Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Could The Swiss Family Treehouse return?

The current entrance is a major hazard and obstacle. You have people on the sides and people staring at the entrance as with any attraction. It is a bother to get though that area of adventureland with a scooter let alone walking.

They should return it to the old way which was fun and interesting. They will not do that as they need the money elsewhere like kitchens and repairs. Disney is about legal issues such as avoiding lawsuits, safety issues like removing the mule ride, and about the marketing draw and profits. Toy Story is a big draw and makes profits from the store next door.

Not going to change and besides why do you think us old ladies go into Tarzan's Treehouse? Eye candy, lol, he is quite a bit of eye candy.

• Stop That!

Is the new film going to be a period piece?

Somehow I doubt refurbishing the attraction to tie into a Will Smith film will result in the Treehouse you all are hoping for...

• back in Austin

I haven't been on the old version of the treehouse since '78, so I don't remember. Where was the entrance before it was in the middle of the walkway? Anyone have a photo?

• Minion

>>I haven't been on the old version of the treehouse since '78, so I don't remember. Where was the entrance before it was in the middle of the walkway? Anyone have a photo?<<

Re-Imagineering: Escape to Paradise

Swiss Family Treehouse at Yesterland

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_c4OIkT0wtl...+-+j+lacey.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...9Treehouse.jpg

• Here's my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by RenMan View Post
    I haven't been on the old version of the treehouse since '78, so I don't remember. Where was the entrance before it was in the middle of the walkway? Anyone have a photo?
    The entrance was just a break in the fence near where the exit is now, trusty Yesterland has some pics
    Swiss Family Treehouse at Yesterland
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I've said it before. I really don't care if it's Tarzan's Treehouse or if it is Swiss. My complaint is the manner in which they decided to present the current Treehouse and the lack of "rooms" in the tree itself. With Swiss there just seemed to be so much more. Not having a Disney Store Display starring me down certainly helped.

They could easily have converted or added on to the old Swiss and made it Tarzan without all the Disney Store displays. That is my complaint... not who is in it, but how it was displayed there.

I also feel it does detract from the experience driven theme of Adventureland. We can explore a Temple with Indy, or search through the depths of the Jungle Cruise. Then when we're done lets look at a static cartoon character in a treehouse!
    It sounds like what people loved about the original attraction were the features and atmosphere, not necessarily the film involved. If that's the case, perhaps the feel of the SFRT could be restored while keeping the current theme?

Take down the figures and story-telling books, remove the Phil Collins music and put in more atmospheric "jungle" music and soundscapes, add a new water wheel and restore the plumbing and pulley features, and give the place a more "lived-in" feel, with more furniture and other amenities of home. It could feel more like you were touring Tarzan's working treehouse instead of reliving the story. And it wouldn't even be that expensive (I think).

The treehouse doesn't have to be exactly like it is in the Tarzan movie, it's the atmosphere that's important.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    It sounds like what people loved about the original attraction were the features and atmosphere, not necessarily the film involved.
    Or that they could APPRECIATE and enjoy the set without having to know the movie first. The whimsical pieces could stand on their own without introduction.

That is the part that makes the tree house so approachable.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

>>It sounds like what people loved about the original attraction were the features and atmosphere, not necessarily the film involved.<<

I loved both.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    It sounds like what people loved about the original attraction were the features and atmosphere, not necessarily the film involved. If that's the case, perhaps the feel of the SFRT could be restored while keeping the current theme?

Take down the figures and story-telling books, remove the Phil Collins music and put in more atmospheric "jungle" music and soundscapes, add a new water wheel and restore the plumbing and pulley features, and give the place a more "lived-in" feel, with more furniture and other amenities of home. It could feel more like you were touring Tarzan's working treehouse instead of reliving the story. And it wouldn't even be that expensive (I think).

The treehouse doesn't have to be exactly like it is in the Tarzan movie, it's the atmosphere that's important.
    Essentially... yes... however if memory serves me correctly Swiss simply had more rooms. It had more to look at. It was not a prerequisite that you see the movie... a treehouse is a treehouse. Tarzan tries to tell a story, Swiss let you experience a treehouse. With minimal effort they could have dropped in Tarzan Props and then let the Guest decide if the treehouse is Tarzan or Swiss. This would have related to multiple generations. Instead they setup a Disney Store display, which IMHO absolutely kills the atmosphere of it being a treehouse.

So if they clear out the treehouse, make some real rooms with a lot of cool things to look at, then yes I think it would work. It isn't the "Tarzan" part that annoys me. It's the way it is presented.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

My goodness, lots of nah sayers here today.

After reading thru 3 pages of posts and about 1/2 of them saying Disney will never give the tree house back to the Swiss Family for a movie, does everyone forget that silly Orange Fish?

I'm guessing it cost 10 times (or more) as much to turn the Submarines into Nemo's subs than it would cost to put the Swiss Family back in their Tree House! If Disney thinks it will (a) sell tickets to the movie and/or (b) can be used to lour folks to the park, they'll do it.

MerlinJones; I Love the Movie and the Attraction too and I'm not talking about Tarzan!

Someone asked about the water system, while the water wheel and gutters are all missing, the pond at the base of the tree is still there and flowing as nice as ever.
    To view old Disneyland and Theme park tickets, visit my blog at:

http://vintagedisneylandtickets.blogspot.com/

• Life is Good

As you might guess from my name, I loved the movie growing up, but the tree house always disappointed me as a kid because it wasn't close enough to what I saw in the movie -- and of course that I couldn't get inside of those rooms.

Tarzan's Treehouse was an understandable update I guess and when it first opened my children loved it. Of course that was back when it was staffed with cast members who did some interaction and interpretation, including I believe animals or at least insects to learn about. It does allow guests an even higher birds-eye view of the park than the old one too, which is kinda cool.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Tickets View Post
    After reading thru 3 pages of posts and about 1/2 of them saying Disney will never give the tree house back to the Swiss Family for a movie, does everyone forget that silly Orange Fish?

I'm guessing it cost 10 times (or more) as much to turn the Submarines into Nemo's subs than it would cost to put the Swiss Family back in their Tree House! If Disney thinks it will (a) sell tickets to the movie and/or (b) can be used to lour folks to the park, they'll do it.
    If the movie is a success then they may do an overlay after the fact, similar to TSI. But Disney doesn't generally overlay an attraction until the movie is proven to be popular. So it's "possible" but not probable, and not likely to happen in the very near future.

But Disney doesn't generally overlay an attraction until the movie is proven to be popular.
    Good point, but that begs the question; How did Tarzan get an overlay, I'm not sure I would call the movie a "hit".?

But as you said, maybe we'll get a Swiss Tree house IF the movie is a hit, I sure hope so, I'm willing to wait....
    To view old Disneyland and Theme park tickets, visit my blog at:

http://vintagedisneylandtickets.blogspot.com/

• "I Break Things"

Good point, but that begs the question; How did Tarzan get an overlay, I'm not sure I would call the movie a "hit".?
    Tarzan was actually extremely popular when it was released. It also happened to come out at a time when Disney was really starting to push character product. Several scenes in Tarzan were actually done with Jungle Cruise in mind... and initially there was talk of overlaying Jungle (that flew over like a lead balloon). In the end Treehouse ended up being "it".

That was a GC nightmare while they worked on it! Adventureland, and POC Bridge were both deadends... in Fantasmic GC we called it the Green Wall of Doom! Fantasmic CM's had to basically split NOS in half, with half traffic going out one way, and incoming waiting for next show lining up the other way... real mess...

• Banned User

But as you said, maybe we'll get a Swiss Tree house IF the movie is a hit, I sure hope so, I'm willing to wait....
    Tarzan has cool jungle moves and a sexy body so the boys like the way Tarzan can move like a surfer on the tree limbs while us ladies love the rippling muscles and lack of clothing.

Also now the disabled can access part of the attaction.

I say never as Disney has DCa to think of and would there be a draw from the treehouse chaning? NO

Nemo turned an unused ride into a hit ride which kids love and which sells lots of merchandise.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast