Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

• Boat shoes all day long

Re: 2009 Disneyland Half-Marathon Weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by renthead09 View Post

9/6 A glorious ramble through the parks and the streets of Anaheim under a slight breeze on a 60 degree Sunday morning. (10 day forcast looks good, but it still has 10 days to change)
    Haha perfect scene! My fingers are crossed on your forecast!
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

As of now accuweather reports a high of 75 a low in the mid 50s. being from Arizona, this is cold, and I hate cold starts. Oh well I guess I will have to run faster to warm up. I did 12 yesterday (I planned on 17) but the 112 degrees put the brakes on that long run, I guess I need to get up earlier ha.

Max humidity is 74% - Ick! That's very high for these parts.

• Johnny and Me!

Does anyone know the parking situation? Will participants be able to park in the Mickey and Friends structure?

Quote Originally Posted by dfan07 View Post
    Does anyone know the parking situation? Will participants be able to park in the Mickey and Friends structure?
    Yes.

I would suggest that we all build our race uniforms assuming it will be hot and humid. If it ends up being cooler than expected – bonus.

Are any of you going to utilize the salt tab option? As a guy that does a little bit of sweating, I would like to get in on this but have not found these guys available at any of my local sports stores. Do you know if the expo will have them available as samples, swag or for purchase? You would think they would be free samples as Hyponatremia is a common threat to runners in races of this distance, but then again, you would also think a park ticket would be included in the race entry fee.

I haven't seen them at the expos yet. I think Cliff is a sponsor so they'll give out Cliff Blocks most likely (ick). There is usually one vendor that sells all sorts of things from fuel belts, to gels, to socks. They may be your best bet.

Good deal, thanks guy!

First yes you can park in the mickey and friends parking, but beaware they charge the regular parking price. I believe it is 12 or 14 dollars.

Also I have been to several expos including this one and i have never seen salt tabs. I wonder why, they would be a good seller. If anyone remembers for the past two years this race has been a bit on the warm side. Last year after the clouds broke up is was downright hot. So if you need salt tabs try roadrunner in Anaheim I am sure they will have them, there may even be an REI out there I know they will.

I am new here but wanted to try and help. I am a barrell full of running knowledge haha

wcr

Disneyland Half 2006, 2007, 2008, (2009)
    Pf Changs Phoenix half 2006, 2007 (2010)
    Marine Corps Marathon 2008 (2009)
    Champion Run for hunger Half 2008 (2009)

Welcome Waycoolrob! It's great to have you here and your running advice is much appreciated!

Under an Umbrella in Portland! Just a short 2 hour flight from Anaheim

Welcome WayCoolRob. As a total rookie at the Half, any and all info is GREATLY appreciated.

I think the info on parking was included in the e-mail that came yesterday with the final race instructions. If you look at the program (or booklet or whatever they call it) it was in there.

Have safe travels everyone. I am thrilled I extended my trip to start on Monday. It looks like Murphy the Dragon will be making an appreance this coming week. A crazy day camped out in front of Fantasmic sounds like a great way to start the Half Marathon week!
    Glory, Glory Man United! And the Reds go marching on! On!! ON!!!

I survived my first Marathon. Got my Mickey at WDW after 6:22:08 of "fun" on the course. Not happy with the time, so I will go back and be getting Goofy next year!

Quote Originally Posted by BoygunaSurf View Post
    Are any of you going to utilize the salt tab option? As a guy that does a little bit of sweating, I would like to get in on this but have not found these guys available at any of my local sports stores.
    Boyguna, I'm a Bay Area guy too as well as a very heavy sweater. Back when I was running marathons (hopefully I'll get back to doing the occasional half one of these days....) I used to buy them at the Sports Basement. If you go into the City there's one in the Presidio and one south of Market, but maybe easier/closer to you would be the one in Walnut Creek. I probably took four an hour when I did NYC a few years back. That's excessive, but I really need to restore electrolytes. (I could have used them today; I just about got heatstroke playing golf in Fairfield!)

Have a good race all! Maybe I'll see you next year!

WayCoolRob – excellent info. M&M Daddy, thank you! I am going to drop by SB in Walnut Creek today or tomorrow for the salts.

As you read this, Renthead09 is probably getting ready to head into the parks! I, on the other hand, will not be chiming through the gate until Thursday morning. I hope you guys are all getting set! I have no idea what anyone on MiceChat really looks like, but hopefully will see someone of you there! I will be in black shorts and a black RVCA cycling hat. Probably a blue Adidas jacket before the race starts. I am not sure if they are doing a meet at 12-noon after the race – but will cruise over there to see what’s going on.

I hear tell that some of you had planned on wearing your medals in the park. This is fine, but remember, they are heavy and cumbersome when worn for more than an hour or so.

Another option for the salt tabs are Hammer Nutrition Endurolytes Hammer Endurolytes - Full Spectrum Electrolyte Source

You can get these in 4 pill samples at athletic stores (If they carry them) But if you have not used these already in your training, why would you pick them up now? Aren't you worried they could have an ill effect?

Quote Originally Posted by dags View Post
    Another option for the salt tabs are Hammer Nutrition Endurolytes Hammer Endurolytes - Full Spectrum Electrolyte Source

You can get these in 4 pill samples at athletic stores (If they carry them) But if you have not used these already in your training, why would you pick them up now? Aren't you worried they could have an ill effect?
    Thanks for the info kind friend!

It is known that new, foreign to the body items ingested on race day can cause problems. Salt tabs are one of those things that I have only heard good things about. I have a couple pals in Team in Training and they took their first tabs at a marathon and said the amount of sodium put back into their body made the fatigue in their quads and calves subside to a far more tolerable level than taking the sports drink throughout the race. There just aren’t enough milligrams of sodium in those drinks to replenish the amount you are losing on long, hot/humid runs.

I hope they work out! Is anyone else doing the half and 5K? If so, look for a guy in the 5K wearing a tie-dye t-shirt running with his camera.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast