View Poll Results: Which of these two Story told/Water rides is more awesome???

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pirates of the Caribbean

80 67.80%
  • Splash Mountain

38 32.20%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Re: DLR's Awesomest Rides: Round 3. Pirates of the Caribbean VS. Splash Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I had to go with Pirates, the importance within the history of theme park design makes it hard to beat. For me it's the most iconic single attraction in every DL style park as well as one of the best designed and simply most impressive attractions ever built. It's sheer size, detail in theming, quality of set design, layout, and number of human AA's pretty much puts it in a class of its own. And the fact that after 40 years it's still in the conversation for being the best dark ride in the world is an amazing testament to the quality of this ride.
    For once I agree w/ Uncle Bob.
    Still a great ride, now just get rid of the Movie crap out of it.
    It stood the test of time for 40 years, it didn't need to be touched.

Splash is a great ride, don't get me wrong.
    But Pirates just has something extra special (most rides can't boast that Walt touched it/had a hand in it).
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Minion

Re: DLR's Awesomest Rides: Round 3. Pirates of the Caribbean VS. Splash Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by SILVERMOUSE21 View Post
    First let me add that Round 2 was a great debate but as you all know, there can only be one victor.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________

Who will win this week and take a spot as one of DLR's Awesomest Rides???

If you vote, please state your reasoning!!!

*Based off of SPIKE's Deadliest Warrior, no copyright intended*

NOTE: If you have any questions or concerns feel free to PM me

Next weeks match up it's a battle of the Fantasyland boat rides...

it's a small world VS. Story Book Land Canal Boats
    P I R A T E S DUH!
    Okay so here it is... I enjoy Splash Mountain, perhaps on a hot sunny day and I wanna get soaked. However that isn't a ride that's a "must" on my list of things to ride if I am short on time. Pirates is def a must EVERYTIME I go! (next to the Matterhorn of course. The music and atmosphere in general is just relaxing, and fun. You don't get too wet depending on where you're sitting. I just love everything about it, I cant name one thing I dont like about it. The little drops throughout the attraction are fun.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Carey View Post
    One thing I like about Pirates is that at the time it opened, its story was original to the ride. Now, I like Song of the South as much as the next guy, but Pirates has always been a symbol of Disneyland for me and a must-ride. If I go home having missed Splash, I really don't notice, but if I miss POC I am bummed.
    Very well said. I also like Song of the South, and enjoy a brief nostalgic remembrance of America Sings, but other than that, not really being that much of a roller coaster person I usually pass on Splash.

But never on Pirates, if I can help it. It's been a classic that I've enjoyed in just about every visit since 1968. And while I'm not a fan of the POTC movies much, I think the recent touches really refreshed the ride experience.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• ~Mambo Italiano~

*Spalsh dropped Pirates to 70.59%*

• 387 Miles from Disneyland

Pirates all the way! I could miss a trip on splash while visiting DL but if I ever missed Pirates I would bo so sad. It's always the first ride we go on when we go to the land and was my sons very first ride.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Noski View Post
    I don't think these two rides are even in the same class. Pirates is dark ride first, thrill ride second, while Splash Mt. is the opposite. If this was WDW Splash vs. WDW POTC, Splash might have a chance, but not at DLR.
    Totally agreed. That one would actually be a win for Splash IMO.

But I've never been too impressed with DL's Splash Mtn. Especially not compared to Pirates.

A better poll would have been Pirates vs. Mansion.

And even going back to the earlier one, a better poll would be Space Mtn. vs. Big Thunder Mtn.

I choose Pirates. I think the subject matter and the enviornments are more appealing to me. Also I grew up with it so there is a tender place inside reserved for it that splash (coming later in my youth) just can't compete with.
    I can never stand the wait for splash either. So unfortunetly I don't ride it very often.

Gotta go with Pirates. I don't think I have ever been to the park for a day and not rode Pirates, but I have skipped over Splash on many occasions.

• ~Mambo Italiano~

Quote Originally Posted by chadb14 View Post
    Gotta go with Pirates. I don't think I have ever been to the park for a day and not rode Pirates, but I have skipped over Splash on many occasions.

Yeah and the line always being long never helps Splash.

• Closed Account

I only picked Splash because as far as "ride quality" and "excitement" it beats pirates because it's bigger,faster,larger drops and stimulates more of your senses all the time.
    Not taking away from POTC, it's better visually and tells a better story, like riding through a virtual history museum with animation and a cool drop. But it's something that anyone from 90 years old to a Toddler can enjoy as Splash is more of a "roller coaster flume" that gets your heart pounding..I guess define "Awesome"...I love them both and not want to go to the park that day if either were closed.

• ~Mambo Italiano~

Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    I only picked Splash because as far as "ride quality" and "excitement" it beats pirates because it's bigger,faster,larger drops and stimulates more of your senses all the time.
    Not taking away from POTC, it's better visually and tells a better story, like riding through a virtual history museum with animation and a cool drop. But it's something that anyone from 90 years old to a Toddler can enjoy as Splash is more of a "roller coaster flume" that gets your heart pounding..I guess define "Awesome"...I love them both and not want to go to the park that day if either were closed.
    Great answer.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Pirates for a few reasons. Yes, a wider variety of people are attracted to Pirates. They have kept it fresh over the years and I liked most of the changes. However the most offensive changes came when they eliminated the chasing the wenches scene, and eliminating the changing shadows from the sail on the pirate ship (mickey, pluto, donald and goofy shadows!) Those two losses drop the greatness of the attraction. Add those two effects back, and it would be difficult to improve the overall ride.

Splash Mountain used to be my top pick, but when the drench factor was increased with the addition of the back 2 seater logs, this attraction plummeted in it's appeal.

• Counting the days!

Hm...
    I had to go with Splash Mountain.
    I mean, it never gets old.
    And Pirates just seems to drag on after awhile, no offense.
    But then again, I am more of a thrill seeker.

• ~Mambo Italiano~

*Splash starting to pick up it's ground*

• Minion

Pirates! Pirates! Pirates! YO HO

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast