 10-11. I would like to train at 13, but just don’t find it necessary. I do a lot of pacing with the majority of the runs I do between 1-8 miles at race pace. I think running hard for 80% of the distance is the same as running slower than goal for the whole time. I have also been trying to get in some speed work each week so I can finish and look like a runner instead of a clown. So I would say if you are rolling in around 11 or 12 miles on your big runs you will be just fine. The energy at the starting line, mid-race, and finish line will keep you going!

With 34 days to go we are really getting down there – I’m stoked!

All doing the Half Marathon:

With 30-something days remaining, I wanted to let those of you interested know of some basic tactics as race day approaches.

Taper: no new terminology here, you just want to back off the distance/time (time = length of run if measured in minutes as opposed to miles) you are training for while keeping up the intensity, in this case pace. But when do I start? You want to start your taper for a HM 10 days prior to the race. How much do I back off? The first three or four days of the taper decrease your distance/time by 35%-40%, depending on whether you have more fast-twitch muscle fibers as opposed to slow-twitch. Slow twitch means you need more distance and your body can take it, fast twitch means you are all about speed and need more rest than most. The last six or seven days should see a 60-65% decrease from peak training.

Do I keep doing hills? No, you will want to back off the peaks and get into the flats to let your quadriceps recover. However, hills build strength in our lower backs and, believe it or not, shoulders – so keep doing push ups and light weights and bands to keep your shoulders and back open and loose.

Carbs the three days leading up to the race will do it. Remember that pasta and bread aren’t the only sources. There has been a lot of talk the last couple years regarding the ideal “last meal.” From what it looks like, main course fish, side of rice, and steamed vegetables is gold. The carbs boost your levels of glycogen which is where your body will pull its energy from for as long as it can. This is free energy and requires little effort on your part to burn, fat on the other hand takes some effort so the more glycogen in your stores the better.

Keep stretching!

• Disneylander

Thanks BoygunaSurf! Good info about tapering. We're doing ten miles tomorrow in our training run.

Quote Originally Posted by Figaro View Post
    Thanks BoygunaSurf! Good info about tapering. We're doing ten miles tomorrow in our training run.
    Excellent, good luck! I am about to go do a nine here in about five minutes.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast