Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Matterhorn

• Warm Hugging Anna

The Matterhorn

Is it just me or dose the Matterhorn need some touch up on it like add new snow to it. Or painting it. To me every time I see it, it looks faded that the snow on it is disapering on it. I think they need to up date it some with a new coat of paint or what ever they did to make it look like there is snow on the mt. like how they re painted the castle. So dose anyone else agree with me on this?

• Collision speed....FULL!

Re: The Matterhorn

It needs a lot more snow. At least if they paint the "rock" a darker shade (like how it use to be) the contrast of the white and the gray would make the snow appear whiter--a technique HKDL will use on their expansion in the smoggy atmosphere. The ride itself could use some more too, especially along the tracks (Real bobsleds run on snow right? Not rock--hence the bumpiness ). It seems like the only area of the Matterhorn that actually has ice and snow is the middle "core"; the rest of the mountain surrounding the track is all flecked concrete "rock". They could use more snow, ice and icicles through out the entire ride as in the concept art I did a little while ago.

• Disneyland History Lover

The Matterhorn clearly needs to be darker. If you look at pictures of the actual mountain it's a more greyish colored then Disneyland's more tan colored version. If it were darker the snow would stand out significantly more than it does now. I think the Matterhorn will always be somewhat awkward as it's a giant replica of a Swiss mountain in the middle of a Disney park, but it could definitely look a lot better. In addition to that, the trees have gotten too large, which hurts the forced perspective. If they were a bit smaller as they initially were with a few smaller false trees as the mountain gets higher, the effect would be quite a bit better.

• Warm Hugging Anna

That would be neet to see that happen. I hope someone from Disney is reading this HAHA. Like I said it needs an update.

I agree a touch up would be nice. I would also like to see a renovation to take advantage of the entire mountain.

• =)

Y'know, I usually don't like the look of the Matterhorn's old paint job when I see it in photos, but the colors actually were quite close to the real Matterhorn's. I think my issue is not with the colors, but with the way the paint was applied. The snow just didn't look right. Compare this photo to this one. Very similar colors, but the snow is a lot more blotchy and unconvincing on the old DL Matterhorn. Some of the rockwork itself just doesn't look that great in that photo, either.

So yeah...while I'm generally not bothered by the Matterhorn's current look, I wouldn't mind greater faithfulness to the real thing.

• Collision speed....FULL!

Well, you know, they really couldn't do much in 1959.

• Trouble a'Bruin

Could the snow be melting b/c of global warming?
    but yeah it probably would be good to repaint it and the bobsleds. but the ride itself is fun!
    I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing-it was all started by a mouse

• Disney/Anime/Furry Fan

Matterhorn won't be getting another refurbishment due to popular Summer Vacation season.

• Bonjour Mes Amis

Rosies Bar sipping upon a nice cold Grape Nehi ... pass the pretzels please

For some time now, I have thought as I continue to do so, that the Matterhorn should have a family of yeti. So a mama, a papa, and at least one junior. I would really be entertained to see that.
    I don't doubt that a bit of updating with the color scheme might be nice.
    The real Matterhorn is beautiful. Disney's version of it, in my opinion is wonderful.

Here is a photograph of the genuine Matterhorn, in Switzerland:

Now Disney's version:

Ah..... one cannot compare fairly the smog laden sky of So. Ca. with the pristine beauty of clean air, and land of Switzerland. One can try though.

There are so many beautiful and breathtaking images of Europe.
    Follies of the Living..............Concerns of the Dead

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Fresh coats of paint! Whiter snow, darker rock.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Stinker Bell View Post
    Ah..... one cannot compare fairly the smog laden sky of So. Ca. with the pristine beauty of clean air, and land of Switzerland.
    True, but neither of those photos have particularly accurate colors. The real Matterhorn photo appears to have been oversaturated with the computer, and the DL shot looks more washed-out than the real thing does.

• We Go On.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Y'know, I usually don't like the look of the Matterhorn's old paint job when I see it in photos, but the colors actually were quite close to the real Matterhorn's. I think my issue is not with the colors, but with the way the paint was applied. The snow just didn't look right. Compare this photo to this one. Very similar colors, but the snow is a lot more blotchy and unconvincing on the old DL Matterhorn. Some of the rockwork itself just doesn't look that great in that photo, either.

So yeah...while I'm generally not bothered by the Matterhorn's current look, I wouldn't mind greater faithfulness to the real thing.
    I think the new paint job, although a bit less accurate, makes the mountain seem larger with many smaller patches of snow as opposed to a few huge blotches. However, I think painting the rock darker and adding just a little snow near the tracks would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by LangenFox View Post
    Matterhorn won't be getting another refurbishment due to popular Summer Vacation season.
    If Disney decided to do this right now it would not happen nearly that soon.

• Warm Hugging Anna

Yeah they could do the matterhorn durning peck season. I didn't mean for them to do it now all I was asking if you think it need a up date to me it looks faded and needs work on.

• Favorite movie ever

Blog Entries

I looked at the photo that Stinker bell posted, and I definately agree that the snow needs to be whiter, and there should be some miniature houses surrounding the area to make the photo more realistic
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra5drgntKOI

I'M LOOKING THROUGH YOU...WHERE DID YOU GO?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast