Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• The Great Tiki

Blog Entries

Re: 2009 Disneyland Half-Marathon Weekend!

If you are running in the 5K --and have family that isn't because the race was already full. Is there anywhere for them to cheer you on....I assume not in the part of the race that goes through the park ---but possibly the entrance area?

I ran the Half in 2007 but unfortunately the knees will no longer do any sort of distance race. My 17 year old son will run the 5k with me this year. Looking forward to a fun weekend. Thanks for getting us ready to go Boyguna!

Lace 'em up!
    Deedlebug

• Boat shoes all day long

Quote Originally Posted by brad chowen View Post
    If you are running in the 5K --and have family that isn't because the race was already full. Is there anywhere for them to cheer you on....I assume not in the part of the race that goes through the park ---but possibly the entrance area?
    There aren’t quite as many places to cheer on runners in the 5K as the half, but you’re right, they are mainly between the entrances to DCA and DLR. It’s a great place to stand and get photos and cheer people on. You might want to go with the runners to the starting line and ask a volunteer where some good places to watch are, they may have some good ideas.
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Deedlebug View Post
    I ran the Half in 2007 but unfortunately the knees will no longer do any sort of distance race. My 17 year old son will run the 5k with me this year. Looking forward to a fun weekend. Thanks for getting us ready to go Boyguna!

Lace 'em up!
    Knees aren’t forever, that is for sure! You are going to have to get some of those inserts made from the same material they built the space station with (Forest Gump ode).

Good luck in the 5K, its nice to do relaxed runs like that where there aren’t a bunch of goofs on your heels “on your left”, “on your right”, “down the middle!” I actually had someone say that to me (down the middle) while I was walking along Market St. in San Francisco as they biked by. I just remember thinking, you can pass on the right or left, why down the middle?! As I recall from my many years of swimming, it is the passers responsibility to find a way around the person in front of them. If you need to get by, make it work!

Another nice thing about the 5K is that it is all park, all the time!

I need someone to run with... not super fast please... lol

Under an Umbrella in Portland! Just a short 2 hour flight from Anaheim

Wow, can't believe we are just a month away. Had a horrible week of running with work, but that is all behind me and I am ready to get back at it.

Boyguna, thanks for all the tips and suggestions. It is really helpful as someone who has not ran this before.

Sergmig, not sure what fast is to you, Haha, but consider a pace group if you don't find anyone. The 2 people running with me didn't sign up in time, so I am on my own too. I just need to decide if I am going to shoot for 2:15 or 2:30 since this is my first half and I am really not sure. (most likely the 2:15 group, and you are welcome to join me there) I just did a 10 mile run at 1:45.

Anyways...36 days and counting! Woo Hoo!
    Glory, Glory Man United! And the Reds go marching on! On!! ON!!!

I survived my first Marathon. Got my Mickey at WDW after 6:22:08 of "fun" on the course. Not happy with the time, so I will go back and be getting Goofy next year!

Quote Originally Posted by sergmig View Post
    I need someone to run with... not super fast please... lol
    What kind of time are you hoping to run?

I'll be there, this will be my 2nd time doing this race. I always love running through the parks and having people cheer you on. I was trying to aim for a time of 1:30, but I know for a fact that's not going to happen this year. I'm taking it kinda easy, cause I'm trying to prevent injury since I was crazy enough to sign up for the 2010 Goofy Challenge, which is a couple months after this race.

Good luck to all who are running this and always remember to have fun!

Props to you for the Goofy Challenge! That is crazy to even think about. I was looking at the Marathon at WDW, but it is full, so maybe 2011 if I can't get into the London Marathon.

How to you "train" for a full and a half on the same weekend?

I survived my first Marathon. Got my Mickey at WDW after 6:22:08 of "fun" on the course. Not happy with the time, so I will go back and be getting Goofy next year!

Thanks, actually the WDW full marathon is only 75% full, but the half marathon is totally full.
    I know, at first I didn't really know what I was getting myself into. Once I started thinking about what I actually signed up for, it's like, oh man, I am in trouble, since I never even ran a marathon yet, but I'm determined lol.

Honestly, I don't really know how to train for it. I heard something about the day before long runs, your suppose do half the mileage that your going to do on long runs, i don't know, I have to keep researching that.

Thanks for the info.

I think I am going to head to the WDW Marathon site and check it out. Some people at work have been bugging me to do the Vegas marathon with them the first weekend of December. But since the Disneyland Half is my first half, 3 months seemed like a short amount of time to try and get ready for my first full, but add another month in there...hmmmmm.

That might be a great goal to keep me motivated after the half.

Time for bed, gotta get up early to get in 10 miles in the morning before it gets too hot.

Las Vegas Marathon, have been wanting to do that race for a while now, I've just always been busy during that time, but then again I've always been wanting to run at Disney World too.
    First half marathon, Wow This race is always a blast, no worries

Good luck on your run, I know what you mean on the heat.

5K’s and HM’s

Important news flash friends! We are a little over a week away from dropping the distance and really preparing for the races. I wanted to make something known. After looking at my goal time, which stares me in the face everyday as it as affixed to my computing device, I realized its irrelevancy. But what is relevant is the fact that those of us who have prepared to run have gained much more than we will on race day when we hit our goal time. We have gained fitness, we have gotten blisters. We have gained funny tan lines, we have stinky shoes. We have gained longevity, and we have gained sleep-filled nights. Goals were set, hopefully to be met on Labor Day Weekend. I had plenty of days were I declined an early morning run for a little extra sleep. But just as many where I ran harder because I knew there were people out that that wish they could and couldn’t.

When we cross the finish line and see we are even slightly under the pace we dreamed of, it will no doubt be sweet. But I just wanted to sit and remember what that goal number did. It made me eat breakfast; drink water, stretch and sleep. That’s enough right there to where even if I ran half a second faster than last year I would count it a victory.

Don’t forget to thank those who have put up with your nonsense during training, not to mention the incredible stench of your shorts and shoes. Thank them for their support and make sure that you give them a big sweaty hug at completion.

Take these last couple weeks to lengthen your strides. More speed work will ensue as you close in on the last few weeks of training, so run fast. The faster you are training on the short speed runs, the higher and more real your confidence will be. You need to see those low numbers to help your mind realize that the potential is there for greatness. Greatness to each one of us is certainly different in terms of time, effort, whatever else. But what is the same is the excitement. We are excited to get out there and test ourselves in an environment that evokes overwhelming feelings of joy and possibility. Disneyland is a place where dreams come true (sappy) right? So why not throw an athletic event in and turn it into a dream, sweat, and excitement filled stew?

Get your ladles ready because it will be a feast of all good things!

20 days fellers!

I hope everyone is as excited as I am!

Question on water stops (more of a poll): do you run/jog through the stops while you gulp down your choice of water or sports drink, or do you stop and walk through these areas?

Along with a friend of mine's suggestion, Runners World noted that it is very smart to walk at these locations as you will avoid getting bubbles of air trapped in your lungs from chugging and running, and it will give the legs a quick breather. They say that when you do walk through the water stations, walk with extra long strides to help stretch out your hamstrings.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

Hahaha--excellent question! I jogged through all the water stops last year which just resulted in splashing water all over my face. At a stop near where they gave us that goopy stuff that we were supposed to ingest (?!?), I finally stopped and walked while I drank just because I was feeling a little sick to my stomach by then and thought actually drinking some water might help. It did. This time I plan to walk and drink at most of the stops since I still haven't mastered the art of drinking while jogging. I never did eat the goopy stuff--just had a bad feeling about it.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast