Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Shubisha

Re: Why do they only celebrate christmas at Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey
    They are the commercialized version. Disneyland doesn't market Christmas, but rather a sense of "Holiday Magic." They try to evoke the happiness and magic of "The Holidays" not through religion and all that stuff but magical decorations, christmas lights, and a big hug from Santa Mickey. They do all that and at the same utilize it as a way for advertising.
    My problem is that they claim to be celebrating a holiday season and not religion, but are still exlusive. We can put up all these christmas decorations and it's okay, no religious intent at all, it's entirely secular. But putting up anything chanukah related would immediately be too religious.

No they can't make everyone happy all year long but they chose to celebrate the winter holiday season and being inclusive would not take much effort on their part.
    And hence why, like in my original thread about it, I still urge anyone who agrees it might be a nice addition to go visit city hall and make a kind request.

• The Unknown Princess

Quote Originally Posted by almandot
    My problem is that they claim to be celebrating a holiday season and not religion, but are still exlusive. We can put up all these christmas decorations and it's okay, no religious intent at all, it's entirely secular. But putting up anything chanukah related would immediately be too religious.
    Though if actually look back into what a Christmas tree stood for it wasn't about Christ's Birth. It was to celebrate the Winter solstice. Then again it is another Spiritual/Religious celebration.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Chanukah decorations. I'd probably go "oh pretty" but not know the meaning.
    Always keep smiling because you never know who is falling in love with it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Part of the Disney Ohana

--------------------------------------------------------

• Shubisha

Regardless of what they signify, the christmas decorations are still related to a certain holiday be it an American version or not. But more importantly in what my point was, Chanukah decorations have as little to do with actual Jewish religious beliefs as a christmas tree does with jesus' birth.

And on a side note, I'd found this while looking stuff up during my original threads. Its source is from wikipedia so dispute it as you wish
    Christmas Tree
    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia.org
    The modern custom, however, cannot be shown to be descended from pagan tradition directly. Its origins can be traced to 16th century Germany: Ingeborg Weber-Keller (Marburg professor of European ethnology) identified as the earliest reference a Bremen guild chronicle of 1570 which reports how a small fir was decorated with apples, nuts, dates, pretzels and paper flowers, and erected in the guild-house, for the benefit of the guild members' children, who collected the dainties on Christmas day.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by dizzydisneydee
    Though if actually look back into what a Christmas tree stood for it wasn't about Christ's Birth. It was to celebrate the Winter solstice. Then again it is another Spiritual/Religious celebration.
    regardless of where the "church' stole the idea from to convert people to the new "religion" it is now very much a part of the christian tradition.
    If you can't beat them join them.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123