Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Still lost in Neverland

Too many rides are breaking down

One of our regular customers came into the book store I help out on Wednesdays. I have been telling him how great Disneyland is now so he and some friends went last weekend. The Matterhorn broke down early in the day and was not operational for most of the day. Space Mountain was down for 3/4 of the day. They were stuck on Pirates for over an hour just sitting and watching the pirate ship bombard the fort. No warning, no announcemnets at all for an hour. The boats just bobbled in the water in the middle of a battle scene, the lights never came up for that hour. Splash was also down. Big Thunder also went down sometime during the day and was down for hours. Needless to say he was not impressed with the "New and Improved" Disneyland.

What the heck is going on out there. I thought T. Irby and his ilk were gone and that the rides were being taken care of. This is just not right. Here I am building the Park up on how great it is, and this has to happen to someone I know through a workplace and he was not happy. Never got to go on Space Mountain or Matterhorn or Big Thunder. I wish I could remember which day he was there, but I can't.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Minion

Re: Too many rides are breaking down

It happens...

• Minion

You have to remember that the 'safer' the park gets, the more often the attractions are going to go down temporarily. For example, Winnie the Pooh honey vehicles have a low bumper where the car meets the track which are sensitive to pressure. That was created on the attraction as an answer after the injury on Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, where a small child fell out of a vehicle and got crushed under another vehicle and the track. As a result, the cars will stop if they were to hit a child, but they will also stop if they hit anything else (i.e., dropped autograph books, hats, etc.), which is bad, since it will cause a safety cut-out, shutting down the ride system.
    With all the safety codes demanded on the theme park industry, it's a wonder that the attractions are allowed to operate at all. Breakdowns are annoying for guests and ride operators alike. It's an added precaution. After all, it's better for attractions to close for a few hours as a result of a safety shutdown than to close forever as a result of guest injury/death.

• Resident DL'er

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR
    You have to remember that the 'safer' the park gets, the more often the attractions are going to go down temporarily. For example, Winnie the Pooh honey vehicles have a low bumper where the car meets the track which are sensitive to pressure. That was created on the attraction as an answer after the injury on Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, where a small child fell out of a vehicle and got crushed under another vehicle and the track. As a result, the cars will stop if they were to hit a child, but they will also stop if they hit anything else (i.e., dropped autograph books, hats, etc.), which is bad, since it will cause a safety cut-out, shutting down the ride system.
    With all the safety codes demanded on the theme park industry, it's a wonder that the attractions are allowed to operate at all. Breakdowns are annoying for guests and ride operators alike. It's an added precaution. After all, it's better for attractions to close for a few hours as a result of a safety shutdown than to close forever as a result of guest injury/death.
    It seems as time goes by safety regulations just keep getting more and more strict, and companies these days just can't afford the ridiculous amounts of lawsuits that range from anything under the sun.

• Wonderful World

Man if this is true my friends arent gonna be happy they are there tommorow.

BTW this is my last post till December Goodbye!
    I'm back MiceChat

The Indy lines must have been long.

• OM NOM NOM

Grizzly, Madness, Boomer and Wheel have all been down lately for various reasons. Unfortunately, they all seem to be happening at the same time. *_* Conspiracy? No. Annoying? Yes.
    Make something Idiot-Proof, and someone will build a better Idiot.

• Part of Your World

That really sucks because most of the time Disneyland is fantastic. Now he thinks you are nuts and that park blows.

• insufferable know-it-all

"We need to ride these rides to failure to save money" - Paul Pressler

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• My Children's Father

If safety systems as described for Pooh are causing frequent unjustified shutdowns, there ought to be something designed into the systems that allows a rapid restart once it is discovered that no real emergency exists. There should be an expectation for such things as people dropping their autograph book or plush toy .........

Maybe Disney does need a new IT manager ...... if the problems are computer based ....
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda
    Maybe Disney does need a new IT manager ...... if the problems are computer based ....
    Only problem is that the IT manager is not in charge of the computers that run the attractions.

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by erick13
    Only problem is that the IT manager is not in charge of the computers that run the attractions.

Methinks that might not be the only problem .........
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Former CM

The attractions are controlled by specialized computers that are not supplied or maintained by the IT dept. I believe that it fall to the facilities teams to take care of them. Plus the computers that control the attractions are very outdated by computer standards. Even the space shuttle is the same way.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy
    One of our regular customers came into the book store I help out on Wednesdays. I have been telling him how great Disneyland is now so he and some friends went last weekend. The Matterhorn broke down early in the day and was not operational for most of the day. Space Mountain was down for 3/4 of the day. They were stuck on Pirates for over an hour just sitting and watching the pirate ship bombard the fort. No warning, no announcemnets at all for an hour. The boats just bobbled in the water in the middle of a battle scene, the lights never came up for that hour. Splash was also down. Big Thunder also went down sometime during the day and was down for hours. Needless to say he was not impressed with the "New and Improved" Disneyland.

What the heck is going on out there. I thought T. Irby and his ilk were gone and that the rides were being taken care of. This is just not right. Here I am building the Park up on how great it is, and this has to happen to someone I know through a workplace and he was not happy. Never got to go on Space Mountain or Matterhorn or Big Thunder. I wish I could remember which day he was there, but I can't.
    Wow, what was open?

• Still lost in Neverland

Not much. They did eventually get to ride Space Mountain and he agreed that it was fantastic. They never got back on Pirates because the wasted an hour just sitting in the boat. Indy they never got back too either. They did not ride many e-ticket rides that day. But, the good thing is he knows from what I have been telling them for the last year or so that things are being taken care of in the best way they can, considering the small budget for rides that Pressler and Harris left as thier legacy. He knows that things will get better, so while his friends were very upset, he was pretty cool about it.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast