View Poll Results: Which of these two Story told/Water rides is more awesome???

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pirates of the Caribbean

80 67.80%
  • Splash Mountain

38 32.20%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• ~Mambo Italiano~

Cool DLR's Awesomest Rides: Round 3. Pirates of the Caribbean VS. Splash Mountain

First let me add that Round 2 was a great debate but as you all know, there can only be one victor. With taking 77.92% of the votes, your winner of round 2, California Screamin VS. Space Mountain was......

Space Mountain!!!!!

Great Job!!!

To take a look at last weeks battle click here!

DLR's Awesomest Rides: Round 2. California Screamin VS. Space Mountain &(Results R.1)
    __________________________________________________ ______________

Now for this weeks battle!!!!

Last week it was a match up between the DLR's two biggest and baddest coasters but this week we are going to be told stories and get a little wet. This week we are having a match up of the DLR's two best Story told/Water attractions. Let's meet our two warriors.....

First we have one of the most classic and popular attractions Disneyland has to offer. This attraction takes us on a journey through the story of pirates. This attraction sits in the heart of New Orleans Square and is one of Disney's best themed attractions and if one of the last attractions Walt himself, got to plan.

I give you....

Pirates of the Caribbean

Next we have possibly the DLR's most intense water attraction. This attraction places us in the heart of a mountain where we find our protagonist (Br'er Rabbit) leaves his home determined to find his "laughing place". Unfortunately for him the antagonists (Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear) are determined to catch him. This attraction sits in Critter Country and has been a fan favorite since it's opening in 1989, especially for it's dramatic closing drop.

I give you....

Splash Mountain

Reasons For Comparison:

- Both rides have stories

- Both rides are water rides

- Both rides have drops

- Both rides have 2 of the most memorable Disney songs
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________

Who will win this week and take a spot as one of DLR's Awesomest Rides???

If you vote, please state your reasoning!!!

*Based off of SPIKE's Deadliest Warrior, no copyright intended*

NOTE: If you have any questions or concerns feel free to PM me

Next weeks match up it's a battle of the Fantasyland boat rides...

it's a small world VS. Story Book Land Canal Boats
    Last edited by SILVERMOUSE21; 06-03-2009 at 04:58 PM.

• Senior Minion

Re: DLR's Awesomest Rides: Round 3. Pirates of the Caribbean VS. Splash Mountain

I had to go with Pirates, the importance within the history of theme park design makes it hard to beat. For me it's the most iconic single attraction in every DL style park as well as one of the best designed and simply most impressive attractions ever built. It's sheer size, detail in theming, quality of set design, layout, and number of human AA's pretty much puts it in a class of its own. And the fact that after 40 years it's still in the conversation for being the best dark ride in the world is an amazing testament to the quality of this ride.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Planning my next trip

Re: DLR's Awesomest Rides: Round 3. Pirates of the Caribbean VS. Splash Mountain

Couldnt agree more with unclebob.

• We set sail for the sky

Splash all the way, especially since Jack took over Pirates.

• Keepin' it calsteady

Pirates. It's a classic that is a key part of a perfect Disneyland day. Other than Jack getting away with the gold at the end I think his addition has given the ride a nice flow.

On Splash, I don't like getting wet, and even if I did I still wouldn't ride it unless it were a warm day. The first time I went on it, I really liked it, but since then it has been underwhelming. I don't feel I've missed out on anything if I don't ride it during a trip to DL.

• living in the sprawl

Blog Entries

I'm gonna go with Splash Mountain. It's always been a favorite. Plus, with Pirates refurb and all... I'm definitely not a big fan of it anymore. Oh, and I'm definitely a sucker for thrill rides.

One thing I like about Pirates is that at the time it opened, its story was original to the ride. Now, I like Song of the South as much as the next guy, but Pirates has always been a symbol of Disneyland for me and a must-ride. If I go home having missed Splash, I really don't notice, but if I miss POC I am bummed.
    Toot, Whistle, Plunk, and Boom.

• Here's my 2 cents

Pirates, for all the positive reasons listed above.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• =)

Pirates, for sure. Splash Mountain is great, but Pirates boasts quicker-moving lines, a longer ride, less risk of getting soaked on a cold day, fantastically convincing interior theming, less cutesiness, and so forth.

• ~Mambo Italiano~

It was very tough for me I must add but I ended up going with POTC because the opening scenery as you pass BB and go down that dark unsuspecting drop. Love it.

• ~Mambo Italiano~

*POTC has 72%*

• Choir nerd

I don't think these two rides are even in the same class. Pirates is dark ride first, thrill ride second, while Splash Mt. is the opposite. If this was WDW Splash vs. WDW POTC, Splash might have a chance, but not at DLR.

• We Go On.

^In my opinion, both POTC and Splash Mountain are inferior to their DLR counterparts. Splash Mountain here has wonderful, rich music in contrast to WDW's irritating, redundant soundtrack. One thing better about WDW's POTC is their amazing, IJA-quality queue. However, our Pirates experience, ride-wise, is much better, having Blue Bayou, the talking skull (in a more visible location), extended caverns, two slightly larger drops, and a good transition back to New Orleans Square.

For the battle between DLR's Splash and Pirates, I chose Pirates- simply because it's a classic and I can't miss it on a day at Disneyland. I love Splash Mountain, but it isn't as important on my list as POTC. Maybe that's because I don't want to get drenched.

• ~Mambo Italiano~

Quote Originally Posted by Noski View Post
    I don't think these two rides are even in the same class. Pirates is dark ride first, thrill ride second, while Splash Mt. is the opposite. If this was WDW Splash vs. WDW POTC, Splash might have a chance, but not at DLR.
    Well if you consider deeper logic they actually are more compatible with each other than other attractions. I went through tons of comparisons before leaving it at this.

I had to go with Pirates. The overall experience is just too great - I love every single scene and I don't think I'd ever get tired of it. Splash is a lot of fun, but there's just a lot less to look at. PotC is a classic forever, in spite of Captain Jack.

Also, this is just a personal gripe, but the scenes in Splash that actually have a lot to look at were always mildly less enjoyable for me because I was always cold in the indoor scenes. Pirates is pretty cold inside, too, but you're not wet.
    Last edited by PleaseRemainSeated; 06-03-2009 at 08:09 PM. Reason: typo hunting
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast