Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

• Disneylander

Re: 2009 Disneyland Half-Marathon Weekend!

We're coming down to the resort on Friday night. Is anyone getting together before the race?

The reports on the fires sound pretty awful. How is the air quality down there?

• Dapper Dan-nabe

I don't know what the air quality is like in Anaheim, but I live much closer to the fires and the air quality where I am isn't terrible. Barring any major changes in the fire, I wouldn't expect the air quality to be very bad for the races.
    -SilentDante
    eliselzer.blogspot.com

• Boat shoes all day long

Thumbs up Re: 2009 Disneyland Half-Marathon Weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Figaro View Post
    We're coming down to the resort on Friday night. Is anyone getting together before the race?
    I was thinking of like a team cheer or something? There is normally a big stage with a TV screen in the area where the race will end and the meet and greet stuff will take place. We should meet in this area 45 min before the start of the race.

Let's say 5:00-5:15 AM, everybody pop over here and we will do a Remember the Titans kind of thing.
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

Under an Umbrella in Portland! Just a short 2 hour flight from Anaheim

I got out and ran yesterday and today.

I didn't notice anything either day from the fires. The air in Vegas and on the drive over to Anaheim was WAY more noticable than anything in the OC.

Humidity was a little noticable for me yesterday, but I ran at 3pm and usually run at 6:30am in Vegas...so that is understandable. Today I ran about 7:30 and it felt incredible! If it really does cool off a little more and condering we are starting at 6am, Sunday should be a great morning for running.

Crowds are very light at the park. But definitely not complaining. Did the fireworks last night. Love that show.

Today is the Santa Monica Pier, The Grove/Farmers Market, Niketown LA, and the Dodgers game.

Then a full day in the parks tomorrow.

Safe travels everyone!!!!!!!
    Glory, Glory Man United! And the Reds go marching on! On!! ON!!!

I survived my first Marathon. Got my Mickey at WDW after 6:22:08 of "fun" on the course. Not happy with the time, so I will go back and be getting Goofy next year!

Quote Originally Posted by BoygunaSurf View Post
    Thanks for the info kind friend!

It is known that new, foreign to the body items ingested on race day can cause problems. Salt tabs are one of those things that I have only heard good things about. I have a couple pals in Team in Training and they took their first tabs at a marathon and said the amount of sodium put back into their body made the fatigue in their quads and calves subside to a far more tolerable level than taking the sports drink throughout the race. There just aren’t enough milligrams of sodium in those drinks to replenish the amount you are losing on long, hot/humid runs.

I hope they work out! Is anyone else doing the half and 5K? If so, look for a guy in the 5K wearing a tie-dye t-shirt running with his camera.

Cool, I figured you knew about the issues with taking something new on raceday. I just wanted to make sure others are aware of the potential issues.

(FWIW) Also, I would suggest that people don't just take salt but an acutal electrolyte/salt tab. These have more ingerdiants than just salt, wich is only one of many componenets that make up Electrolytes.

I hope everyones last runs are going well and injury free.

Quote Originally Posted by BoygunaSurf View Post
    I was thinking of like a team cheer or something? There is normally a big stage with a TV screen in the area where the race will end and the meet and greet stuff will take place. We should meet in this area 45 min before the start of the race.

Let's say 5:00-5:15 AM, everybody pop over here and we will do a Remember the Titans kind of thing.

This sounds cool.
    I'll def try and make it to this.

• Boat shoes all day long

Quote Originally Posted by dags View Post
    This sounds cool.
    I'll def try and make it to this.
    Good deal! Let's try and get everyone to this location on Sunday morning!
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

Tommorow I leave to go to Anaheim. Hope to see some of you there!

Good luck to everyone and have fun

totally agree. I use the electrolyte tabs and they are great. Not harsh and taste pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by dags View Post
    Cool, I figured you knew about the issues with taking something new on raceday. I just wanted to make sure others are aware of the potential issues.

(FWIW) Also, I would suggest that people don't just take salt but an acutal electrolyte/salt tab. These have more ingerdiants than just salt, wich is only one of many componenets that make up Electrolytes.

I hope everyones last runs are going well and injury free.
    "I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing...that it was all started by a mouse" °o°
    - Uncle Walt

•   

How does this event effect the resort? Besides road closures, is the park more crowded? Open in the morning later? Etc...

Thanks for any info or advice as I am spending Saturday and Sunday off property (but within walking distance), so I am curious if I need to know anything of importance regarding this event and it's effect on the resort.

Thanks in advance...

Two years ago when the Half marathon was on monday we noticed that after about 2pm on Labor Day the park died down. We did not have any long waits for the rides. Sunday, after the 5K, was absolutely swamped with visitors. Not sure how it is with the 5k on Saturday and the Half on Sunday.
    I leave in 16 hours and will be in the park in 20 hours. I can't wait!!!!!!
    Lace 'em up and let's get running!

• Dapper Dan-nabe

Last year, I was only there for the 5k, and the park was busy, but no more so than most weekend days, really. After the half, I expect the crowd influx to be larger, but I can't speak from experience.
    -SilentDante
    eliselzer.blogspot.com

They have signs posted about the Magic Morning days (or whatever early entry is called) being different this week/weekend. So it may effect those people planning on using that.

Saturday you might want to check opening time, as the 5K event goes until 9:30 I believe, and it ends on Main Street. So it may not be open until 10am. But I am not sure on that.

I survived my first Marathon. Got my Mickey at WDW after 6:22:08 of "fun" on the course. Not happy with the time, so I will go back and be getting Goofy next year!

Does anyone know if there is any chance they will have any 5K registration available at the Expo if it is full? I really wanted to sign up, but wait too late. I could always sleep in that morning instead, so it is kinda a win-win situation.

Thanks for any help anyone has on this from past experiences.

I am so excited. This is my first half marathon. Due to a health condition I have to walk the route, but I am still so thrilled to go (and a little nervous). My Dad, sister and husband are participating too. Mom, Dad and sis fly into So Cal tonight. I have to work tomorrow and won't get to Anaheim until Friday night.

Hopefully the nerves go down and I can just have fun.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast