•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Question about "The Strawberry Field"

A while back on Mouseplanet, like maybe a year or so ago, they talked about an Anaheim proposal to build some sort of road through the middle of the property. The road would be a grand boulivard with palm trees and provide a direct link to Angel Stadium. Did anything come of this or am I mistaken on the location?

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Re: Question about "The Strawberry Field"

Well, they aren't forever. I remember that when the family sold the field to Disney, there was a stipulation that the fields continue to be harvested for 5 years after the sale date. They were bought in 2004 I believe, so next year something can be done. I would think a new parking structure would best serve the resort area.

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post
    A while back on Mouseplanet, like maybe a year or so ago, they talked about an Anaheim proposal to build some sort of road through the middle of the property. The road would be a grand boulivard with palm trees and provide a direct link to Angel Stadium. Did anything come of this or am I mistaken on the location?
    Oh man, a direct link to the Angel's Stadium would be so difficult, haha. This is probably going to be used for a future parking structure.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I really want to find that old story now. I remember people being peeved about it.

EDIT:
    Link to the story. Can anyone elaborate? Hmm, turns out this was a 2005 story. I must have stumbled across it last year not noticing the published date. Awe, the story was published in the same update as Eisner's resignation. No wonder no one remembers it, we were all to busy celebrating.
    Last edited by Trevor; 06-03-2009 at 10:59 PM.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Possibly mistaken - Angel Stadium is on the other side of the I-5 freeway and a good two miles away, and if you draw a straight line across at Citrus Drive / Gene Autry Way there are a lot of residential and commercial properties in the way that would have to be removed or relocated. Oh, and the freeway they would have to bridge across or tunnel under.

Then they would have that new road cutting across the middle of their expansion lot, which might complicate plans for whatever they end up building there.

It would be a whole lot easier, faster and cheaper to widen and and "Resort District-ify" Katella Ave. and/or Orangewood Ave. over to the Stadium though. They are already dedicated strets.

Orangewood Ave. is a 4-lane secondary street that is a few blocks south of the Third Theme Park land and goes to the south side of Angel Stadium. It could probably stand to be widened and cleaned up a bit.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Possibly mistaken - Angel Stadium is on the other side of the I-5 freeway and a good two miles away, and if you draw a straight line across at Citrus Drive / Gene Autry Way there are a lot of residential and commercial properties in the way that would have to be removed or relocated. Oh, and the freeway they would have to bridge across or tunnel under.

Then they would have that new road cutting across the middle of their expansion lot, which might complicate plans for whatever they end up building there.

It would be a whole lot easier, faster and cheaper to widen and and "Resort District-ify" Katella Ave. and/or Orangewood Ave. over to the Stadium though. They are already dedicated strets.

Orangewood Ave. is a 4-lane secondary street that is a few blocks south of the Third Theme Park land and goes to the south side of Angel Stadium. It could probably stand to be widened and cleaned up a bit.

--<< Bruce >>--
    On the link I provided above, it seems that back then Anaheim planned to do all of that in order to make this new "Grand Parkway." I find it as strange as you belive me. Im glad its died away now or else the third gate would have been impossible.

• Senior Minion

I think I had vaguely heard about that idea, but hadn't heard the details. It's a kind of interesting idea, but that would have sucked if they ruined any chance for a third theme park there. I would think that plan is pretty dead now though. I think the economy has had a major impact on the plans for the platinum triangle and there wouldn't support for that extravagent of a project, expecially if Disney decided to be against it. The fact that they fought the Sun Cal housing project so much which would have been adjacent to the field makes it seem as if Disney still hopes to build a park there one day. So I would think this road plan must have been abandoned by the city soon after that article was written.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney